Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

Blog Entries

Default Re: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

Article about Andy in NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/01/nyregion/andy-statmans-search-for-god-in-music.html
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-15-2013 at 9:18am.

Blog Entries

Attended performance #661 with about 24 others this evening and a grand time was had by all. Andy tells me he's about a month into his new Kimble mandolin, a two-point, shown below. I got a chance to play it after the gig and it's a real beast of a mandolin. One-piece back, slight radiused frets. Sounded like an 80 year old mandolin. Apparently Will traded back in part for Andy's old F mandolin and it may be for sale at some point. There's a mandolin that's going to sound incredible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andywithnewkimble.jpg 
Views:	3745 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	102968

Uploading a very large video of one mandolin piece, Anthem, and as soon as it's online I'll link to it. As it is, almost 1:00 a.m. and the video is only about 40% uploaded after 30 minutes so will add it tomorrow.

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I've always lusted after Wills 2 pointers. Easily one of the best looking mandolins out there.But I thought he had stopped making them. I guess not.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

He's been back to making them for a couple of years now... visually stunning and mellifluously musical!

No one breaks in a mandolin like Andy Statman, but was there anything left for Will to sell? Will makes beautiful instruments.

That was a great night Scott! Of course I didn't realize it at the time, but my sister and I and several friends were sitting right next to you. It was amazing how many styles Andy could exemplify and then tear apart and make completely his own in the space of an hour and a half. Also the only show I've ever been to that doubled as a slivovic tasting, but I hope it's not my last.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john.m View Post
    That was a great night Scott! Of course I didn't realize it at the time, but my sister and I and several friends were sitting right next to you. It was amazing how many styles Andy could exemplify and then tear apart and make completely his own in the space of an hour and a half. Also the only show I've ever been to that doubled as a slivovic tasting, but I hope it's not my last.
    John, I had very little of the sliv but as I was aware, it's a might potent beverage. Yowza!

I am going to make it down to the synagogue one of these days. I catch him at Barbés when I can though. I can't wait to hear his new mando!

The only Kimble I've played is the blonde one at Retrofret. What a stunner. The action was super high but they let me lower it after I requested to! That place is great.

Perhaps the only thing I can criticize about Will's mandos is his choice of font for the headstock. It's one of the stock cursive fonts and I think it looks a bit tacky but that's just me. Nitpicking aside, obviously the sound is what matters and his mandos certainly have no shortage of that!

Looking forward to checking out the video.
    1999 Summit Artist F5 #132 - ToneGard - McClung Rest - BaileyStrap - BlueChip
    Roscoe, Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender, Danelectro, Kala basses
    Anton Krutz ¾ double bass w/C extension, Pierre-Yves Fuchs french bow
    Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, Cervantes, Montalvo, Fender guitars
    Kanile'a, aNueNue, Kala ukuleles
    1960 Petosa AM-900 43/120 piano accordion
    Drums/percussion, Bb clarinet, soprano/alto/tenor sax, trumpet, trombone

Hi Brad,

I agree about the font on the inlay - that's why I had Tom Ellis help me revise it a couple of years ago. I am satisfied with it now.

Best wishes,
    Will Kimble
    http://www.kimblemandolins.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstocks.jpg 
Views:	2197 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	103315
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jun-13-2013 at 11:31am. Reason: correcting broken link

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Kimble For This Useful Post:

So: Sarah Jessica Parker and husband Matthew Broderick: bad. Homeless person sleeping on the synagogue steps: good.

It must feel real righteous to have these values, and easy too, since you live out of town.

Idea: if you think the homeless person is so good, why don't you invite him to sleep on your doorstep?

On another topic: Andy Statman is a total genius. We New Yorkers are fortunate to have him and this series of performance nearby.

I can't make any sense at all of the post above (#35). And I think I just wasted 2 minutes of my life trying.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

14. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I am with you, Brad. I even went to the old NY Times article and could find no references to homeless people or the celebrities mentioned.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I can't make any sense at all of the post above (#35). And I think I just wasted 2 minutes of my life trying.
    And yet, somehow, I can't stop reading it, over and over again....fascinating...indeed, who "lives out of town"?

Sorry, couldn't help myself
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    And yet, somehow, I can't stop reading it, over and over again....fascinating...indeed, who "lives out of town"?

Sorry, couldn't help myself
    I am there too. I guess when someone only posts 4 times in 7 years they make each one really count!

Blog Entries

Check out article in the OP post #1. Has the relevant material but doesn't fully answer the statement: ("So: Sarah Jessica Parker and husband Matthew Broderick: bad." )

I suspect he may have taken exception with the parting comment re NYC.

The greatest city ever tho. Cold, cruel or otherwise
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Aug-13-2014 at 12:41pm.

so whats not to like.
    andy rocks!

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this article. Need to get back to Charles St. Synagogue for another of these concerts and plan to this Fall.

Meanwhile... back in Brooklyn...

I recorded a very nice duo show for Andy and Michael Daves. They seem to really like playing together. Andy's on mandolin, no clarinet this last gig. Lots of bluegrass, plus a few of Andy's adventurous instrumentals.

It's was a part of Michael's Sundays in August residency at Jalopy Theatre in Brooklyn. Here's one from last year, and I will try and have the new videos out in a week or two.

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Andy Statman Trio at the Jalopy Theatre playing Flatbush Waltz.

Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-14-2019 at 8:08am. Reason: correcting embed command
    David A. Gordon

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Thanks for fixing that, Cheers Dagger. Happy New Year as well.
    David A. Gordon

Hi All, I rarely post but having seen what all you have written about Andy prompted me to create one of my few posts. Back in around 1976 I found out that Vassar Clements was doing a concert at San Diego State U. Old and in the Way is one of my (many) favorite albums, so I just had to see him live. I convinced my wife (Nancy) we needed to make the drive from Jamul (out in the sticks east of San Diego). She was not real keen on the idea because she had a long day at work but agreed to accompany me.

At the gig, she was starting to doze off but when Vassar introduced his band, he declared "and Andy Statman on mandolin". My wife, shocked by the announcement, exclaimed "Andy, I know him!". Long story a little shorter, my wife and Andy were childhood friends. Their parents were really close and they did a lot of things together (dinner and weekend outings). They lived in an apartment building in Jackson Heights, NY. Andy really liked monster movies so Nancy and he would spend weekend mornings together watching TV looking for Frankenstein and the likes. After that show, Nancy and I caught up with Andy and it was a pleasure to hear them catch up on old times and update each other with current events.

Nancy and I try to catch Andy's shows any time he is in the SoCal area (which is somewhat rare). We have also seen him several times at the Charles Street Synagogue. It is always a pleasure to see him regardless of venue or instrument.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JW Papoon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Noting the publication of this from this date 2012. Trying to return for another performance this Fall. Hope the boys are working that night.

29. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Scott:
    These are the only concerts listed in his web site or FB:
    • Thursday, August 15 9:30pm Joe's Pub
    • Wednesday, September 4 8:00pm Barbés
    • Thursday, October 10 6:00pm Mercury Lounge with the Stash Band

I recently met a fellow poet recently who has been good friends with Andy from way back. I have been wanting to go to the synagogue gig for awhile. Barbés could be good, too—super small room in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Dudu Maia played there a few years ago. I probably am going to meet this new friend to see Andy.

I took a few lessons with AS decades ago and saw him frequently with resident bluegrass/old time band, The Wretched Refuse String Band. That was probably in the 1970s-1980s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ah, The Wretched Refuse String Band... late nights at Broadway Charlie's... those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Ah, The Wretched Refuse String Band... late nights at Broadway Charlie's... those were the days...
    Were you in NYC? I saw them first at the Focus Coffeehouse, the Methodist Church and the Eagle Taverrn. Big stringband concert my band played in back in the early 1980s at the Symphony Space with WRSB included IIRC Tony Trischka, Statman, maybe Matt Glaser, Alan Kaufman, Richie Shulberg Marty Cutler, Bob Jones, Kenny Kosek and probably a few others. They were more of an orchestra since Shulberg just called everyone he knew and they just showed up if available.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: