Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

Default Re: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

OK, here is some "sound" basic advice:

You should spend AS MUCH AS you feel you can comfortably spend on your instrument. You DO get what you pay fore and you will enjoy the instrument and the process more if it has good tone, is easy to play and gives you back satisfaction and joy.

So if the BL is at the tippy top of your price range, well, good, you're almost there.
    Last edited by dcoventry; Jul-15-2012 at 2:14am.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcoventry For This Useful Post:

That's^ very true. And I want something I can play for years.

Larry, did it take you any time to transition to the wider string spacing on the BL?

I found myself getting caught picking the same string twice on jumps and more complicated picking patterns.

Don't you think it's stating the obvious ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post
    Larry, did it take you any time to transition to the wider string spacing on the BL?

I found myself getting caught picking the same string twice on jumps and more complicated picking patterns.
    Not at all. It felt comfortable right from the start. I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly. I had played a pretty nice early 80's Kentucky for about 15 years. It had a thin neck and standard string spacing. It was OK to play, but just OK. Unfortunately, the mandolin I had for a few years right before buying the Breedlove was a terrible Michael Kelly F model that was dreadful to play. Perhaps that's why the Breedlove felt so comfortable to begin with. But I have played many other mandolins, including some excellent ones, since then and the Breedlove still plays nicer than any other I have played. I'm sure you'll get used to it quickly.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I can't dis-agree enough with Mo Soar's comments about the Breedlove's sounding, as he put it, "Ovation-y". I have played a few Ovation mandolins and thought they sounded terrible (Sorry Ovation owners, that's just my opinion). They sound hollow and weak to me, at least acoustically. Breedlove's have a full and powerful sound.
    Lol, it's "she" not "he", but what I meant by the Ovation comparison was more how Ovation guitars sound in comparison to other acoustic guitars - a very distinct, brighter, louder, sort of "hollower" sound. I've never played an Ovation mandolin.

My Eastman did take a bit of set up, but it was fine-tuning (dropping the action a little, filing the nut a bit) for my playing and string preference. The instrument probably had a generic set-up on it, and I was too new to know what I wanted anyway, so later adjustment was necessary. If I were to put heavier strings on it and play very hard, I'm sure it would buzz like crazy.
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

"Hey guys, I played a Breedlove FF today and absolutely fell in love with it. Played it for hours and hours. "

Your opening phrase told me all I needed to hear. Do yourself a favour and get it. It obviously works for you.
    The fact that you "played it for hours and hours" is the main factor here. You WANTED to play it, so you did, because you enjoyed it so much.

That's what it should be like. The older I get, the more I think life is too short to mess around with things which are just OK. If you are able to get your hands on an instrument you actually love, then that's what you should do.

But you already know that, don't you? You just want some reassurance from some other people. Breedlove are a respected brand. If you like one of their mandolins I can't see how you can go wrong. Go for it.
    David A. Gordon

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Soar View Post
    Lol, it's "she" not "he", but what I meant by the Ovation comparison was more how Ovation guitars sound in comparison to other acoustic guitars - a very distinct, brighter, louder, sort of "hollower" sound. I've never played an Ovation mandolin.

My Eastman did take a bit of set up, but it was fine-tuning (dropping the action a little, filing the nut a bit) for my playing and string preference. The instrument probably had a generic set-up on it, and I was too new to know what I wanted anyway, so later adjustment was necessary. If I were to put heavier strings on it and play very hard, I'm sure it would buzz like crazy.
    Sorry about the gender mixup. I understand better now after your explanation. Because if you were actually equating the Breedlove mandolin tone with a Ovation mandolin tone that would be just silly. They are worlds apart in sound quality. The Breedlove's I have heard definitely lean toward the bright side. Mine came with EXP 74's on it and it was way too bright for my tastes and I would never have bought it had that been my string choice. I use flatwound strings and, with those strings, the mandolin has a warm, balanced tone that I love. Many players like that bright tone and would love the way it sounds with J74's or similar. I'm not sure I agree with the "hollow" description. Maybe the oval sound hole models, but the f-hole models are very typical of f-hole tone IMO, just a little brighter. Ovations, on the other hand are VERY hollow sounding to me. Nothing even close to the typical mandolin tone that, at least Bluegrass players, would expect.

