Thread: String Question for Uke Conversion

Default String Question for Uke Conversion

Okay, so I'm running around a lot these days (trying to move to a different city), and so I wanted a travel mandolin. I did not have the money to spend on (yet another) mandolin, even a Sweet Pea or a Backpacker, and I wanted something even smaller. I came across a couple of threads here talking about stringing a uke with the Aquila soprano fifths set, and since I'm really no good at anything with strings that isn't tuned in fifths, I figured I'd repurpose my ukulele and went ahead and ordered the strings from Elderly. It sounds great, not totally like a mandolin and not totally like a uke but really, really interesting, and it's quiet enough and small enough for easy travel. I'm very pleased.

So here's my question. I know the wound G will wear out before the Nylgut strings. However, it seems the single low G specifically for the soprano fifths set is only sold across the pond, and not here in the US. Does anyone know if the low G of the soprano fifths set is the same gauge as the low G of a regular low G soprano set? I've been Googling all afternoon and haven't come up with an answer.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: String Question for Uke Conversion

I'm not certain, but you might check with juststrings-dot-com. I recall their advertisements for Aquila mentioning to buy several wound G's at a time becasue they wear out, and I think they offer them for that reason. Not sure though. Good luck!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I just know that juststrings doesn't have the fifths set, so I'm not sure that they'd know. I suppose Elderly might, though, now that you mention that...

In case anyone in the future is searching for this information, I did contact Elderly and the answer was yes, the G from the "low G" soprano set is pretty comparable in gauge to the g of the "fifths" soprano set. Meaning I might have to try those unwound Aquila red low G strings....

I plan on Trying the Aquila, what I have been using is CF Martins Baritone strings, 3 of 4
    mixing in the thinner ones from the Soprano sets. ..

those have 2 wound strings the lower a silvered copper, the other an aluminum wound multi filament, core.

what does Aquilla use for winding around the G?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I believe the G is wound with silvered copper, but I could be wrong.

The Aquila Soprano strings in fifth (with low G) on my "Baroque Ukulele" sound very nice. I bought them on sale last March in England in a shop that was closing down. The G is wound with silvered copper. The quality and gauge seems to be the same as the Aquila Mandolin strings but the uke strings are shorter.

Today I put on Aquila Mandolin strings on a Herwiga mando. They need time to keep the pitch. I like them and I'm surprised how strong the sound is. Strange there is a problem with one of the A strings which is far too flat on upper frets. Need to be replaced.

I will test the new low G from the Aquila RED SERIES (exchange with the wound G strings) on my mandolin. These strings are longer and the G is available in 3 gauges (soprano, concert, tenor).
    http://schneidermusik.de/shop1/index...n_categories/1

roady43
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1512.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	91541  

Quote Originally Posted by roady43 View Post
    I will test the new low G from the Aquila RED SERIES (exchange with the wound G strings) on my mandolin. These strings are longer and the G is available in 3 gauges (soprano, concert, tenor).
    http://schneidermusik.de/shop1/index...n_categories/1

roady43
    Let me know what you think of the Aquila RED SERIES G. Since the strings on my uke-mando are fairly new, I don't really feel like I need to test it yet, but I'd be interested in knowing what the non-wound alternative is like.