Thread: I'm at an Acceletated Bill Monroe Learning Rate!!!

Default I'm at an Acceletated Bill Monroe Learning Rate!!!

I blew out my knee at work about 2 months ago and had surgery, so I've had about 8 hours a day to work on Bill Monroe instrumentals on my Rattlesnake mandolin!!! It's great because at this accelerated learning rate that I'm currently in, I'm learning several tunes a day. For instance, I learned "Goin Up Caney" this morning in about a 1/2 hour. The other day I learned "Bluegrass Stomp", "Uncle Pen" and "In the Pines". I knew some things off the "Master of Bluegrass" album like "Old Ebenezer Scrooge" before, but now I've added "Come Hither to Go Yonder", "Evening Prayer Blues" and "Lady of the Blue Ridge". I'm learning these studio recorded tunes pretty much note-for note because I'm in this mindset where each tune is a building block to new levels. I even learned "Sunset" by the Country Gentlemen! Even my wife is impressed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0912.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	89998  

Default Re: I'm at an Acceletated Bill Monroe Learning Rate!!!

Nothing like a creative and learning surge--what a rush. I've been on one since getting back into horns--learning all the good ones: stardust, body and soul, lush life, and Ellington, monk and Mingus galore

Sorry to hear about your knee mick

Remember to refrain from actually "stomping" when learning those stomp tunes.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Quote - "Even my wife is impressed! ". You're on a winner for sure Mick !!!. Before anything else, good luck with your knee & i wish you a speedy return to 'full stomping power'. It really is amazing,what 'extra' practice time can do.You are perfectly correct - each new tune is another stepping stone to learning other tunes,it feeds on itself as you find that bits of the tunes you've just learned are also there in the tune you're learning right now.It seems like you're on your way to at least doubling your repertoir - great stuff,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan.

Believe it or not, I was actually looking for your post! You look at the same Bluegrass threads as me, usually around 6am, noon your time.

Thanx for the wishes for recovery, but I must admit I'm enjoying my time with Mr. Bill!

Learning them is the easy part. Finding someone else that knows them you can pick with is the hard part. Try learning Monroe's Blues and Bill's Dream. 2 of my favorites.

Good for you. That's a great way to make the best of a bad situation. One day when business is easier and the kids are older I'll put some time into really learning the mannalin. For now I'll just fake it :0
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Learning them is the easy part. Finding someone else that knows them you can pick with is the hard part.
    Ain't that the truth. I'm a jam buster because I'll play Old Dangerfield, Southern Flavour or Monroe's Farewell to Long Hollow etc., and it's supposed to be a bluegrass jam. Go figure.

I'm jealous! ha.... almost wishing i could break my knee. Only problem is that wouldn't get me off work at my desk job I don't think. Darn!

This happened at work so I'm on Workman's Comp. Double meniscus tear, strained ligaments, etc. Just between you & me ... I think the other one will go as well ... just hope it happens at work! This is doing wonders for my mandolin playing. I'm growing by leaps & bounds!

Blog Entries

Folks hate it when asked to call a tune in a jam circle and I call out Japan by David Grisman. No takers? How about Rattlesnake? No Err, just kidding.. How about Salt Creek?
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Learning them is the easy part. Finding someone else that knows them you can pick with is the hard part. Try learning Monroe's Blues and Bill's Dream. 2 of my favorites.
    I'll second that.

I'm learning Salt Creek right now!

Hi Mick,

Wishing you a (not too) speedy recovery from your knee injury. One question: are you also trying to learn ol' Bill's picking techniques as well as the tunes? I find that my ability to do all those downstrokes and really fast appegios Bill used will be my ultimate downfall with Monroe style mandolin playing. I love the tunes but definitely have not mastered the techniques.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I've been learning his style for years, but I just have the time now to devote to a Monroe Marathon! I was the bass player in a popular Beatles tribute band for years and learned that the right attack to the strings is essential to get the sound of the person you're trying to learn. To sound like McCartney on the bass you have to use a pick. To sound like Monroe you have to use his techniques. So yeah, I'm watching his DVD series "The Mandolin of Bill Monroe" by Homespun and other film on YouTube, etc. One thing that is obvious, is how he played solos out of chord forms. That simplifies things!

16. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Mick for this post:

lenf12 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    I've been learning his style for years........
    That's where my downfall lies.....it takes years to learn Bill's style and I've spent far too many years trying to sound like myself ;-)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I won't say "that's fortunate," but it's good you can make the most of your time. I, on the other hand, just had some abdominal surgery, so there'll be no mandolin playing for a few weeks.

Learning them is the easy part. Finding someone else that knows them you can pick with is the hard part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I'm a jam buster because I'll play Old Dangerfield, Southern Flavour or Monroe's Farewell to Long Hollow etc., and it's supposed to be a bluegrass jam. Go figure.
    Agreed! It is so frustrating learning great Monroe tunes and then not being able to find anyone to play them with, and as Mike said, being a jam buster when you introduce one at a jam.

I finally started a weekly Monroe Jam so I could teach tunes to a few others who will then help me introduce them in jams. People love the tunes once they learn them... can't understand why so many Monroe tunes have fallen out of favor at jams. Guess few people are listening to Monroe these days... In my opinion, a bad sign for the future of bluegrass, at least traditional bluegrass.

May have to drive 1,000 miles to Monroe Camp just to be able to play Monroe tunes with other like-minded real bluegrassers!
    "But no well informed person ever called the picking of the mandolin music." New York Times, 1897

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Albertson View Post
    May have to drive 1,000 miles to Monroe Camp just to be able to play Monroe tunes with other like-minded real bluegrassers!
    Yes--come to Monroe Camp, Rick!

Been there, done that with the knee...rehab was a little uncomfortable but the physical terrorist, er, physical therapist got me back on track...hope you have a complete recovery, Mick! Sounds like you're definitely making the best of it learning new tunes...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Yep, the thing about Monroe tunes is you gotta listen and feel it. They ain't hard, just not the 'cookie cutter' thing. Like on Southern Flavor, where it goes from G walk down to open E. That ain't hard, and if you're worth your weight, you hear it once, you got it. Same with Lochwood. You gotta listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Albertson View Post
    You can do it, I usually fly but last year I drove 2000 miles, one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    You can do it, I usually fly but last year I drove 2000 miles, one way.
    Went to the Camp last year... hope to go again this year. There are about 10 slots open. Hoping instructors will have more handouts (tab/notation) this year.
    "But no well informed person ever called the picking of the mandolin music." New York Times, 1897

My latest conquest is Ashland Breakdown. I must admit that my inspiration was watching the YouTube of Tom Isenhour & Evan Reilly going back & forth ...

Mick - I'm usually on the 'Cafe around 5.30am to 6.0am UK time,around 12.0 midnight your time.When i was working i was always up at 5.0 am,i just haven't got out of the habit. Right now,it's 11.50 am UK time,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.