Thread: Bluegrass Week at Augusta Heritage - WV

Default Bluegrass Week at Augusta Heritage - WV

I'm interested in hearing any cafe members experience at this "camp". Thinking of going this year. Also any mando players who have done the Blues week.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Default Re: Bluegrass Week at Augusta Heritage - WV

I"m going this year, am signed up for Jesse Brock's class. I have generally heard really good things about all of Augusta's camps.
    Cary Fagan

I haven't been to Bluegrass week in at least 25 years, but I've been to Blues week about a dozen times. I've done mando classes with Rich DelGrosso, Steve James and Andra Faye and had a good time and learned a lot in all of them.

D.H.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've been to Bluegrass week for the past 4 years. Really enjoyed a week of classes from the likes of Sharon Gilchrist, Mike Compton, and Herschel Sizemore. I'll be in Jesse Brock's class this year too! (Look forward to meeting Cary.)

I've really enjoyed the format of relatively small classes; a single teacher for the whole week so that we can really dig in on things, and the great jams that happen every night in various places on campus. Get to see some friends that I ONLY get to see at Augusta.

Only down side is that I can't make myself go to bed early enough each night.
    (or is that an 'up side' ?)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    ... Only down side is that I can't make myself go to bed early enough each night.
    (or is that an 'up side' ?)
    No matter what the official times are, quiet hours are really 4-9 am.

D.H.

Hey Phil, look forward to meeting you too. My wife Rebecca is also coming up for bass. Can't wait.
    Cary Fagan

I did the intermediate mandolin with Phil a few years back. We had the great Sharon Gilchrist as our teacher and I thought she did an awesome job of teaching the class of varying levels of ability. Like Phil said, the jams around campus in evening are great in many locations and there are jams of all speeds for everyone involved. I'd highly recommend it!

Been to many Augustas and love the environment and the multitude of other arts and music going on, You do have to realize that you are working primarily with the one main teacher of your choice, different than some other camp models, so you are at the "mercy" of that teachers strength and weaknesses. Good emphasis on "tradition" and the "old masters". (It's mission is Appalachian Folkloric from the get-go). Had a great time with Herschel Sizemore a few years back.
    Lots of hills to walk, the food is "ehhhh". I'll happily go back sometimes but this year it's Swannanoa Mandolin Overload!
    I assume you have been to other camps and know about life in college dorm rooms and such. (I'm sucking it up for a motel this year...) If you like music camp you'll like Augusta. Probably love it.
    Colin
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can

Thanks for all the input. I have done Kauf Kamp and the dorm thing. Loved many things about it (not so much the dorm). Want to try something different, but am leaning toward Nashcamp now. I like the idea of learning a couple of songs with a "band" and performing at the end of the week. Seems like it would be a good fit for where I'm at.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Well, my wife and I did Nash Camp last summer and had a great time, really "intimate" setting, Cindy the organizer is a champ. The band thing is indeed great fun, Matt Flinner an excellent laid back teacher. The setting is a bit "austere" and there is not as much other stuff going on at same time so a bit different experience. But it's all good!
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can

I've attended four Bluegrass weeks at Augusta,and enjoyed them immensely. I just like the place. The classes are great,and I'm still learning from them (I've finally learned Baltimore Johnny at a decent tempo from Mz.Gilchrist's wonderful class of '09). Sadly,I'll be missing this year for the second time in a row due to my wife's health problems,but,maybe next year.
    Jim

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've been missing you Jim. Hope you get to come back soon. Unfortunately, I still haven't learned Baltimore Johnny.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”