Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

I don't know if I have any problems with the wider spacing on my BL compared to others. I can fret two string courses with one fingertip but it involves a flat, calloused fingertip and a little rocking motion. On a "standard" spaced neck this maneuver is much easier and made me go "Hmmm" once or twice but I overcame this and adapted so it's not a problem.

I do like to crosspick my mando and do jump strings. It works fine on my BL. Again, this is an issue of player preference, body size, playing style, skill level, ergonomics, pick stroke efficiency. There's so many little variables that make your mando of choice your mando of choice. So people never worry about these little things and just play what feels right. I classify, categorize, disseminate, compile and compute the results and then forget it all and play what feels right.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Please don't use the forum to promote sales per the guidelines.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jul-17-2012 at 2:11pm. Reason: Refer to posting guidelines.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Having spent the last year or so entertaining this very question, I can give you my perspective. (*for what its worth lol) I love the Breedloves, the fact that they are American made, and the simplicity of them, but ended up buying a Loar LM520. I can ONLY speak of the couple of Breedloves and only THIS Loar, but I am very happy with my Loar. Its opened up very nicely, plays very well and just seems to "fit" me. I can guarantee you that I would have been happy with a Breedlove as well. In the end, its what speaks to you the most. Please keep in mind that I am a rather unorthodox mandolin player, combining banjo, guitar and mandolin styles. So the neck is a breeze to me on the Loar. I chose the 520 because I wanted all bark and no bling.
    Bulldog #24

Thanks for the perspective!!
    I'm going to go play both tomorrow (hopefully the loar is set up now).

I'm kind of just torturing myself at this point since I don't know how long it'll be till I can afford one.

Both bringing the Breedlove and loar

Blog Entries

BTW, I had a few items on my checklist that lead me to buying my Quartz FF.

1. Buy American. I like to support U.S.A. products whenever possible.
    2. Wanted a new mandolin.
    3. Wide spacing.
    4. Good range on the low end.

Sign me up squarely in the American-made camp. It's the number one reason I bought Blondie, my Quartz FF. The second reason is the look. I just like it because it is different. That said, I also have an Eastman 515. She was played hard and not treated very nicely before I bought her to be my camping and festival instrument. They each have a different, distinctive sound. My wife, a nonmusician, prefers the Breedlove. For me, it depends what song I'm playing. The Eastman does bluegrass nicely; the FF, for my ear, does well with Celtic and fiddle tunes. In the end, I think it all comes down to what you feel comfortable playing and what you can afford. And if you don't like what you have after a while, you can sell it, trade up or just buy another and another ...

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Sign me up squarely in the American-made camp. It's the number one reason I bought Blondie, my Quartz FF. The second reason is the look. I just like it because it is different. That said, I also have an Eastman 515. She was played hard and not treated very nicely before I bought her to be my camping and festival instrument. They each have a different, distinctive sound. My wife, a nonmusician, prefers the Breedlove. For me, it depends what song I'm playing. The Eastman does bluegrass nicely; the FF, for my ear, does well with Celtic and fiddle tunes. In the end, I think it all comes down to what you feel comfortable playing and what you can afford. And if you don't like what you have after a while, you can sell it, trade up or just buy another and another ...
    FWIW having tried the high end eastmans, one kentucky , a quite expensive ozark & 2 Breedloves (one quartz & another I forget the model name/number of), I would say the Breedloves knocked spots off all the rest & were well worth the extra ££. Lovely intrsument for the money imo.

The more I play the Breedlove, and the more I'm hearing people rave about it, the more I'm falling in love with it

That being said, the action is REALLY high on the one I've been playing so I'm going to go back to give it another test drive in another day or too.

But as far as tone goes, I haven't heard one in the same price range with a similar tone. It's like a new-take-on-bluegrass kind of tone. I love it.
    - Jack

Breedlove Quartz FF
    Fender Custom Shop '57 relic Stratocaster
    Rosewood Taylor

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Blog Entries

The action can be changed. Don't worry 'bout that.

I've played a Breedlove McKenzie in the store and I was really impressed with its sweet tone. I haven't played one of their FFs yet, but I expect they're also very good. The McKenzie was better than Kentuckys, Eastmans, etc. I played, but priced accordingly.

The KF that I bought from The Mandolin Store was one of the easiest playing mandos I have owned, but the main problem was that it had no volume compared to many other mandos that I put my hands on. The guy that played mando in my old group played a mid-level Michael Kelly mando that blew the socks off my KF.

On the matter of setup, every mando or guitar that I have ever owned could use some kind of setup, so I don't see any downside to the imports. There are a lot of things involved in setting up an instrument, and it would be a rare thing indeed for any mando to come out of the box not needing some kind of adjustment.

