Thread: Happines is a new workbench (cheap)

Default Happines is a new workbench (cheap)

My shop is not very large, 16' x 24', so most everything is on casters. Knocked together an extra bench on casters to open up more workspace and storage. It's a 24" x 72" top with a 19" x 19" downdraft area for sanding. I use a small downdraft box all the time, the larger surface will come in handy. Plus I made it extra tall to save my bad back. I had my second round of injections today and told I'd be on a 40lb limit from now on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wb2.jpeg 
Views:	302 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	89064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wb3.jpeg 
Views:	286 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	89065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wb1.jpeg 
Views:	346 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	89063

Default Re: Happines is a new workbench (cheap)

Looks good, Doug. I've done a similar thing in my shop. I've remodeled too many kitchens and bathrooms, ending up with these spare old ugly (but fairly solid cabinets). After hanging all I could in the shop, I got the idea to reinforce the bottoms and backs of my old kitchen cabinets (floor models, with counter tops) and put casters on them to roll around. One has a drill press on it, another a bench grinder, another sports my compound miter saw, etc. I can roll them out of the way when not using them and move as necessary to accommodate larger workpieces. Hope the back improves, or at least doesn't get any worse.

Very nice build Doug, looks solid and sturdy. Sorry to hear about your back pain. I used to have to get those spinal injections using xray to guide it into my spine every other week for most of a year but eventually my condition improved enough to do without them. I get around a lot better now with only intermittent down time. I pray yours will improve as well.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Blog Entries

Nice design. Should keep you happy for a long time. Looks like a lower bout separation glue up too.

Blog Entries

Nice design. Should keep you happy for a long time. Looks like a lower bout separation on that fiddle. Thanks for the photos. One day I'll have a better bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards View Post
    Plus I made it extra tall to save my bad back. I had my second round of injections today and told I'd be on a 40lb limit from now on.
    What did you do to your back if I may ask? I'm supposed to get an injection in my lower back/hip-I need one of those in my lower back/hip, an injection so delicate it has to be done by a laser guided machine-needle. Scared me so much I've been putting it off and doing lightweight rehab instead, but theres times when i really know that biting the bullet would just help me out a ton.
    Last edited by ColdBeerGoCubs; Jul-11-2012 at 12:04am.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Nice bench there Doug. I made a very similar one over 20 years ago when i had a garage on my home.I fixed it up with a good vice & a buffing harbour for when i did the ocassional banjo re-furb. Take care of your back as much as you can Doug.I had to take early retirement 5 years ago because of chronic lower back pain & Sciatica.I had an MRI scan on it last November & it turned out that i have just the normal wear & tear problems that go with ageing. Only those of us who've had real back trouble (or experienced it in others) know just how debilitating it is.The last time i had it really bad,was simply through sneezing standing upright.The whiplash effect on my lower back put me in bed for close to 3 weeks - look after that back !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I messed up a couple discs way back. I my Dr finally had me get an MRI ten years ago. I've been just living with it since them. Since we moved to Kerrville over three years ago, my new Dr thought we may try the steroid injections. I had a new MRI which revealed several more problem discs and the L4 -S1 were worse. I had the first injection a month ago. Night and day resuts! I went back yesterday for another and feel great this morning. The procedure results can last weeks or even years. Each person is different and the risks will also vary. Good luck.

My PT said sneezing can be damaging. People have even broken ribs by sneezing.

This could spawn a "show us your workbench" thread

Cheers Gary

Yeah, cool very traditional and sturdy looking workbench!
    I made mine from MDF and 2x6's....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2604.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	89319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2569.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	89320

Blog Entries

Hey--Martin ... you don't expect us to actually believe that you can see your workshop floor, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Hey--Martin ... you don't expect us to actually believe that you can see your workshop floor, do you?
    Hah! Yeah, that was when I had just moved in earlier this year. My boys use the floor as a construction site moving piles of curly maple and mahogany around now...

Tony Bare

Of all the things that have gone out of my shop,I guess one of the things that I am the most proud and have gotten the most use from is my workbench. It is make from red oak that was cut,sawed,dried and milled on my land. The top is 30x60x4inches. The top was so heavy I had to set it on the legs with my tractor. The legs are 4x4 oak with mortis and through tenon joints. I flattened the top with a router on a floating sled. It has a tail vise and a shoulder vice and 3/4"dog holes every 6" across the whole top. I made it a little higher than normal but I wish it was a couple of inches higher. A workbench can't be too flat,too solid, too sturdy, or have too many ways to clamp stuff to it.