Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How much would you pay for a pick?

Default Re: How much would you pay for a pick?

I have paid up to one dollar, if I recall.
    Bart McNeil

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I apologize for two things - the lateness of this report on the Blue Chip Pick Challenge, and for resurrecting a pick thread at all. I suppose if I had been more timely with the former the latter would have been unnecessary, but, well, so it goes. Or went. Anyway ...

So, I brought the Blue Chip pick to a gig, along with the rest of my collection. This included a Dunlop 1.5mm. a Dunlop 2mm, a Fender extra heavy, and a bunch of others of varying pedigrees. I figured I would get a better idea of how each pick performed if I could listen to how the instruments sounded through the PA, not only because playing them through a decent system meant being able to hear subtle differences more clearly, but also because this would produce a certain distancing from the actual sound production, thus potentially a more objective sound sampling experience. Besides, the goal is to be able to make my instruments sound the best in a professional situation anyway.

Much to my surprise, there did indeed seem to be some variation in sound produced by these picks; I had always assumed a pick was a pick, and it was the picking, not the pick, that made a difference. I had a hard time grading the picks on anything other than a pass-fail basis The above-mentioned were in the pass group; indeed, they pretty much comprised it. I'd be hard put to say whether the Blue Chip or the Dunlops were superior, though I did feel the Fender was slightly behind them.

But there was another factor. This gig was at a dockside bar (imaginatively called The Dockside), and while the stage was constructed with plywood, the rest of the flooring was typical 2x4s with many layers of marine paint and 1/4" gaps between them. If a pick were to go flying there was a 99% chance it would slip between boards and be lost to the deep. This made me very nervous about using the Blue Chip. Even in a "normal" venue I would feel wary of losing it; in this situation, it was really wearing. Since I didn't notice a marked difference between the Blue Chip and the Dunlops, which cost just a few percent of its price, I have concluded the Blue Chip isn't worth it. All things being equal (like if I were just given these picks), I might well choose it. I like the shape and size of it, and it also feels and even looks cool. But I'll stick with what I've got.

And there is a sort of epilogue. A little while later, while cleaning up and clearing out my room, and going through a bunch of stuff in the process, I came across an old large triangular Clayton pick, a pretty thick one, in the 1.2-1.5mm range. This went back a few years, maybe even about a quarter century. This instantly became my go-to pick for half a year, so much so the logo wore off it. It was also fun to rotate it in my grip, if it ever began to do so, in either direction. No performance effect, just fun. Sadly, it went AWOL a couple of weeks ago, and I don't know what happened to the Dunlops either (the point on the 1.5mm was worn down anyway, to where it looked almost like a Grisman pick and thus was pretty unusable), so I've been using some sort of a Fender-shaped (though not Fender) sort of matte finish pick, another stage floor find. It works just fine, and the matte finish helps maintain a grip. And it's purple.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ..... flooring was typical 2x4s with many layers of marine paint and 1/4" gaps between them. If a pick were to go flying there was a 99% chance it would slip between boards and be lost to the deep. This made me very nervous about using the Blue Chip. Even in a "normal" venue I would feel wary of losing it; in this situation, it was really wearing.......
    Makes sense to me. Heck, if I thought I couldn't keep up with it, I wouldn't even play a mandolin. I'd go for the bass!!!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No kidding. You'd probably get a lot more gigs, too. And never lose a pick.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well done JB. Good report.

I am playing with a quartet now and again, and I am finding with the quartet that I like the Red Bear over the Blue Chip. There are four distinct instruments and the sound qualities of each seems to become more important.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

If I lost my CT55, and the price doubled to $70, I would still pay it. I would bitch and moan like the dickens, but I'd still pay it. Aside from the significantly increased bitching and moaning, the other thing that would happen is that I would greatly improve my pick management techniques.

Offhand, I can only think of two things that would deter me -- if I found a pick I liked better, or if the price went from $70 to $7,000. Then it would be an fairly easy decision to make.

8. The following members say thank you to wsugai for this post: