Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: gibson pickguard clamp purchased to use as pattern

Default gibson pickguard clamp purchased to use as pattern

All -

Don't really know if I'm gloating or sharing; perhaps a little of both. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson pickguard clamp.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	90244

I was fortunate to come across a very clean 1911 Gibson pickguard clamp at what I would consider a reasonable price.

Personally, I like pickguards; both aesthetically and functionally. Perhaps if I played with less enthusiasm...

But the idea of drilling a hole into the side of my instruments. I'm certainly competent to do it, but I find the idea somehow offensive. And while I could use a violin chin-rest
    clamp, the Gibson type is so much cooler.

Anyway, I bought this thing so I can reproduce it. I'm not going to make accurate reproductions, but my goal is to use a similar (but not exact... pattern infringement, etc.) cam-based mechanism.

I'll probably make the first from spring steel. Ideally, I'd use stainless, but it's a pain.

There's no possible way that I could make this profitable, but I like using whatever skills I have on behalf of fellow enthusiasts.

Y'think there'd be any interest in an updated version of this part?
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Default Re: gibson pickguard clamp purchased to use as pattern

The earliest version of the Gibson pickguard clamp was in fact very similar to a violin chinrest clamp. And although this version was patented in 1911, it didn't start showing up on mandolins right away ... a quick check of the Archive suggests it came in to use around 1913 or 1914. My guess is that Gibson used up all its chinrest clamps before switching over.

Anyhow, if you can make something that's compatible with old Gibson pickguards, you might generate some interest. If it's for modern pickguards ... well, you still have to drill into the neck block, or into the neck just under the fretboard, don't you? I don't know how many people there are who, having conceded the necessity of drilling one hole, will buy a special clamp to avoid drilling a second hole.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I'd thought of that.

The other two holes are in relatively unobtrusive positions and are potentially smaller as well. Personally, I wouldn't mind nearly as much.
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

CeeCee_C, if you have the two holes in the neck you don't need the clamp.
    Bill Snyder

Bill -

What anchors the long outboard edge? My 1919 Gibson has a hole at the base of the neck, perpendicular to the neck and a hole in the bridge. Then the clamp keeps the outer edge from flapping.
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats

There are several makers offering "abbreviated" pickguards that attach only to the neck. They're narrow enough and stiff enough (many are made of wood) that the outer edge doesn't flop around.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If you take a look at many of the modern mandolins you will notice that the pickguards are not as large and the outside edge is floating. I do not know how the high-end builders handle a larger guard. The cheaper mandolins just screw a bracket on and I suspect in that market they will continue to do that.
    I am not trying to suggest there is no market for your venture, just that it might be more limited than you think.
    Bill Snyder

Re: patent infringement, the patent is 101 years old. You should check up on this, but if the patent hasn't been renewed (and I don't know why it would have been, since Gibson stopped using cam clamps after the 1920s), I think you may be in the clear.

Oh I have no illusions about there being a vast untapped market. I wouldn't dream of making them and trying to sell them - see my first post. But I would be willing to make one for a fellow mandolinista for the cost of materials. That's really all I was sayin'.
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats

If you're going to reproduce it then reproduce it exactly right down the patent stamp otherwise you won't have any market. It will be limited as it is but there will be folks that want to buy exact replacements. There are exact copies of Loar bridges made including the patent number from later than this pickguard clamp. Go into it with your eyes open. You can probably sell dozens of these in the next 10 years or so.

If you really want to reproduce something that mandolin community really needs then reproduce the Waverly Clamshell tailpiece covers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waverly-tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	90250  

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike -

I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post.

I think the Gibson pickguard clamp is a cool little mechanism. I'm an amateur machinist and I'm going to mess around with the design.

I was just throwing it out there that I'm willing to make a functional but non-restoration-perfect copy for someone who, like me, wants to fit a pickguard.
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats

You just might end up with some takers. If I were to put a large pickguard on a mandolin I might be the first in line but I don't have any pickguards.
    Bill Snyder

I might get one from you, so there's one maybe.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

FWIW: Too much "hardware" for the job. I'd be more inclined to keep the weight down and go for elegant simplicity.
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

I believe Steve Gilchrist is making these or having them made already. I'm not sure if they're for use on his mandolins only or if he would sell them.

I found this picture on the Gruhn page. It looks like the cam style bracket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF7821b.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	90261  
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

CeCee, I don't see you getting a lot of support regarding your pickguard side clamp here, but I think that it is a good idea, especially when considering the reasons you said you would like to pursue this project. I have a business that provides parts and accessories for instrument builders and players. We have been making all kinds of pickguards since 1997, mostly mandolin guards. We make full sized ones, abbreviated ones, out of celluloid, ebony, and other exotic woods. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked if I could either make or find the customer a bracket like this. The only thing I can tell them is to look for a new one, or see if Mr. Gilchrist would cut loose of one. However, I think his policy is to only sell them along with one of his outstanding instruments.

So, I'd say "Go For It". If you ever did decide you want to offer them for sale, I would be interested in adding them to our Pickguard Arsenal! I have been involved in manufacturing all of my life, but I have never been all that involved in metal stamping, other than some college courses (Industrial Arts major). I think that once you make the tooling, metal stamping actually requires some level of quantity of parts to make it worthwhile. Then again, it sounds like you might have other goals in mind besides profitability, but if you do go that way, let me know! I could probably sell a bunch of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    CeeCee_C, if you have the two holes in the neck you don't need the clamp.
    On some iterations of pickguards, OK, but Gibsons always have always had them and I really don't think a normal Gibson guard would work without the edge support.

Steve Gilchrist found a guy in Oz, a retired machinist, who makes these clamps for him. Quite nice ones too. He's not interested in marketing them though.

I'm sure there'd be at least a small market for them. One process that I think is obvious for producing them is 3-D printing.

I see the one you have to work from has the two screwholes.

Have you thought about the alternate single bolt that Gibson used?

Whatever you end up doing, please let me know!
    Last edited by Paul Hostetter; Aug-11-2012 at 1:23pm. Reason: photo added
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

See CeeCee! There very well could be a market for these gizmos. Both Paul and I have found ourselves pretty deep in this sort of thing, and we both think so, anyway.

Just yesterday we made and sent a reproduction pickguard out to a customer for his early '20's Gibson A style mandolin. He was a classic example, no original clamp, and he didn't want to drill that tiny hole for a modern style side bracket. He would have bought one of these clamp-on brackets, if I had one to sell him. Jason, one of the guys here at Cumberland Acoustic, took an interest in coming up with an alternative clamp, using hardware that we already had in stock. It came out pretty good, so I took a picture of it. I'll try to retrieve it from my phone, and show it here in a bit.

I haven't posted a picture here in a while, let's see if this works...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Hole Free Pickguard Bracket.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	90281

We used the rod and anchor block that we normally use for part of this assembly (left side of picture, and a modern-style chinrest clamp for the clamping part (right side). The "tombstone' between these two assemblies was the only part we had to fabricate.

It went out yesterday, so it will be a few days before we hear back from the customer as to how it worked out for him. If it does work, we may add it to our line of products.

There was an earlier Gibson clamp which used an adapted violin chinrest clamp:

You can get very similar posts, made for Hill-style violin chinrests:

I still prefer the cam type, but these work well and look right.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

That's a nice solution. Simple, straightforward, probably relatively inexpensive to make.

However, I am the Queen of Over-Engineering.

Besides my gender-neutral interest in music, don't I have feminine hobbies?

Fast cars; vintage motorcycles; motor racing; parts fabrication in metal, fiberglass and carbon fiber

Early on, my mother made it clear by word and deed, that self-imposed incompetence or even worse, feigned incompetence, was totally unacceptable. Both my parents taught me what they knew and encouraged me to follow my interests.

So I was working on my Dad's British (Triumph, Jaguar) and Italian (Alfa-Romeo) cars (which are *so* reliable) from the age of 10.

I don't know why I'm boring you all silly with this self-disclosure, but somehow it seems important.
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats

24. The following members say thank you to CeeCee_C for this post:

I think you should try to get it pretty close to the original. I believe people would buy them, even if it didn't have the patent date stamp.
    Ken

Actually, I've contacted Cumberland Acoustics trying to find some for when I attempt my next two builds. I don't like drilling into the sides and think they look cool. I'd be interested.
    "If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you."

Justin - Steve, up in post #20, is Cumberland Acoustics.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net