Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for Better Tone - What Strings Do You Play??

Default The Quest for Better Tone - What Strings Do You Play??

Like everyone, I'm always looking to get a better sound from my instrument. So this week I've turned to my strings. I've never really given them much thought as where I'm located in SoCal there's not much choice. Currently I use D'Addario 0.011 - 0.040 Phosphor Bronze (the "Ricky Skaggs" set). They have been good and relatively inexpensive (7.99). The tone I get is very bright at first but wears out within a few weeks or a month. I do play daily and gig at farms and outdoor events a lot so it's not shocking that they dull quick. They are pretty tinny when first strung which is alright for bluegrass but can sound a little off for gypsy jazz styles IMO. On my old mandolin (Oscar Schmidt) I'd easily go through a couple strings in a 45 min set - the last time I played I went through 8 during 2 back to back gigs. I haven't restrung my new mandolin (Morgan Monroe) so I don't know if that was because of flaws in the mando or the strings. Anyone else have that problem?

Anyway, I want to experiment on my next re-stringing with a new set. I need to get my mandolin setup anyway, so I should be able to experiment with gauge as well. I'm looking for your feedback and some suggestions about what you all use for your strings and why you use 'em. If you're like me right now and forced into using a set, what do you think about them? Bright / dull / break often etc?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: The Quest for Better Tone - What Strings Do You Play??

There's only two personal truths I've found about the subject. First, don't limit yourself to local suppliers if they can't supply. Buy from the Internet if you have to, but keep your options open. Second, I've never found any magic formula for selecting strings. I just try and try guided by the basic characteristics of different materials. Actually, I've found the experimenting to be a lot of fun.

For those who burn their way through strings quickly, a lot of players are now using various coated strings for extra longevity.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

If you have a computer with access to the internet (as obviously you do) then you can try any string imaginable. As most experienced players do at some point, I have tried many, many different types of strings to find what I like. I settled on flatwound strings about fifteen years ago and used Thomastik heavy for most of that time. I tried some others during that time and some were difficult to get, but I always came back to Thomastik. That was until last year when I put on a set of D'Addario FW74 flatwouhnd strings. I put that first set on last August and I am still using the same set. I love them.

How long the strings last depends on several factors. The material of the strings themselves, how often and how strongly you play, the acidity level of your skin the mandolin you're putting them on and I guess, to a certain degree, your environment. Most strings are inexpensive and it's worth it to try several different kinds. Phosphor bronze, bright bronze, silk and bronze, silk and steel, stainless steel, nickel, flatwound and flat-tops, which are partially flat. Give them each some time to break in to truly evaluate them. Maybe even make a recording of each after they have broken in to refer to later. Decide what sounds best to you. It's great to get others opinions, but it is up to you to decide what works best. Don't just use something just because someone else does.

I, personally, have always disliked the bright, metallic tone of roundwound bronze strings. Many years ago I heard flatwound strings used for the first time and I immediately loved the dry tone and quick decay they produced. When I heard them being played, I felt as though I was more able to hear the wood of the mandolin instead of being distracted by the sound of the strings. They have worked well on all of the mandolins I have used them on but none better than the Breedlove I currently use. It's a perfect match for the tone I like.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I'm a former TI stark user who's switched to FW74. Both are excellent, and very long lasting, but the FW74 is a lot easier on the pocket!

D'Addario J74's (Ricky Skaggs).They suit both mine so i'll stick with them.Last year i tried some Black Diamond equivalent gauge strings on both my mandolins & although they weren't bad,they sounded very 'tight' & lacked sustain compared to the J74's. I doubt
    if i'll be tempted to try any other strings. I've found some that suit me & the mandolins - finis !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I'm a former TI stark user who's switched to FW74. Both are excellent, and very long lasting, but the FW74 is a lot easier on the pocket!
    And the FW74's much more suited to a Bluegrass sound, if that's what you play. The TI's are fantastic strings, and if they were the only string that gave me the sound I wanted, I would have no problem with the cost. My issue with the cost is they were, and still are, rising at an alarming rate. I started using them in 1997 when they were $17 per set. Now they're almost $40. Like I said, if they were my only option, I would pay it. After all, they lasted me a year. But the FW74's are 1/3 of the cost, last just as long, and give me the tone I like.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I haven`t used any flat wound string for about 20 years so they might be better now days but I found that they were great for about one day, I used them to record with and then went back to GHS A-270`s which is what I now use on all of my mandolins...

Some people are just hard on strings because of the oil in their fingers, you might want to try and clean them more often...going through 8 strings in one four hour gig is an awful lot...Could be your mandolin set up also....Most strings will sound tinny at first but do settle in after an hour or so so if yours don`t last very long it could be the way the mando is set up not allowing the full potential of the strings....After you get it set up by an expert try the same brand and see if it improves any....

Good luck....Willie

Elixir Nano coated strings are my favourites so far. Great sound and last for months instead of weeks. I have some Jazz Mando JM11s ready to be tested, but the Elixirs last so long that the JMs have been waiting for a while already.

ron

Thanks for the feedback so far!

To clear up my question - I've only used D'Addario's because they are locally available. The reason I'm posting my question is because I want the feedback of others to help guide my selection on the internet. I will of course be relying on my own two ears (and plently of recordings) to really figure out the "winner" for me. I imagine this is going to take me at least a year to truly evaluate a decent number of strings. Based on what I've heard from the board - I'm going to try the flat wounds first and see what happens

@Wille - it was two 4 hour sets, one of which was right on the beach during the day (sweat). It's still a lot of strings to go through and I have a feeling it has to do with both the mandolin setup and my playing. I've been doing some tweaks here or there to my right hand to help get a better tone and I feel the changes have helped reduce the amount of breakage - though, I still go through 2 - 4 strings when playing the farms (out in the sun, dirty, I'm sweatin etc).

I too used to exclusively use Thomastik flatwounds, but am no longer prepared to pay the high price they cost (no way did they last a year for me, maybe 2-3 months). I now use D'Addario FT74s - I like that they sound a little brighter than true Flatwounds. If you tend to break strings, though, they're probably not for you, because the A string is also wound, and the thin core is thinner than the E string, and easy to break if you have a heavy right hand (or need to play very loud in an accoustic setting). I would guess that I play 10-14 hours a week, and I kill a set of FT74s in about a month - after that, I find that they sound too dull, but I have the feeling that I prefer a brighter sound to that preferred by the majority of the members here.
    If you have the facilities to do it, I would recommend you order a variety of strings that interest you via the internet, and use the strings up, making a recording of a tune you like with a decent mike (I used a standard cassette recorder, having nothing better, with a shure SM58) as soon as the strings are broken in, then replace the strings with the next set, and so on. Then listen to the recordings back to back. I did this with D'addario flat wounds, FT74s, J74s. and D'Orazio 105s (which I use on my Electric). I was amazed at how differences in timbre which seemed enormously important whilst playing appeared much reduced on the recordings. I suspect that as a player, you hear something quite different to what the listener for whom you are playing hears. I also suspect that it is a natural tendency for musicians to drive themselves a little crazy in the search for the "perfect tone", and that it is healthy to resist this tendency.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

I really like Wyres strings. Elderly sells them. They're a little pricey but between them and Monels and 74's, all of which are favorites of mine, the Wyres hang in there. They'll last me 6-7 months, playing every day. Even then, the wound strings are pretty good but the non-wound ones will start to go off tone. NFI.

Good idea Polecat. I'll probably do that - it's similiar to what I did with picks. I'm still searching around with Picks - though I'll post that in a different thread.

I have to say one thing about D'Addario - customer service is great! Within about 20 minutes of making this post, Don from D'Addario PM'ed me with a few suggestions. I'm not an avid poster, but he still took the time to reach out. Says a lot about a company in my book and Don, Thank You for reaching out. \

I'm currently using the D'Addario J74s, but have used the Gibson Bronze Wounds that Bill Monroe endorsed. They're both excellent Bluegrass strings.

Blog Entries

I use the J74s and I love them. They are affordable and consistently do the job I ask of them. I change my strings every three months or so, they do wear quickly.

Try others see what you like. Remember that a string's sound at first might not be the sound it has after a week of playing, so give 'em a chance. You'll find what you like.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I now use D'Addario FT74s - I like that they sound a little brighter than true Flatwounds. If you tend to break strings, though, they're probably not for you, because the A string is also wound, and the thin core is thinner than the E string, and easy to break if you have a heavy right hand (or need to play very loud in an accoustic setting). I would guess that I play 10-14 hours a week, and I kill a set of FT74s in about a month.
    I like that you distinguished the FT 74's as not true flatwounds. I am amazed at how many times I have read about people using FT74's and really think they are flatwound strings. The FT's (Flat Tops) should sound brighter than true flatwounds because the are made with bronze windings, which is a brighter material than stainless steel, with which flatwounds are made. Bronze also corrodes faster and goes dead faster than stainless steel. You didn't mention whether or not you have tried the D'Addario FW74 set. They are true flatwound strings, but are a different animal than Thomastik. They have a significantly brighter and punchier tone than Thomastik. You do mention that you prefer a brighter sound. I'm exactly the opposite. I have a bright mandolin and I never have liked a bright tone. I'm sure that's why flatwounds have always appealed to me. I like the warmer tone, very quick decay, and lack of brightness.

