Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: the demise of the pick guard

Default Re: the demise of the pick guard

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    One of my favorites is the "tube amps sound better than SS guitar amps" myth. I recall a few studies where listeners could not tell accurately which type of amp was being used - even though so many guys claim they can tell.
    That's from the old "crossover noise/distortion in transistor amps" thing from ~50 years ago. The earlier solid state amps were easy to distinguish from the tube amps of the day by the high frequency distortion present (assuming one's hearing was sufficiently acute in the higher frequencies). Newer types of devices and different circuit designs fixed that long ago, but the idea keeps getting resurrected from time to time, probably by makers of retro tube amps.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Adwell For This Useful Post:

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    (EDIT) It's an attitude that I don't completely understand. It seems to me that if we consider ourselves to be humans on an equal footing with other humans, we must assume that we are subject to the same prejudices, conditioning and self deception, and that we are equally likely to find out that evidence indicates we may be wrong.(EDIT)
    Most people are pretty reluctant to question the validity of their dearly held assumptions, or guiding fictions (as Albert Adler would have called it). In fact I don't think it ever occurs to people to do so. They just "know what they know". Present group excepted,of course.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Lindstrom For This Useful Post:

….One of my favorites is the "tube amps sound better than SS guitar amps" myth. I recall a few studies where listeners could not tell accurately which type of amp was being used - even though so many guys claim they can tell.
    Better?… they certainly can sound very different and unless you only use very "clean" sounds, there are many things that a tube amp can do that a transistor amp cannot, ...unless it has tube amp modeling built into it like so many modern ones do…
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Brandt View Post
    Better?… they certainly can sound very different and unless you only use very "clean" sounds, there are many things that a tube amp can do that a transistor amp cannot, ...unless it has tube amp modeling built into it like so many modern ones do…
    Yes, but I think that's precisely the point! There is nothing intrinsically "superior" about the sound of tube amps -- it's just that many folks prefer the sounds of their 'softer' nonlinearities when they're overdriven (and it's also what they were used to). But with suitable circuitry, modern transistor-based amps can be constructed that are sonically indistinguishable from tube amps, because they have the same gain and same non-linearities. And with today's digital synthesis capabilities, it's possible to model just about any arbitrary audio response (transfer function) in an audio amp. Each year, there are fewer and fewer "experts" around who claim they can still hear the difference.

As the great physicist Max Planck pointed out, "Science advances, one funeral at a time."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Which are my current amps of choice, digital modeling amps.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Yes, but I think that's precisely the point! There is nothing intrinsically "superior" about the sound of tube amps -- it's just that many folks prefer the sounds of their 'softer' nonlinearities when they're overdriven (and it's also what they were used to). But with suitable circuitry, modern transistor-based amps can be constructed that are sonically indistinguishable from tube amps, because they have the same gain and same non-linearities. And with today's digital synthesis capabilities, it's possible to model just about any arbitrary audio response (transfer function) in an audio amp. Each year, there are fewer and fewer "experts" around who claim they can still hear the difference.

"
    That is the whole point. Some technology is outdated, some people still like to use it, it all depends on the musical need. It's not always a simple case of "better".

Tube or SS....pickguard or none....and so on.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

sblock 

It's rather like when my brother died,
    My wife told me: "It doesn't get better, just different"
    That might be a little off the topic but, when things change humans adapt, it's just what we do, we resist but eventually we must change, change is the only constant.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adwell View Post
    That's from the old "crossover noise/distortion in transistor amps" thing from ~50 years ago. The earlier solid state amps were easy to distinguish from the tube amps of the day by the high frequency distortion present (assuming one's hearing was sufficiently acute in the higher frequencies). Newer types of devices and different circuit designs fixed that long ago, but the idea keeps getting resurrected from time to time, probably by makers of retro tube amps.
    Yeah just go look at the new Roland Blues cube online.
    EJ is dyed in the wool Plexi man....

Sorry for steering things OT, BACK TO PICK GUARDS.....

12. The following members say thank you to xSinner13x for this post:

Dobe 

As the great physicist Max Planck pointed out, "Science advances, one funeral at a time."

