Thread: Heel crack.. more problems to come?

Exclamation Heel crack.. more problems to come?

I have a quick question about an issue that seems to be occurring with my mandolin. A year ago, I purchased a "The Loar" LM-600-VS from Steve Perry of Gianna's violins. I took her to Scotland on tour with my group and played it all the time at gigs and pub sessions. Although, when I got home, I noticed it had been taking some heat. The heel/neck connection appeared to have a finish crack which now goes up a considerable amount on the seam between the neck and its connection to the soundbox. I did not, however, take the instrument to Canada for two weeks of chamber music camp. While I was away, it hung on the wall of the temperature-controlled living room, along with my other mandolins and my guitars in my non-smoking house. When I got home though (about two weeks ago) the action had risen considerably, starting at about the 5th fret. The neck is starting to curve inward from the dovetail joint, which I assume is the cause of the finish crack at the heel. I'm afraid that finish crack may also indicate the neck separating from the back. This crack is about a millimeter above the binding, and I fear it could be a big problem, strange to find for the structural integrity this specific instrument has boasted since its purchase.

Could these problems be due to the weather? Or is there another explanation.. for the last 5 or so months, I've been using medium gauge coated Elixir's, and have changed them every 3 weeks to month, depending on how much I play the mando. I have not touched the bridge, nut, truss rod, or adjusted the height of the saddle. I can send pictures if that would help make more sense of my question.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by JEStanek; Aug-13-2012 at 10:47am. Reason: fix title

Blog Entries

Default Re: Heel rack.. more problems to come?

Taking some heat and perhaps a bonk somewhere along the line.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Pictures may help us guess, but someone qualified will have to examine the mandolin to get a good idea of what might be going on. You should probably take it to a luthier/repair person for a "look see".

Wear and tear. But if its just been a year so maybe manufacturing defect ? Still, thats a bunch of traveling. I'll bet Steve Perry can fix it and may be able to argue a manufacturers defect on your behalf. I know a guitar shop that received a bad batch of glue/resign and made hundreds of electric guitars before that became evident. May be worth sending it back to find out.

Default Re: Heel crack.. more problems to come?

I would agree with Astro. Unless it was truly abused without your knowing, even touring and playing in pubs should not cause those problems. After all, isn't that what these instruments were meant for?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sounds like a warranty claim. Send it back and say you want a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by shortymack View Post
    Sounds like a warranty claim. Send it back and say you want a new one.
    +1 If you bought it from Steve Perry, he'll make it right. That instrument should bear a full manufacturer's warranty, and The Music Link (parent company) is conscientious about honoring warranty issues. It must go through the dealer, though.
    Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

You didn't say where it was when you flew. If it was with you in the passenger compartment shouldn't be a problem. If not, could be. In any event you should contact Steve. I'm sure he has a solution.

Good luck.
    You'd better hope your CRAZY cause there's no cure for STUPID

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0233.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	90371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	90372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0236.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	90373

Here are some pictures of the high action and crack at the heel.

When I took the instrument on the plane, it was in the overhead compartment in an Eastman shaped case like the ones that come with the 500 series. I'll send an email to Steve, but seeing as I'm in NY and he's down in Tennessee, I think I'll take what advice he has and then talk with my local luthier about repairs. Sending it back down there would be a bit of a last resort, both for the cost and possibility of doing more harm to the instrument. I wouldn't consider getting a new one, though, until I'm sure this problem is fatal -- this instrument and I have had quite the first year. It sounds great and looks superb, I just want to make sure she's in tip-top shape and condition for more travels this autumn.

Thanks for all the advice!

Looks like movement in the neck joint. May be stable, may not. Have it looked at.

Let Steve know. I am sure he will help.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.