Thread: How to Search for a Specific "multi-word phrase"?

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default How to Search for a Specific "multi-word phrase"?

What do you do to search for a particular multi-word phrase? When the seach is for a series of individual keywords, the results are far too wide. Do you enclose the phrase with some markings? <> " " etc.......

ie. "Optimal finger pressure" rather than optimal, finger, pressure

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Search for a Specific "multi-word phrase"?

I'd recommend bypassing the forum software and using Google to search for phrases. If you mouse over this link below you'll see how to craft that. This is a very common trick to really drill effectively using Google.

So you'd enter in the Google search field: site:mandolincafe.com/forum "optimal finger pressure"

So that says look under mandolincafe.com/forum and search for a phrase (denoted by surrounding the phrase in quotes).

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...er+pressure%22

I know the general expectation is that Forums should be as good a searching themselves as Google, but it's wise to get beyond that paradigm. There's a reason they're the 900 lb. gorilla in search. I use this to search amazon, CNN, and other similar sites.

Thanks, Scott. Didn't know if the Cafe search could do it that way or not. If Google does it fast and easy, great - it's just the results that matter.

On some of these recurring Cafe Q&A topics, I know I'll use particular (N.H.) phrases/descriptions (on previous Cafe posts). I'd post a link to my old posts to current retread threads, if I can get to the results with minimal time/effort.

NH

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Just bumping up this "How-To", so I can find it quickly

Bumping this up since I'm referencing the topic in a post.

HINT: bookmark it or write it down, or whatever, but members bumping threads they want to have access to is not something we're going to entertain long-term.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jul-16-2020 at 7:10am. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines.