Thread: My playing feels sloppy. Can I get some tips?

Question My playing feels sloppy. Can I get some tips?

I can't find a mandolin teacher in my area (probably can't afford lessons either). Especially on the instrument I'm using, it's just felt like a struggle to play lately. I'm screwing up my tone / timing on certain types of string changes. Right hand problem.

Here's a video of me playing. Any and all constructive critiques would be much appreciated!

[EDIT] sound was out of sync with video.. re-upping now.

Some notes -

I'm resting my right wrist on the strings on the bottom side of the bridge. I've found this to be the easiest way to avoid the key-turning motion in my picking. Is this proper technique? Could it be slowing down my changes?

I'm also not happy with any of the equipment I'm using. Wish I got an f-hole mando with a smaller nut. Oval holes has way too much sustain and I find myself palm muting a lot. Don't like my picks but I recently tried a wegen and LOVED it.

Default Re: My playing feels sloppy. Can I get some tips?

practice clean picking habits before you speed up , perhaps?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I don''t think you have given us enough information for an intelligent critique. You talk abour resting your wrist just below the bridge. For some styles of playing that may be quite acceptable position, or posting a finger on the pick guard may be acceptable for some styles. Other players of professional status may elect to let the entire hand "float" above the strings and only slightly touch the pick guard or mando top. I think it depends on your goals... but you speak of sloppiness in your present playing. Maybe your critique will be a good thing and you can re-focus on some distinct goals.

One comment though is that in posting a finger, or in your case your wrist behind the bridge creates a tonal limitation which is unnecessary and narrows your tonal options.

I would suggest watching some major players and see how they approach the mando relative to right hand position over the instrument. if you focus on not anchoring a wrist or finger it will allow you pluck, with fingers or a pick anywhere on the strngs from the bridge all the way down the neck almost to your fretting fingers. You will find the tone differs dramaticly depending on where you pick,

But I think your state of mind is probably a good thing generally because your dissatisfaction with your present situation could lead to a change of focus in your learning pattern, and that is usually a good thing as far as progress is concerned.
    Bart McNeil

Another comment is that you criticize your own instrument... It probably does have limitations as everyone's does... but a fine player can make a cheap instrument sound like a really expensive one. Based on the number of comments you have submitted I am guessing that you are fairly new to mandolin... Maybe less than a year experience. If a new mando will give you greater motivation that is great, but an expensive instrument in itself won't help much unless it really inspires you to focus more intently. Anyway good luck... you do seem motivated.
    Bart McNeil

Generally such problems spring from ergonomics. Perhaps you can find a coach for general ergonomics. A clear and free position makes all the difference in any athletic activity. Even if they're not specifically a mandolin instructor.
    Stephen Perry

This is a good start......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagoBQunZI

Good luck and have fun.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Some time after starting mandolin and getting a teacher (which was a good move, BTW), I made the same complaint, "Why am I sounding so sloppy lately?." After some discussion, he made the point that as I got more experience playing, my ear would also become better attuned of how it sounded. No problem, normal and a good thing... a milestone on the road to playing better. The better trained your ear gets, the better your playing can become because we all end up chasing our own idea of what we should sound like.

I think it's an endless pursuit, and that's the attraction. If it were easy, why bother.
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"

8. The following members say thank you to JLewis for this post:

- Use a metronome
    - Don't play faster than you are able to
    - Practice playing 'legato' (the smooth connection of notes)

I don't know what style you play. I have found and observed that trying to rev up the tempo to the sometimes ridiculously fast Bluegrass performances often results in sloppy playing.
    Just the two cents of a fellow learner
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

I just posed that question to my instructor and his reply was to play the parts I'm playing poorly over and over slowly and precisly. Sez the "fast and very clean" Bibey,Roberts,Sizemore,Steffey (to name a few) have spent some very boring sessions picking at the bad spots. Sometimes it's the setup/mandolin. I can't play 8 out of 10 "guitar center" mandos no matter how hard I try. Pick attack can cause the strings to vibrate back and forth instead of up and down creating fret buzz.