I was interested about your comments about the fragility of the FT74 wound A strings. I only used the FT's one time. I hated them and removed them after about 4 days. But, I used the Thomastik Heavy set for about 14 years and they also have a wound A string. I usually had a set on for 6 to 8 months and in 14 years I never broke a single string. I wonder what makes the FT's A strings so fragile.

I completely agree with your assessment that we, as musicians, are much more likely to notice differences in strings and picks that we use than our audience does, even other musicians. But after all, it is ourselves that we have to please first and we all know what sound appeals to us and what tone we are seeking. I feel fortunate that, at least for now, I have found a string and pick combination that provides that tone for me. I'm sure it won't be long before I see some pick that I want to try.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

I think every instrument has it's own string preference, so it is worth trying different strings just to see. I prefer the J74s with heavier (.016) A strings, and most of my mandolins agree.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

I used to break Thomastik A strings, too, particularly in my punk mandolin phase. Obviously I play harder than you, Mandobassman. I did try tha D'Addario flat wounds, but liked the FT74s better, as I say I prefer a brighter sound, I also prefer a mandolin with a round sound hole because it has longer sustain. I play fairly untraditional music and the percussive bluegrass tone is not what I am aiming at, more like the ringing sound favoured by "celtic" musicians, with a bit more body (I'm fairly sure that's incomprehensible, what was that with "dancing about architecture"?).
    I'm also fairly convinced that the biggest factor in my tone is ME, how I use my pick much more than what kind of pick it is, and how I fret my strings more than which strings I use. Also my choice of chord voicings, phrasing and so on - it all adds up to my individual sound.

19. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

mbruno 

Now this might sound weird to most people but I've toyed around with the idea of combining flatwounds (JM110B's) with roundwounds to hear what that would sound like. It seems like it has potential to be the best of both worlds...or the worst of both.

Has anyone ever tried it and if so, what did you hear/think?
    Gypsy Renegade

Logic is a function of desire

That is a really crazy idea, emitfo. Go for it, and, if you can, make a recording. Most of all, I would be curoius to know what it feels like to play mixed courses.

Quote Originally Posted by emitfo View Post
    Now this might sound weird to most people but I've toyed around with the idea of combining flatwounds (JM110B's) with roundwounds to hear what that would sound like. It seems like it has potential to be the best of both worlds...or the worst of both.

Has anyone ever tried it and if so, what did you hear/think?
    My gut feeling is that it would be wierd to hear and play. I think the roundwounds would out volume the flatwounds and you would probably hear much more of the roundwound tone. If you are combining flatwound with bronze strings, than you would have a great mis-match of tones. But, you'll never know 'till you try. Stranger things have happened.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

those mandolins i've seen (Morgan Monroe) , are rather thick topped. ,
    so their tone is compromised, by sturdy build choice.

try heavier bronze and hold the back away from your belly..
    so the whole box can ring.

tone-gards do that for you.. leaves resonant space, so back can move..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

24. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

mbruno 

Thanks Mandroid, I actually have a tone guard on the way already too

The Morgan isn't the be all end all - it's good, but definitely higher low end or lower mid range based on their wood choices (plywood...ewwww hehe). But I have to say, if I mute my inner snob - this particular mandolin is actually a really great bang for the buck. Got mine brand new for under $400 - played 2 gigs that day with it and had zero complaints (and oddly enough, zero broken strings).

That's for the suggestion on the heavier side. I usually play with 0.011's but I'll check out the 0.012s. I love bassier tones anyway - my guitar uses 0.013's and I also play a lot of bass.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I always seem to go back to GHS Silk & Bronze after I experiment with other strings. Metallic jangle leaves quickly and they last me for several months usually.

Coating the strings with "StringLife" seems to make them last longer and stay slick longer too.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I agree with the positive comments about flat wounds. I use JazzMandos on my mandolin and Thomastiks lights on my OM. I'd suggest the OP check out the JazzMandos. JazzMandos sound and feel great and the price sure won't hurt like the Thomastiks.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

a half step between .011", and .012" is .0115" for the E's.

maybe .045" G, ..026 D, .016 A?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture