Thread: I think I gust got a great deal on a Gibson f-5G.. did I?

Question I think I gust got a great deal on a Gibson f-5G.. did I?

Just bought a brand new Gibson f-5g for $3,600 +tax. Was originally going for $4,600. I love the instrument. I'm used to playing much lower end mandos, so the tone gave me goose bumps when I first tried it. But I haven't had the opportunity to try any other instruments in that price range. The closest I came was an Eastman MD915, which I liked, but it wasn't the f-5.

I can still return it within 30 days. Should I hang on to it or shop around a little more? I'm having trouble finding many other f-5gs for sale anywhere so it's tough to compare the price.

And how well do new Gibsons hold their value these days?

Default Re: I think I gust got a great deal on a Gibson f-5G.. did I?

John,

You got a great deal!! I've seen used F-5Gs go for just slightly less than you paid for brand new with a warranty. Stop shopping and get busy playing that thing.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

As new F5G's go, you paid a reasonable price. I've had a 92 F5 G for sale on the Cafe for $3400 OBO OR TRADE, but buying new, you get a warranty, which can be important.. Have fun with your new mandolin.
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

Used, in exellent condition, 3K to $3200. Mine's rough, probably worth $2600 to $2800, not that it's going anywhere. New production has been very, very desirable. They're building very clean, good sounding stuff. Of the F5-style mandolins in this price range, the F5G is a good value. Play it long hours and don't spare the whip. These things blossom real well. And yes, that was a decent price. Enjoy.
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john09121 View Post
    the tone gave me goose bumps when I first tried it.
    There's the answer, isn't it?

The current (Dave Harvey era) Gibson's are outstanding. Lovely build quality, nice materials, and they really do have "the sound".

I endorse what Len says above... quit shopping and get to picking that thing. It will get even better with some serious playing time on it. These are fine mandolins by any standard.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

That's a good deal on a solid mandolin. Whip it like a rented mule and don't look back! It will just give you more goosebumps over time.