Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Buckeye, would like to know other Buckeye owners

Default Just picked up a Buckeye, would like to know other Buckeye owners

Three weeks ago, my wife and I just drove up to Guysville, OH from Atlanta to meet Pete Hart, and to pick up the mandolin he built for me over the past year.

First of all, let me say what a good guy Pete is. Pete, if you read this, Maria and I really appreciate yours and Linda's hospitality. We picked a little; Pete's a great player, too.

It's hard to know what to say about this mandolin; honestly, words fail me. I could apply the usual adjectives, but I have to say - this is an instrument that gives me goosebumps. Anymore, there are only a few other experiences that cause that. So, you have to think that means something, right?

Anyway, I'd like to know who else has a Buckeye. Mine is #63, so there don't appear to be very many of them. The reason I requested one from Pete was hearing Barry Mitterhof's last year. But I'm curious about who else has one. You can contact me offline. I'm new to the forum, and I assume my email address is listed. If not, reply in the forum and I'll get in touch.

Best to everyone,

Jim Mullins

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Mullins for this post:

Default Re: Just picked up a Buckeye, would like to know other Buckeye ow

Hey Jim, Good to hear from you. I didn't think we would hear from any purchasers of this years Buckeyes this late in the year. There are at least a few owners of them who still post here. Those owner (or really any Buckeye owners) only have good things to say. I know Pete made at least one with Red Spruce in this years batch whereas he usually used Englemann or Carpathian Spruce in the past per my understanding. I came very close to placing an order with him a few years ago. I'd be interested in hearing /seeing the details of yours. The latest one I saw had a Birdseye Maple back and his finish work on it looked amazing. The owner of that one is a cafe member.

Jim,
    My wife and I drove from western Maryland to Guysville in Dec. 2009 to pick out the maple (my wife tells people we drove down to pick out the tree....very funny).
    I picked up #55 in May, 2010. The maple on mine has birdseye and curly. Beautiful. It was fantastic when I first got it. After about 6 months it really started to punch. About 3 months ago it started to increase to another level. #55 has a woody, deep chop and good volume and projection. Plays great.
    The Harts are great people, and Pete is quite a builder.

This past Dec I was laid off from my job and told a few people I needed to sell it. I had a serious offer in a wk. My wife saw the email and demanded that I not sell it because we are not destitute. I got a job in April, plus I joined a band in May....we play 2-3 jobs per wk. Thank the Lord I kept #55.

Go to youtube and look up Joe Clark. He plays several tunes, but Grey Eagle is super.

Enjoy # 63 and play it like you mean it!!!

How about some pictures?

Bob
    re simmers

Jim,
    I have #51, also a birdseye back and side. Great mandolin, Great builder. I've played maybe 6 or 7 Buckeyes over the years. They have all been outstanding.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can get around to it. I'm having a hard time putting the mandolin down to do much of anything else

Hope to meet you all at some point. If you are ever passing through Atlanta and have time to get together, let me know.

Jim

Jim,
    I am the proud new owner of Buckeye #64. I agree words alone cannot describe this mandolin and my satisfaction with it. I'm really just getting to know her and enjoying every minute of it. Mine is European spruce top, birdseye maple back, sides, neck, James tailpiece, and I splurged and upgraded to Waverly tuners. A real looker, absolutely beautiful! I've been eying Pete's mandolins for a few years after hearing Joe Clark's Buckeye on youtube and seeing John Rigsby with his on Cumberland Highlanders (RFDTV). Finally got my hands on one and couldn't be happier with my decision.
    Pete Hart is a gem. Down to earth as you can get and pleasure to get to know and do business with.
    Here are a few pictures.
    Enjoy your new Buckeye Jim. I know I am!!

jamann

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1933.JPG 
Views:	585 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	90276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1892.JPG 
Views:	426 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	90277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1897.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	90278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1910.JPG 
Views:	524 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	90279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1929.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	90280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1930.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	90282

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Jim,
    I am the proud new owner of Buckeye #64. I agree words alone cannot describe this mandolin and my satisfaction with it. I'm really just getting to know her and enjoying every minute of it. Mine is European spruce top, birdseye maple back, sides, neck, James tailpiece, and I splurged and upgraded to Waverly tuners. A real looker, absolutely beautiful! I've been eying Pete's mandolins for a few years after hearing Joe Clark's Buckeye on youtube and seeing John Rigsby with his on Cumberland Highlanders (RFDTV). Finally got my hands on one and couldn't be happier with my decision.
    Pete Hart is a gem. Down to earth as you can get and pleasure to get to know and do business with.
    Here are a few pictures.
    Enjoy your new Buckeye Jim. I know I am!!

jamann

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1933.JPG 
Views:	585 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	90276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1892.JPG 
Views:	426 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	90277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1897.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	90278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1910.JPG 
Views:	524 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	90279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1929.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	90280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1930.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	90282
    Jamann, I thought that last video you posted on the SAW group was with a new mandolin. It sure sounded spectacular just from that one video. Congrats to you on your new Buckeye, Jamann, and congrats to all Buckeye owners. I'm so very envious of all of you that are lucky enough to own one.

Rob, Thanks for the kind words! It was just a couple days old when I posted that video. Strings weren't even broke in. It came with J74's which I really don't care for. Gonna have to put on some GHS Silk & Bronze. It'll make a difference.
    Anyway, I'm enjoying my new Buckeye!

Gorgeous!!!

Is there a website for Buckeye Mandolins?

Owner for #18 here. It's a great great instrument was lauded by John Reischman (!), Skip Gorman, and my teacher who owns a Nugget. Skip didn't want to give it back. I'm obviously biased but I think the Buckeye's are a world class instrument. Enjoy!
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Johnny Staats played (or maybe still plays) a Buckeye. Always heard great things.

I saw the website but nothing listed about them making Mandolins. How does someone operate a business and sell mandolins if they make no mention of them on their website?

Pete Hart can best answer that question. There is contact info on that website.

He only builds a few per yr. The Buckeye sells itself.

Bob
    re simmers

Blog Entries

Mr. Hart's information as a builder is part of band's page. I doubt with his volume of work and the ease with which they move based on his previous clients and word of mouth, he needs to bother with internet advertising.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

What's the price range of Buckeye mandolins? I live in Ohio and thought it's be cool to have poisonous nut mandolin but I'm thinking it would be *w*a*y* out of my price range. So should I even keep the idea in my head?
    Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    Owner for #18 here. It's a great great instrument was lauded by John Reischman (!), Skip Gorman, and my teacher who owns a Nugget. Skip didn't want to give it back. I'm obviously biased but I think the Buckeye's are a world class instrument. Enjoy!
    I played a really nice Buckeye at John's workshop at Freshgrass...was that yours? It was a really nice one.

Larry

I'm with emit on this one. Since he doesn't have prices posted on his website it would be great if some of you can give us an idea of how much to budget for. So, is anyone going to tell us what the range in price for these beautiful instruments is?

The last few times Pete advertised mandolins for sale here on The Cafe, they were ~$5k.

Thanks djweiss. that's what i was looking for. It's more then I want to spend right now as a newbie but it's nice to keep my options open. cheers.

Does he make A-models?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, I asked Pete about the possibility of building me an A-model once, he said that he'd prefer to stick with F-5's. I've never known him to build any other style...however, when I first met him back in the early 80's, he was playing an A style, a Givens or an ODE, something like that. He's a great musician, a wonderful builder, and a fine man.
    RedLine A-5 #14
    Howard Morris Flat Top #337
    1936 Gibson A-50

I stopped at Pete's on the way back from Ibma. He had a mandolin finished and ready to ship. Someone getting a great mandolin. Pete added a wider fretboard, changed the string spacing and added a new bridge. It is now perfect for me!! Pete did say his base price is still $5k. if your looking for a great mandolin, he's the guy.

I own Buckeye No. 62 and it's one of the best mandolins I've ever played!