Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin setup by Rob Meldrum

Default Re: Mandolin setup by Rob Meldrum

Big thanks to Rob for sending the link to the eBook. I've not had time to digest it all yet, but it sure appears thorough. Great work!
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Thanks for the ebook Rob. looks like lots of good stuff

Thanks Rob, the ebook looks awsome...looks a little scary for a newbie like me, but it sure helps understanding why setup works

Let me add my thanks as well...loads to learn.
    Thanks Rob.

I can't add much to what has been said above regarding "thank you, Rob," but I can say this. I have some questions about nut details on a mandolin I own, and most of my remaining questions have been answered by looking over Rob's careful description. Thanks.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I, as well, just received my eBook from Rob, and it looks great. Thanks Rob!

I just this minute ordered a Rogue mandolin,.... with which to give the eBook a work-out. I'll let you know how things transpire. If "I" can do this, anyone can. Can't wait to get started.

Leigh
    2011 Pura A Mandolin
    2012 Collings MT-O Gloss Top
    2013 Pura Bouzouki

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

GREAT E-BOOK ROB!!!

I just want to add my two shekels to the kudos going out to Rob. I found his e-book easy to follow, and filled with great information. His before and after videos certainly prove his point that an inexpensive mando can sound decent when given a decent set up! I'd love to see some more videos on some of the more technical aspects, especially regarding the bridge. I'm a visual learner when it comes to using tools. Even so, this is a great ebook for those of us who are interested in either performing set ups on our mandos, or even just having the set up process demystified.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Awesome ! - thanks for the book Rob !!

I just got the book too. It looks great! I am hoping to give it a try on an old, slightly broken beater I have.
    Thanks Rob!

I received my new black Rogue today, and it appears to need the set up, so that's good. I was hoping it didn't come in a perfectly set-up condition :>)
    2011 Pura A Mandolin
    2012 Collings MT-O Gloss Top
    2013 Pura Bouzouki

Thanks also from me for the ebook. Going to enjoy going through it.

In the woods near Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Just got this sent to me by Rob. A fantastic resource! Rob has obviously put a lot of time and effort in to the e-book. Thanx again, Rob!!!
    Let's all go back to 78 rpm!

Rob, thank you for the setup book. It has helped me out tremendously in the proper setup of my Rogue A style. The setup on my Rogue was terrible. I had paid someone to initially set the mandolin up, but they neglected to even touch the saddle and the bridge. At the 12th fret, the strings were roughly a .1 of an inch from the 12th fret. I've now setup the bridge and the saddle to the proper height. Intonation is probably about as good as I can get it with this mandolin. I will be attempting to work on the nut sometimes in the next couple of days. It looks fairly straight forward, will just take my time. After the nut is complete, I'll be putting a new set of strings on the mandolin to complete the setup.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever replaced a nut on a Rogue before? If so, is the nut hard to remove?

Thanks so much for the book. It was well written with plenty of instruction.

Andy
    Last edited by olskool; Nov-22-2012 at 1:19pm.

I too got this a few days ago I read through it but haven't tried to do any set up yet (no time) but the info is comprehensive, thanks Rob.
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

Quote Originally Posted by gauze View Post
    I too got this a few days ago I read through it but haven't tried to do any set up yet (no time) but the info is comprehensive, thanks Rob.
    Ditto. It is written very clearly, fresh air.

Andy, I have replaced the nut on a Rogue. The nut came off very easily with a light tap from a small hammer. I replaced the nut with one I made from bone. It was a bit of work to cut and shape the new nut, but easy enough to do. Looks and sounds fine, but there was no dramatic change in tone. Not something I would do again unless the nut was broken.

I did the same for a broken nut on an older mandolin I am restoring, so I benefitted from the prior experience. I'm glad everyone is finding the ebook useful. If your mandolin doesn't play like butter, email me for your free copy at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Please put mandolin ebook in the subject line - it makes it easier to find and reply quickly. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Rob

A lot of good info. It should make a lot of lower end and out of shape mandolins sound much better.

Quote Originally Posted by robster View Post
    Andy, I have replaced the nut on a Rogue. The nut came off very easily with a light tap from a small hammer. I replaced the nut with one I made from bone. It was a bit of work to cut and shape the new nut, but easy enough to do. Looks and sounds fine, but there was no dramatic change in tone. Not something I would do again unless the nut was broken.

I did the same for a broken nut on an older mandolin I am restoring, so I benefitted from the prior experience. I'm glad everyone is finding the ebook useful. If your mandolin doesn't play like butter, email me for your free copy at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Please put mandolin ebook in the subject line - it makes it easier to find and reply quickly. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Rob
    I was just wondering. The nut that came with the Rogue may be able to be fixed, but the slots that were cut at the factory are wider than the strings. The person that set up the Rogue, cut the slots slightly deeper to correct the string height at the first fret. It works for right now (string height is about .012), but if I sand the nut height down to the proper height, I'm afraid the strings may buzz or even move in the slot due to the factory cut slots. It may be worth just leaving the nut alone.

Since using your book to set this mandolin up, it plays sooooooo much better. Bridge\saddle height, and string height is right where it needs to be according to your book. I know I won't get much more out of the mandolin, but this is my travel mandolin. I was just wondering if I should go ahead and attempt to replace the nut with a properly cut nut. The action is a lot better which is what I want.

Thanks so much,

Andy

Thank you Rob. I got the ebook by email and I am very impressed by the amount of lnformation, the work you have put into it and your generousity in giving it to people free. Your videos are also great. Thanks and best of luck in your future projects.
    Mandoak
    If it can't be bought it can be built

Hi again, Andy,

It's funny, I just did a set up on a mandolin where the nut slots were cut too wide. After lowering them to the right height I checked to make sure there were no overtones or unwanted buzzing from the nut. This would have meant the tops of the strings were vibrating against the nut. Since the tops of the nut slots were already wider than the custom cut lowered slots, the strings weren't vibrating, so I didn't need to file down the top of the nut.

I think you'll be fine. Glad the set up went well for you. :-)

Rob

I had the same question. Sorry to be redundant but I just want to be sure I'm hearing right.

I had a set up done by a local luthier. He deepened my slots too and all measures out OK.

But he did not file down my nut to expose the top half of the strings. Even the wound strings are completely down in the slot with no part of the string at the nut sticking up beyond the plane of the nut top. The nut top surface is still flat on top just as it came from the factory.

I get no buzzing but I wonder if I'm cheating my tone or volume ?

Should I go to the trouble now of filing down the nut top to expose half the string or just leave it ?

Is the nut filing thing to expose the upper string something done just to prevent buzzing or does it have effect on volume/tone ?

I think you answered it above as something done just to prevent buzzing, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks, Bill

You understood me, Bill. If the nut slots are the correct width and filed deeply, they can act against the vibrating string and you will hear odd buzzing or overtones. If you don't have the problem, you don't need to file the nut down. The inexpensive plastic nuts can break if you aren't very, very careful filing them down.

Cheers,

Rob

23. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

Astro 

Hi Rob, Thanks a million for the great resource! You obviously put a lot of time into the ebook and vids, thank you for making them available! Fantastic!

Thanks so much for the reply Rob. Since this is a travel mandolin, I'm going to leave well enough alone. Thank you so much for answering my questions.

Andy

Rob, your ebook is a great resource. I spent a few hours today making nut files and working on my cheap, barely playable project mandolin. After taking 0.045" off my the one piece bridge and making the nut slots 0.02" deeper, the string height is within the range you recommend at both the first and twelfth frets. It plays better than ever, it is better intonated than ever, and it sounds like a completely different mandolin! The improvement in tone and volume is unbelievable!

Thanks again!