PS - How is that Lafferty Octave? Is it oval hole or f hole? Love the sound of a octave mandolin. I kind of made my own. It's really cheap, but even it sounds awesome to me.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Very true David, thanks for the advice!

I did like the Breedlove very much, but I haven't played anything else in that price range so it's possible I'm just in love with quality instruments (remember: I've been playing on an epiphone since I started).

But regardless, that is a great piece of advice as far as any musical instrument goes.

Playing guitar for about 13 years I've spent WAY too much frustration and money going from mediocre guitar to mediocre guitar

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    PS - How is that Lafferty Octave? Is it oval hole or f hole? Love the sound of a octave mandolin. I kind of made my own. It's really cheap, but even it sounds awesome to me.
    It's a 21" scale with a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. It doesn't sound like any other octave I've ever played (not that I've played all that many). I'm having a little trouble with the fret distances, compared to a regular mandolin, but it's getting better....
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Soar View Post
    It's a 21" scale with a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. It doesn't sound like any other octave I've ever played (not that I've played all that many). I'm having a little trouble with the fret distances, compared to a regular mandolin, but it's getting better....
    I've been interested in these, too... any chance you could put up a YouTube of yours in action?

I want a Breedlove OO style.
    Last edited by emitfo; Jul-15-2012 at 6:46pm. Reason: Thought it might be over the top
    Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

Speaking of YouTube videos, if anyone has or knows of a video of someone playing a few year old Breedlove it would be awesome if you could link it.

I have a Breedlove OO and have been very happy with it. I came from guitar, so the transition was a little easier with the wider string spacing. It plays easily and has a tone that has grown with playing. That said, there were tones I was hearing I couldn't get from it. I found a great deal on a used Weber Gallatin. It's well set up, plays easily, and has a great but different tone. For all that, I'm hanging on to my Breedlove, and I still play it several times a week.

Haven't played higher-end PacRims or other Breedloves, but I definitely got more than my money's worth.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

16. The following members say thank you to Sid Simpson for this post:

How do you like your Weber? Obviously they're great instruments, but how does it measure up to (past?) your Breedlove?

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post
    How do you like your Weber? Obviously they're great instruments, but how does it measure up to (past?) your Breedlove?
    They are VERY different beasts tonally, so it's kind of like comparing a dreadnaught Martin with a Gibson Blues King, or elephants and lions. The Breedlove is louder and rounder in tone, the Weber more subtle and even. It's an older instrument that has been played, so it feels a bit richer and fuller. It also plays better up the neck and has a more consistent feel to it. The Breedlove lends itself better to vocal accompaniment and slower pieces, as it has more sustain.

There's a reason players have multiple instruments. It's not all due to MAS! I haven't been playing long enough to have really settled in myself to a style or approach, so I enjoy exploring the differences and discovering new things every time I play.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

19. The following members say thank you to Sid Simpson for this post:

I figured that you'd say that.

Well it sounds like I have some trying around to do!
    - Jack

Breedlove Quartz FF
    Fender Custom Shop '57 relic Stratocaster
    Rosewood Taylor

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Blog Entries

My take on how you spend your money is, have a budget, play everything you can, and buy the best sounding and playing one you can afford that will inspire you to play. I had a Breedlove KF and I appreciated the natural finish and really liked the body design. I also really enjoy my Eastman mandolins. My (everyone who posted) have different experineces. If you loved and can afford that Breedlove, go for it and let owning it inspire you to play often and your best. If you have doubts or money is an issue, consider alternatitves, including saving a while longer to get your heart's delight.

I had a chance over the weekend to lay hands on four different Brentrup mandolins, a five course Old Wave, and a Ludwig. It was incredible how different each was from the other. I went away with a favorite of the bunch and a renewed appreciation of my favorite personal mandolin. We have many discussions here on the player vs. the instrument and the instrument vs the player. I believe it is a combination of both and finding a right fit. I don't think you have to invest a fortune into an instrument to get a great one that inspires you. I don't think you have to feel like you have to settle either. I will just say, don't spend more than you can afford, but, as my host did, he made sacrifices, he could afford to acquire the one he really wanted. Well done.

