Thread: Bill Monroe's Kentucky Mandolin Live

Default Bill Monroe's Kentucky Mandolin Live

This is a crystal clear live version of Kentucky Mandolin. The mandolin is out front and you can just barely hear the other instruments. This helped me a lot in learning the timing and his use of the open G much better than the studio version.

Enjoy!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtG-06LY98
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BillMonroe..jpg 
Views:	2424 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	90048  

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Mick for this post:

Beanzy 

Default Re: Bill Monroe's Kentucky Mandolin Live

A powerful Monroe tune that seldom gets picked anymore. I remember the first time he introduced it at the 2nd Roanoke Festival in 1966. I like this version because you can see where he is putting his fingers. Notice the use of the little finger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-clD...eature=related

WOW! Tom you've done it again! Never seen this one before... just outstanding... especially the 3rd pass where he goes low and then all wild with slides... man! The ending was pretty weird... could Bill have, er, had a sip of something that night?

It's due to he had a really good group of BGBoys that night. Butch ain't no slouch on the banjo and with Baker on fiddle it just had to fall into place. It's not a dated video but my guess is late 1980 or early 1981. It's right after he had the headstock repair in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    It's due to he had a really good group of BGBoys that night. Butch ain't no slouch on the banjo and with Baker on fiddle it just had to fall into place. It's not a dated video but my guess is late 1980 or early 1981. It's right after he had the headstock repair in 1980.
    f5loar strikes again! Yup, it's from 1981 and it was from their appearance on Austin City Limits. I don't remember how but I found this video of this show on youtube. This was show number 607 (season 6, episode 7). The show before this one was the David Grisman Quintet/"Mandolin Special" with Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore and Johnny Gimble. Man I would have loved to see that!

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Mick View Post
    This is a crystal clear live version of Kentucky Mandolin. The mandolin is out front and you can just barely hear the other instruments. This helped me a lot in learning the timing and his use of the open G much better than the studio version.

Enjoy!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtG-06LY98

"The other instruments" is just a guitar; I suppose this is the live recording with Doc Watson. Very good backup guitar, with lots of offbeat accents, the kind of accompaniment that Benny Williams perfected.

Blog Entries

You can get a really good descending Gm lick in there, starting with the pinky up on the 7th fret on the 1st string all the way down finishing on that open G. It's a great tune. Lots of room for syncopation and improv.

He also seems to reach over to hit a harmonic on the 'G' in that video, in the last break. Right after a fairly extended run down and back up the scale again. Interesting.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

That is an exciting version! The bass player is no slouch either. Of the many Cafe discussion about 'beyond perfect time' and playing on top of the beat......all that's needed is to listen to this. The whole band seems to be borderline jumping time, but somehow they are not.

Anyone ever heard the "Bluegrass Minor?" I haven't, but I'm curious....is it really the same tune?

Thanks
    Bob
    re simmers