Blog Entries

My FF is loud if it needs to be. Some of my bandmates might say too loud. It definitely cuts thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    The McKenzie was better than Kentuckys, Eastmans, etc. I played, but priced accordingly.
    Right my original question was not really if the Breedlove was better, but if it was $1,000 better.

I played a used loar Lm-700 yesterday and was REALLY impressed with the tone for a "cheaper" mandolin.

So as much as I love the BL, that blurs the lines a little bit.

In other news I was offered a 2009-or-so FF in great condition for 1,500.
    What do you guys think about that price? Should I go for it?
    - Jack

Breedlove Quartz FF
    Fender Custom Shop '57 relic Stratocaster
    Rosewood Taylor

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Blog Entries

That was the "new" price back then and now that they've gone up it's a good price. I've seen a few on the classifieds for $1299 but that was it and haven't seen that price for a while.

I played a Breedlove OF as my main mando for about 6-7 years and I loved it. Great mando all around, played it hard and never had a problem. Super easy to play. You asked for videos above, here's a few of it in action:

First one is downtuned...

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

17. The following members say thank you to Mark Robertson-Tessi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    That was the "new" price back then and now that they've gone up it's a good price.
    Awesome, have they made them any differently since the price increase, or are they just being competitive?

Basically can I expect the same quality mandolin for the lower price?

crusty curmudgeon..... Brian Sharpe's Avatar

I picked up a Breedlove American OF and sold my Loar LM 600 if that helps.........
    B#

Breedlove American OF
    Eastman MD504

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I vote with the guy who pointed out you're already in love. I'm betting that if you save the $1000 you'll find something that will make you happy for awhile, and then you'll be finding out that $1000 you saved isn't nearly enough for an upgrade.

I'm very impressed with Breedlove's work - found an excellent teardrop-shaped Breedlove around $1k and recommended to a student, worked out well.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

Yeah I Definitely think I'm leaning towards the Breedlove. I do love it.

But the problem now is I'm looking at a Weber Bitterroot around the same price haha.
    I found one for 1,300 and thought that was a pretty good deal.

P.S.- CAPE COD MANDOLIN CAMP?!?
    I was just in cape cod with my mando, wish I would've heard about it earlier!
    Last edited by jackmalonis; Jul-19-2012 at 2:57pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post

But the problem now is I'm looking at a Weber Bitterroot around the same price haha.

P.S.- CAPE COD MANDOLIN CAMP?!?
    I was just in cape cod with my mando, wish I would've heard about it earlier!
    Jack you're just gonna have to pull the trigger one of of these bad boys. I own both of them and play my BL all the time which is not to say the Weber doesn't rock. It does. It's safe to say you'll be happy with both.. Dry, woody, standard nut width - Weber. Resonant, melodic, wider nut width - Breedlove

Weber has a great following and so does Breedlove. Just the fact that players like Mark and August played them and recommend them is gud'nuff to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmalonis View Post

If it's in good shape, then that's an incredible deal! You're looking at less than half of list price there.

You might want to check what year it is and what wood the back is made out of. Now, the standard back is maple, but until 5-6 years ago (I think), it was mahogany --- although there are some older maple-back ones that were custom-ordered. Which wood gives a better tone depends on your ear, but the tone will be significantly different.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Just take up crack. Its less addictive and cheaper in the long run. And you might loose some weight. And you save on dental bills once they all fall out.

Mandoholics on the other hand just keep sittin around playin and wind up as BarBQue connoisseurs to boot. They get old and fat and need dental work and carpal tunnel surgery and always lust for more expensive mandos. You think you can stop. You tell yourself you can. But you're always checking the classified threads. Telling the wife you're going to sell one to pay for the one you just bought, and hiding it under the case of the other one she didn't know about instead.

You know you enjoy the agony of trying to choose. Breedlove...Weber...both !

You are doomed. Nothing left for a tatoo, a boat, a mistress, or a sports car. Just give it up and buy one. You'll get the other one next time. The Mando rules.

Hahaha I can agree with all of the above!

The Weber is 12+ years old but looks great and it's spruce top mahogany back and sides.

The thing is I've never played a Weber and it's a month till I'm back to Austin and try a few at Fiddler's Green.

BUT I WANT A DECENT MANDO SO BAD.

It is worse than crack...
    Because its the joy of learning a new instrument except sped up by 20X (especially after having played various stringed instruments for years and years)

But there's seriously something to be said about the euphoria of improving quickly on an instrument.

Blog Entries

You're saying it's gonna be a month before you can even try one out before deciding which one? *groan *slaps head