I think trying a poorly set up instrument during purchase decision time is like test driving cars with flat tires. Set up is critical. It can be adjusted but not having the instruments set up well (I don't mean also kept in tune) in a shop only hurts their chances of making a sale.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

22. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

There is no arguement. Lots of great mandolins out there, any and many of which you could fall in love with. Follow your heart and get playing.

Be confident that no matter what you get you are going to wonder if perhaps you should have checked out a few mor.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've played a couple of FF models when helping a friend look for a mandolin. At first I didn't want to like them cause of the non-traditional look, but the sales person was persistent for me to try it out and I was impressed. So that day, we tried a couple more out at different places and they were equally as good and the friend after sampling many mandolins both playing and hearing me play the mandolin, bought one and has been very satisfied with it.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I don't think you have to invest a fortune into an instrument to get a great one that inspires you. I don't think you have to feel like you have to settle either. Jamie

Well said Jamie. You certainly don't have to invest a huge amount of money to get quality. You can get amazing mandolins in the upper end of prices, but you can also get very good mandolins for much less. One of the guys I play in a band with has a Smith Creek that is a killer mandolin. It sounds great in his hands with his playing style. However, when I play it, it just doesn't feel/sound right to me. You have to have something that not only sounds good to you, but also feels right. My Breedlove is a perfect fit for my playing style and the tone I like. I was fortunate. I bought my Quartz OF new, but the store had it on layaway for a customer who put a large deposit on it and never came back to get it. I was able to buy it for $400 less than they normally sold it for because of the deposit. It was my upper end of my spending limit and had it been selling at regular price, I might not be playing a Breedlove today. If you love the instrument and can afford the money, then go for it. You most-likely won't be disappointed with it.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

OP,

Not to muddy the waters at all, but I really like my Silverangel Econo A style F hole mandolin. Bought it used for 900 dollars, and it's a tremendous upgrade from the Kentucky 675-S I was playing at the time. In Austin you should be able to get your hands on a reasonable sampling of mandolins (though I've never been there and may be mistaken)...try as many as you can, come up with some preferences, and then stalk the classifieds here like crazy, or post additional want ads! There are several good choices available in your price range, especially if you're willing to forego the scroll and buy used. And those choices range from factory productions (Breedlove, Gibson, Weber, sometimes Collings) to small shop makers (Ratliff, Ratcliff, Newell, Bulldog, etc).

I very much understand your excitement, and if money weren't an issue for you I'd tell you to go for that Breedlove. But, know that there are some great options available if that doesn't work out--

Good luck!
    Chuck

Having owned a Loar 600, a BL OO and now a BL FF, I wasn't that impressed with my specific OO, which led to the FF, which is a much better instrument and I love it. I prefer the playability of the FF vs. the Loar 600 (neck width and overall size). I also think the BL tone is somewhat better than even a well setup Loar 600....but it's not twice as good. The new BL prices make the Loar 600 a pretty compelling value by comparison.
    ----------------------------------------
    2018 Collings MT2
    2014 Collings MT2

All great advice. I'm already a Café addict! Haha

So I played the FF today and was just as infatuated with the tone, but kind of got frustrated with the string spacing as I was playing some jumpy picking patterns.

For the Breedlove owners, has anyone had trouble transitioning or is this something that I'd get used to quickly, and eventuallu have no problem cross picking etc?

I know mandobassman didn't have trouble with it, but just looking for some more feedback.

I'd be curious about what others say about this as well. The Breedlove was such a nice fit for me it seems hard to believe anyone would have trouble, but everyone is different. I do believe it would take no time at all to adjust, and when you do, you'll probably wonder just how you used to play that "thin" neck.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

There were some tunes/techniques that played very well with the wider neck (namely the guitar-y kind of passages).
    But when it got tough for me was on strict alternate picking runs with jumps like from a downstroke on the E string to an upstroke on the G. Not that that's particularly "easy" on any mandolin, but I was wondering if any Breedlove owners share this problem.
    Last edited by jackmalonis; Jul-16-2012 at 9:03pm. Reason: Typo