Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug Unger Mandolin??

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Doug Unger Mandolin??

Very lovely instrument. I like the design more than all the inlay, and it's terrific. But the design does it for me.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Here's a video from the two-point flower pot mandolin mentioned above!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarrisonMandolin For This Useful Post:

Way back in the Plasticine Era, 1979 when I was a young fella, I spent five weeks in Elkins WV taking a luthiery course at Augusta, taught mainly by Paul Reisler. In that length of time our group of neophytes each completed, from raw lumber, a hammered dulcimer and an open-back banjo. No shortcuts. That was a get-it-done (right) course. When our banjos we’re about done, Paul explained to us one day: “my friend Doug is going to show you techniques for inlay and engraving. Also, he’s going to educate you about taste and aesthetics. I know you all think you have excellent taste, but actually you all don’t.” Tough love in that course. So Doug Unger literally rolls in. He’s driving a little sports car, maybe an MGB, you know the luggage racks on the trunk? He’s got his custom travelling toolbox mounted on that rack—this guy is the professor who is too cool for school! He spent a couple of days showing us how to decorate our banjos and talking aesthetics. I don’t remember too many specifics but in discussing the artistic merits of mandolins I asked him to comment about F4s. He expressed his opinion that a 3/4 view (whatever that is) of a classic F4 is the most aesthetically pleasing sight of a human made artifact in the known universe. And yeah, he showed us how to do nice, simple engraving and inlay on our fretboards and pegheads. And told some bad jokes. The whole experience was kinda surreal. I wish I still had that banjo. It hung on my wall for 25 years, I never did really get a feel for 5-strings.
    I'm not surprised he still has a “cult following”, I would dearly love to try a few of his instruments.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Cameron For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270BC344-F29B-4B89-BB00-4689311DDCED.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	726.9 KB 
ID:	202540

1984 Doug Unger F4 style mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post: