Thread: emeregency stuff for travel

Default emeregency stuff for travel

There are a few tools and supplies which I like to have nearby at all times when playing, traveling with, or working on, my instruments. I just thought I'd mention them and their function.

Small screw driver with reversable blade for both small standard and phillips screws.

Smallest wire cutter available for strings.

Small chunk of violin rosin for increasing friction of moving parts when necessary.

Smallest container of sewing machine oil to lubricate sticky tuners, etc.

Two extra E strings. (I only break E strings.)

Small cotton rag for cleanup.

Clip on tuner (or tuning fork).

Small cloth string closed bag to hold above if no case compartment is availble.
    These will get me through any emergency other than glue failure.
    Bart McNeil

Default Re: emeregency stuff for travel

How about a string winder? Lots easier and faster if you do break a string, and it doesn't take up much room.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Great list. For my tailpiece and working on strings I have a small hemostat (from fishing store) that makes dealing with the pointy ends easy. Also helpful if you drop your pick on a f-hole.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Blog Entries

If when traveling by air, be sure to tuck that bag into a checked bag or you'll lose your cutters at the airport.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Electronic tuner, Fast Fret, a small selection of 50 cent picks - and maybe (but not always) a spare set of strings and a pair of wire clippers. Done

As to the wire cutters, I have a funny story. Last year we flying back from Knoxville. I had inadvertently left a churchkey bottle opener in my pocket. I apologized to the TSA guy and asked if he could just pitch it. He looked at me and said I could keep it. It wasn't a problem. Then he proceeded to confiscate a pint of apple butter my wife had with her. I politely questioned the reasoning of this. He apologized and said he was just following the rules............

"How about a string winder? Lots easier and faster if you do break a string, and it doesn't take up much room."

I doh't use a winder. I only have my strings wound as few times around the post before cutting so it isn't an issue.
    Bart McNeil

Here's a link to an article from a recent issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine where Stevie Coyle talks about the stuff he takes to gigs:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...rticleID=27616
    EdSherry

Good list
    I have a small plastic box that lives in my case , picks , tuner/spare battery , capo(for bouzouki) , a mini pliers/screwdrivers , a nailclipper , small swiss army knife/scissors/nail file
    Throw in a spare pick to lend to guitar players

In my music bag a LED music stand light , a spare sm57(in case a pickup breaks) , a sm58(in case the bar's mic smells like beer and sweat) , cables , strings , DI box/spare battery , pen/notebook

The pliers came in handy recently when one of the tuners buttons broke

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    If when traveling by air, be sure to tuck that bag into a checked bag or you'll lose your cutters at the airport.

Jamie
    Good point. A couple of years ago I nearly lost a Swiss Army knife that way. I'd had it for over 5O years and it had great sentimental as well as practical value to me.
    Luckily, the airport shop outside the security gate carried mailing envelopes and postage, so I was able to ship it back home.

That brings up something. A Swiss Army knife is really useful for this kind of thing. Depending on the model you can get pliers, screw drivers, tweezers etc
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.