Thread: 1920´s J. R. Stewart Le Domino Mandolin

Default 1920´s J. R. Stewart Le Domino Mandolin

Hi folks!
    This is my very first post. Im from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I play ukulele mostly but I wanted to try mandolin too.
    I recently bought my first mandolin, a rare Le Domino. I have a couple Le Domino ukuleles and they are hard to find but this is the only le domino mandolin I have ever seen.
    here are some pics:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: 1920´s J. R. Stewart Le Domino Mandolin

Bienvenido, Gaspar. These are cool. I have some images of others in my files at home that I'll try to post later. Meanwhile, here's Van

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Here is a page from a 1930 Tonk Bros. catalog advertising the Le Domino line of mandolins, tenor guitars, tiples, ukes, etc.

That yours is Stewart label is one more piece in the incestuous puzzle of Chicago instrument makers…

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tonk Bros 1930 Le Domino Page.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	91038  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Thank you! I have that catalog. This mandolin was made by Jr Stewart betwen 1925 and 1929. Then tonkbross bought the "le domino" brand and a few year laters regal bought it from tonk bross.
    Im doing a little research about J.R. Stewart but is hard to get info so if anyone know something about him and his instruments I would really apreciate it.
    A rumor says that the Le domino brand was named after Josephine Baker as that was her nickname in France where she was very popular

I was thinking about buying an ebay (? iirc) example of this domino mandolin just as a piece of history. I talked myself out of it, but they are prettier than many of the other decorated mandos of that era. Sometimes I wish I hadn't been so persuasive.... my father's old Regal-made (maybe '20s?) mandolin, and it has a very pleasant sound. They can be great fun and good listening enjoyment.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
    Thank you! I have that catalog. This mandolin was made by Jr Stewart betwen 1925 and 1929. Then tonkbross bought the "le domino" brand and a few year laters regal bought it from tonk bross.
    Im doing a little research about J.R. Stewart but is hard to get info so if anyone know something about him and his instruments I would really apreciate it.
    A rumor says that the Le domino brand was named after Josephine Baker as that was her nickname in France where she was very popular
    Good for you, Gaspar. Any holes that we can get filled in on this era of Chicago makers is very welcome. I admit I have blurred the Chicago JR Stewart with the Philadephian SS Stewart. There are tidbits of information in Bob Carlins "Regal" book but not a lot. Let's hope Mike Edgerton joins the conversation. He has as clear an understanding of anyone here viz the 20s-30s Chicago makers.

I'm sure you found this site on line about JR Stewart ukes:

JR Stewart ukes

It gives a street address for the company of 2541 W. 22nd. Street in Chicago. I'll try to track this down on some old Sanborn insurance maps and see if the Stewart shop shows up.

Cool stuff. Even more intriguing now that the Josephine Baker story is out. Here's a bit about JB and Martin tiples:

Josephine

Wow. She's a lot better looking than Bill Monroe.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
    Hi folks!
    This is my very first post. Im from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I play ukulele mostly but I wanted to try mandolin too.
    I recently bought my first mandolin, a rare Le Domino. I have a couple Le Domino ukuleles and they are hard to find but this is the only le domino mandolin I have ever seen.
    here are some pics:

Hello Gaspar,
    Greetings from Horse Shoe, NC. I was also bidding on the Le Domino Mandolin that was posted on ebay. I presume this is the one that was listed from supro boy in san francisco. Glad it went to some one who appreciates ukulele. I have 2 Le domino ukes, 2 le domino parlor guitars, 1 le domino big boy and finally 1 le domino banjo uke. The parlor guitars sound the best as they are ladder braced.
    I hope to find another mandolin soon. Have you made plans for the neck reset on the mandolin yet. I had neck resets on my parlor guitars. I have about 25 ukuleles and banjo ukes in my collection now.
    Regards, Pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0384.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	91133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0385.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	91134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0386.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	91135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0387.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	91136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0388.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	91137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0389.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	91138 This is my Le Domino Collection sans Mandolin

Brunello thank you so much! I´ve been trying to find out more about J.R. Stewart. He didn't stay in business too long. I wonder if there is descendents of him to help resolve the mistery.

Hi Pete!
    Really nice collection you have there! I just love Le Domino intruments.
    This mandolin is really nice but it needs a neck reset as you said.
    Good luck finding one for yourself! If I see another one I will let you know.
    Please send me a message with your email so we could talk about this things
    Here is my humble Le Domino collection:

Those are nice instruments Gaspar.