I'm still not sure if you guys are saying a modern transistor amp can do everything a traditional tube amp can do without digital tube modeling circuitry built into it… including compression and "sag" ….or not.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

I'm still not sure if you guys are saying a modern transistor amp can do everything a traditional tube amp can do without digital tube modeling circuitry built into it… including compression and "sag" ….or not.
    I think that is indeed what I was driving at hence the inclusion of the EJ Video.
    Also the other two major producer at the moment make an incredible product as well.
    But that's neither here nor there let alone on topic...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Solid state electronics are far superior to electron tube electronics in practically every way imaginable. People are still free to prefer the sound of one amp over the next, regardless what amps they may be comparing. SS to SS, SS to Tube, Tube to Tube, if you hear what you can't live without in any particular amplifier, buy it and enjoy it.

So true!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

16. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Even when I used tube amps I used amps like a Fender Showman that had SS rectifiers, I cannot play with sag - I want the amp to respond to my playing and not lag behind.

Some of the best modeling amps may well have some sag - like I said, I avoid it so I do not know.

….I want the amp to respond to my playing and not lag behind.

You just have play a little ahead....
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

19. The following members say thank you to Wes Brandt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by markscarts View Post
    Solid state electronics are far superior to electron tube electronics in practically every way imaginable. People are still free to prefer the sound of one amp over the next, regardless what amps they may be comparing. SS to SS, SS to Tube, Tube to Tube, if you hear what you can't live without in any particular amplifier, buy it and enjoy it.

So true!

You left out the part about the interpretation of what is "good tube sound", or "style" by the engineers.. which will vary...

I use SS myself, a true stereo keyboard amp and rely on ...multi FX boxes for all modeling, including fake tube sound. I just like arguing.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

You left out the part about the interpretation of what is "good tube sound", or "style" by the engineers.. which will vary...

I use SS myself, a true stereo keyboard amp and rely on ...multi FX boxes for all modeling, including fake tube sound. I just like arguing.
    I use a decent programmable modeling amp myself. And I sometimes play the devil's advocate as earlier in this thread - it can be educational, at the risk of having folk confuse you with the devil though.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Amps? What's an amp?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

We seem to have wandered well off the topic. The pickguard (or finger-rest) is not in state of "demise," by any stretch of the imagination. It is alive and well, and it works for a great many of us. And it does not detract from the sound of the mandolin.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

In addition to the mini-pickguards shown a few pages ago, if looks are an issue, how about a transparent one? If you feel that sound is an issue, how about one with perforations in it?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    ...how about one with perforations in it?
    The material exists...

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

29. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    What I hear is proof for me. Science proves something today then something different tomorrow so I can do the same thing. Prove the cat is dead today and maybe it's alive tomorrow. All kidding aside how do we really prove the things we have been talking about, a lot of knowledgeable people have stated slightly different proofs. Probably all are correct as for as it goes, but come on we are talking art, how do you prove art.
    The cat thinks it's dead.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    ...we are talking art, how do you prove art.
    Oh brother we're art, though. Love it, don't prove it. See* what I mean: we hear different things.

(*) pun intended
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    In addition to the mini-pickguards shown a few pages ago, if looks are an issue, how about a transparent one? If you feel that sound is an issue, how about one with perforations in it?
    I think the general consensus is that sound is not an issue with pick guards. At most, the player might detect some small differences in sound, but within a few feet of the instrument it is doubtful any difference will be noted with or without a pick guard. It seems that at some time in the past, it was fashionable to believe that a pick guard might hinder projection, but that apparently was a myth that has, for the most part, been dismissed. At any rate, players are free to make their own choice as to aesthetics and playing style. Some use the extra plate as a finger rest, some don't. Some like the looks of it, some don't.

If you try the rabbit cage wire, be careful not to get your pinkie caught in the perforations.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Markscarts has it right. It is totally unnecessary to develop some type open or perforated pickguard (finger-rest), because, due to its location, size, and physical properties, the existing generation of pickguards is -- for all intents and purposes -- acoustically transparent! Put simply, we do not need to produce perforated pickguards, or ever-smaller ones. If you think an optically clear, acrylic one looks better on your instrument, fine, but this is an aesthetic choice, and has nothing to do with acoustic transparency.

Put simply, we do not need to produce perforated pickguards, or ever-smaller ones.
    So, you're not much into marketing either, I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Oh brother we're art, though. Love it, don't prove it. See* what I mean: we hear different things.

(*) pun intended
    I am an artist as are any musician, maybe there is a technical "proof" but in reality that point is mute. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Prove your wife is more beautiful than mine, or maybe vice-versa. LO

I had a clear one built for my Stiver, worked very nicely. I wonder how that one has held up, should have kept it! Should have kept them all!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett