Thread: CL find: Galveston (I know...) Blonde... Should I go for it?

Default CL find: Galveston (I know...) Blonde... Should I go for it?

Hi all, I recently found a Galveston mandolin on Craigslist near me. Now, I know that Galveston Mandolins aren't highly regarded, but I'm tempted in this case for a couple of reasons. Fist, the guy is only asking $45 for it. Second, it has a very nice blonde/beechwood finish, with an interesting grain pattern on the back. And third, the guy is only asking $45!

I do have a couple of reservations about it, though. First, it's a Galveston, and I know they aren't known for quality instruments. Second, it's missing half its strings, so I can't even see if it is playable, or what kind of tone it produces.

Do you guys think it would be worth picking up, if nothing else, as a beater/backup, or as a project for learning to set up a mandolin, without risking a more expensive instrument?

Should I get it?
    Should I offer the guy $30 and see what he says?
    Should I just walk away?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: CL find: Galveston (I know...) Blonde... Should I go for it?

It may be a cheap way to discover what you think of the mandolin as an instrument. It will need some setting up to make it playable, so think of it as a cheap weekend craft project. Have some fun with it. And if you end up wanting something better, you can easily get your money back by reselling it.

This would be my second mandolin. I've had a Trinity River for a little over a year now. Again. not the greatest quality, but the TR is definitely playable. I'd like to do some work on that one, too, but I'm a bit hesitant to start filing away on the nut and the bridge until I have an idea of what I'm doing... Setting up the Galveston would give me a chance to learn a few things without spending too much money, and like you said, I could always get my money back by selling it.

Or, alternatively, you could establish "John's Home For Acoustically-Challenged Mandolins." You have a beginner's level mandolin already. Forty-five bucks isn't a lot, but why actually do you need another beginner's level instrument?

Were I in your position, I'd save the $45 toward a $4-600 mandolin, keep the Trinity River as a "beater" and a med-school cadaver on which to practice surgery, and forego purchasing another assemblage of Asian plywood.

On the other hand, you can spend $45 on an evening's beer and pizza. You're not risking much, but I don't see the Galveston as an upgrade over what you've got.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Do I need another "beginner" mandolin? No, not really. Is it an upgrade from what I have? Absolutely not. But it would be nice to have an ff hole and an oval hole of similar quality to compare.

Besides, it would fit right in with my other "Asian plywood..." My dad's Canora 12 string guitar, my in-law's Mitchell acoustic, my Takamine G series. And my Mexican-made Squier Stratocaster and Squier P-Bass... The only possibly American-made instrument I have is an old Kay tenor banjo, on loan indefinitely from a friend.

But in all seriousness, money is painfully tight right now, and about to get tighter, with a baby due in December. I realize that it may very well be 20 years before I can afford that "magical instrument" that has great tone and amazing playability... Is there any harm in acquiring mediocre instruments that are in my budget, setting them up to get the absolute most out of them, and enjoying the hell out of them?

Default Re: CL find: Galveston (I know...) Blonde... Should I go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork John View Post
    Do I need another "beginner" mandolin? No, not really. Is it an upgrade from what I have? Absolutely not. But it would be nice to have an ff hole and an oval hole of similar quality to compare.

Besides, it would fit right in with my other "Asian plywood..." My dad's Canora 12 string guitar, my in-law's Mitchell acoustic, my Takamine G series. And my Mexican-made Squier Stratocaster and Squier P-Bass... The only possibly American-made instrument I have is an old Kay tenor banjo, on loan indefinitely from a friend.

But in all seriousness, money is painfully tight right now, and about to get tighter, with a baby due in December. I realize that it may very well be 20 years before I can afford that "magical instrument" that has great tone and amazing playability... Is there any harm in acquiring mediocre instruments that are in my budget, setting them up to get the absolute most out of them, and enjoying the hell out of them?
    Absolutely not...the negative comments you're getting, I think, are in an effort to keep you from hoping you're gonna find "the one" at this range. I bought probably 3 sub 500 dollar instruments hoping to find the "Kentucky that's better than any Gibson," though not all were Kentuckys. I finally saved up and bought a Silverangel...not really what I set out to buy, but I've been immensely impressed with it, and at only 900 dollars used. It's light years better than any of the cheapies I bought.

That said, there's nothing wrong with any of the cheaper mandos I bought, either. One's my beater, one my brother's playing in his praise band at church, and the flatiron 1 N I still play often. theKentucky has served as my speed neck trial, I've had to glue part of the headstock back on, and it may well be a neck reset, refret, and top regraduation project. I've loved them all, and am glad I've owned them. But, they're not anywhere near my SA in quality and tone...
    Chuck

...I realize that it may very well be 20 years before I can afford that "magical instrument" that has great tone and amazing playability... Is there any harm in acquiring mediocre instruments that are in my budget, setting them up to get the absolute most out of them, and enjoying the hell out of them?
    No harm at all. But, with money "painfully tight," is putting even $45 into another "mediocre instrument" the best use of scarce resources? That's ten percent of the price of a Rover RM-75, all-solid-wood carved F-model f-hole mandolin, arguably miles beyond what you have and what you're considering. And, of course, made in Asia. Bet you'd "enjoy the hell out of it" even more.

