Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Souldier straps

Default Souldier straps

I wanted to share these straps with you guys, souldier.us is the URL. I was visiting my favorite acoustic shop here in ABQ a month or so ago and saw these straps and liked them so much I got two. They're very comfortable, adjustable, work on A Or F and look great. The loop is pretty long so I just added a bead to slide down once it's attached to the mando. I gotten a lot of positive comments from folks on them too. I love the Cool retro look but you can spec them out with a ton of different looks. Anyway, just thought I'd share something I'm enjoying.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Default Re: Souldier straps

I use a souldier strap on my mandola. Like it a lot.
    Hear Scarborough Fair with mandola and mandolin
    HobbyhorseMusic.com

WORD to Soldier Straps! Made here in Chicago.

I have a bunch of their straps for different instruments and cases. I've met the owners before, who are wonderful people. For the vegan players out there, they make all synthetic straps too.

PJ,
    Can't find it on the website, what is the length of the mandolin strap?
    willi

Quote Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
    PJ,
    Can't find it on the website, what is the length of the mandolin strap?
    Willi, shoot them a note if you can't find the length, though I imagine it's adjustable in length. I've done custom stuff with them before (for a banjo strap), which they're usually open to doing. They're sometimes slow to respond, but worth the wait IMO.

7. The following members say thank you to herbsandspices for this post:

They look really nice but the one concern that comes to mind is that there is metal in the design which would require that it be removed from the instrument before being placed in its case.
    willi

I got one as a present last Christmas, and I like it a lot. I sure wish they made a version with no metal hardware, though.
    Think globally, bike locally.

The strap can adjust a huge amount and it does have metal but I just remove it from the end pin when it's in the case which I do with any strap and roll it into the space on the treble side so no issues with damaging the instrument.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Here's a pic of one of the styles I have, I love it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a887c397-5d17-4ec0-806f-c622a72334bb.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	89703
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Blog Entries

"The strap can adjust a huge amount and it does have metal but I just remove it from the end pin when it's in the case which I do with any strap and roll it into the space on the treble side so no issues with damaging the instrument."

I don't think I want that metal near my mandolin, either on my shoulder or in the case. As far as removing the strap from the end pin when I put it in the case, it seems that it would only be a matter of time until the hole in the strap gets wallowed out. I go out of my way to see that the my strap cannot come off the end pen. I am probably missing something.
    Last edited by Bill Baldridge; Jul-27-2012 at 6:46pm. Reason: incompetence

I have a strap purchased in the '70's that looks a lot like these. It had a metal buckle and was too long for mandolin the way I wear it. My wife went to a fabric store (JoAnn's - NFI) and bought a leather buckle of the correct dimensions, removed the metal one, shortened the strap and put on the leather buckle. Problems solved.
    Lee

There's a theme emerging here, and I agree with it entirely. Why incorporate metal in the design? To me, that makes these straps non-starters, completely beyond consideration.

It would be easy to fix, though - but that is a job for the makers, not for people who already paid a premium price for straps with such a glaring shortcoming.

ron

The metal parts are one issue, unfortunately for me the other issue is that they look like my uncle's suspenders.

So everybody here puts their mando in the case with the strap fully intact? I don't, I'm a lot more concerned about laying a strap over the mando while in the case to rub all over the top than wallowing out the end pin hole. I've never left the strap fully on while it's in the case. Regarding the metal, it never touches the mando so it's a non issue. I guess every body should just use a braided roo strap over the should and leave it attached all the time? BTW, your uncle wears cool suspenders Mike, he's the kinda uncle that slipped you a beer when you were 15, the cool uncle . A mandolin is a tool for making music not your grandmothers fine china, I'm thinking you guys all park your cars on the far end of the parking lot and take up three spaces too
    PJ
    Stanley V5

17. The following members say thank you to pjlama for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    So everybody here puts their mando in the case with the strap fully intact? I don't, I'm a lot more concerned about laying a strap over the mando while in the case to rub all over the top than wallowing out the end pin hole. I've never left the strap fully on while it's in the case. Regarding the metal, it never touches the mando so it's a non issue. I guess every body should just use a braided roo strap over the should and leave it attached all the time? BTW, your uncle wears cool suspenders Mike, he's the kinda uncle that slipped you a beer when you were 15, the cool uncle . A mandolin is a tool for making music not your grandmothers fine china, I'm thinking you guys all park your cars on the far end of the parking lot and take up three spaces too
    +1

Pickup trucks! I don't mind leaving the strap on to rub all over the top, after all, it's not my grandma's fine china.

Not all folks have end pins to put a strap on. Many have 1/4" jacks down there. And they would be the first to tell you that once you get it on securely, leave it alone. For years I have been using soft braided belts that I modify to fit the instrument. I never take them off. And I illegally park in handicap spaces.
    willi

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I think it's just great that we can take a simple post about straps and turn it into a contentious issue.

Blog Entries

Well, after all these years, we were bound to get into a contentious issue eventually.

too funny, I'm glad you guys saw my joke. Anyway, I like em just fine you illegal parking, mando pandering obessive compulsives
    PJ
    Stanley V5

BTW, if you all owned Stanleys you'd have a mandolin where the end pin can't slip, you guys just don't have the right mandolins
    PJ
    Stanley V5

BTW, if you all owned Stanleys you'd have a mandolin where the end pin can't slip, you guys just don't have the right mandolins
    We're together on that!

As always PJ, Lovely instruments hanging off that strap

Knocking people for wanting to avoid unnecessary damage to an instrument from a metal part that doesn't have to be there is pretty unfair. Does that make you clever for not caring if your instrument gets scratched? I don't think so. I like to play my instruments as much as anyone else here; I just don't accept the inevitability of scratches from metal elements in a strap - never mind how I pack the instruments in their cases.

ron