Not talking about "magical instruments with great tone and amazing playability." There are tons of good mid-range instruments, by Kentucky, Loar, Rover, Eastman, and other good Asian builders, that would give you better sound, better playability, and probably "boost your game" musically. They cost between $300 and $600; yes, that's a lot of money compared to $45, but we're not mortgaging the house or depleting Junior's college fund here.

I have a friend -- let's call him "Dan," because that's his name -- who "collects guitars," or so he says. When I went to his house, he had a half-dozen sitting out on stands. Every one of them was a bottom-end cheapo, and I thought, "redundant!" If one low-end instrument is fun and charming, are six of them six times funner and charming-er?

Do whatever works for you, but remember, you asked for advice. I have six dozen instruments, and they aren't all "magical," but each one has a purpose -- or had when I bought it. Nothing against Asian-made instruments; I've bought quite a few. And none of the ones mentioned above are US-made; we don't build low- or mid-range mandolins much any more. But, were I in your shoes, I'd think "better" than a $45 Galveston.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks, Chuck. I have no illusions that something magical will happen with this Galveston when I play it. I'm not looking for "something better" than my Trinity River, which, in my opinion, is worth every penny of the $100 I paid for it... Really, I'm just looking for "something else" and "something different," and something I can sand down, etc, without hesitation... Even if it's junk, my first mandolin, the Trinity River Drifter, will always be special to me.

Default Re: CL find: Galveston (I know...) Blonde... Should I go for it

Allen, I appreciate your well-worded, well-thought out response. I will definitely consider the points you've made. The reason money is "painfully tight" is that I work for a school district, and I don't work while school isn't in session. I haven't had a "real" paycheck since May. But, school is back in session, and I have a new position with better pay and better hours, so I might be able to put a bit aside here and there for an upgrade. As I play more, and possibly incorporate mandolin into the occasional solo acoustic Irish folk sets/Celtic jam sessions I'll play here and there, I might be able to justify an upgrade/convince the wife. That's my ultimate goal.

In this price range, tonal differences between oval and F-hole mandolins would, I think, be negligible.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Looks like your mind was already made up to purchase this as a mandolin that you can learn a craft on....45 bucks would be a good investment if you really learned some things about set ups and repairs but I wouldn`t expect it to be anything exceptional....Might be a waste of more money like a new bridge, nut, tailpiece etc and then you will never get back your investment but could salvage those parts for possible later repairs....

Its almost like throwing good money after bad....

Willie

Blog Entries

Go for it! You're intrigued by the instrument, and it's a good opportunity to learn something about restoration and setup for very little money. And if you wind up with an instrument that's playable at all, it's hard to imagine you couldn't recover your investment.

I have often regretted passing up something like this, but never regretted the purchase.

I think the main thing in your advantage is your curiosity about mandolins and your willingness to work on them. You will have very little to lose and a great deal to gain by repairing and adjusting low end mandolins. their materials may not be top grade but for learning they can be great lessons. I have repaired a number of lower end mandolins and have learned something from each of them. At this point I would avoid one with a bent neck, but even that can usually be dealt with.

Personally I have a couple of really nice sounding mandolins and banjos and a bunch of OK but by no means ezxciting mandos, sound wise.

the main thing is that once you know what you are doing be ready to pounce when a damaged instrument shows up on eBay or this site. They are out there and once you have confidence and you know what you want you are ready. The body of one of my best sounding was almost broken in half, the front crushed almost to the back. if you have the time and all the parts these can be repaired.
    Bart McNeil

[QUOTE= Really, I'm just looking for "something else" and "something different," and something I can sand down, etc, without hesitation... Even if it's junk, my first mandolin, the Trinity River Drifter, will always be special to me.[/QUOTE]

I hear you...I've come close to trading or selling the Kentucky a couple of times, but always end up keeping it. But, then, I'm too sentimental. The 2 other cheaper mandos were primarily to satisfy MAS attacks, though I justified them as needing an A/E and wanting "oval hole tone." I must admit, the Flatiron's a keeper, though! And, they've all taught me something, which is part of the journey.

Good luck!
    Chuck

I was recently at a gathering where folks had newish Webbers running two to four thousand dollars. I was excited to find that my Stradolin, worth maybe $200-$300 sounded just as good. Besides it will take many years before their Webers will look as funky as my Stradolin. Money can't buy that look... It is the result of about 80 years of hard labor.
    Bart McNeil

Well, despite my reservations, and many suggestions to pass on it, I bought it... it's gonna need some work. Nut needs adjustment, tailpiece needs to be replaced, bridge might need to be sanded down or replaced... I'll start a thread on the build once I get going, and I'll take pictures at every step.

This will be educational for sure, and maybe, just maybe, a bit of fun too...

Should I get it?
    Go for it. Isn't that the model Glen Campbell sang about? -Harry