Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig

In the woods near Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Default Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    After much consideration I'd go with Syd Barrett, as long as I was assured that we'd get the pre-madness Barrett.
    I'd rather see the "post-madness" Barrett, myself. Much more interesting songs, IMO.
    Let's all go back to 78 rpm!

Chris Whitley

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Re: Hendrix

I doubt that many at the Cafe have ever heard of, let alone read, Lewis Shiner's great rock-n-roll/sci-fi novel "Glimpses". Reminiscent of Philip K. Dick with alternate reality journeys into the past to visit/interact Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, and Hendrix.
    Niles H.
    I read it a few years back, Niles, and enjoyed it. Great fun for us geezers who grew up in the '50s and '60s.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Queen.
    http://www.mahoganyfolk.com
    For real music..
    I love folk-rock!!

This all reminds me of the old joke.

A guy dies & wakes up in a room full of instruments. In walks Hendrix & picks up a guitar, in walks Keith Moon & sits behind the Drums, in walks Duck Dunn & picks up a Bass. The guy says "I've died & gone to Rock 'n' Roll Heaven". Hendrix says, "What makes you think we're in Heaven". In walks Karen Carpenter & picks up a microphone & says, " We've only just begun, a one and a two...

Levon Helm. He wasn't done yet.

I'll add another vote for Duane Allman! Easy choice for me.
    I'd bet $$ that he's the one Clapton would pick too. They had a mutual admiration society thing going when he was alive. It would be really awesome to invite Clapton to the resurrection, I think he owns one of Duane's old guitars.

Randy Rhodes would be my second choice. That kid had a gift.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Sam Cooke, John Belushi, Liberace...OK, 2 out of 3 maybe....
    Living’ in the Mitten

Captain Beefheart, of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captain-Beefheart-dust-bl-007.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	91231

I'm a relatively young fella (not quite over the hill yet) and I'm so happy that live music experiences are some of my favorite things to do. It's funny sometimes because I've got a decent bootleg collection and sometimes think about what a riot it would've been to be at such n such show way 'back in the day'. Then I think maybe it wasn't what I'd expect when I see photos of a seated audience in Portchester, NY, ca 1971 or so. Then again, they don't allow kegs on the hill at Pine Knob anymore either...

guys I've seen:
    Michael Houser (Widespread Panic lead guitar)
    Jerry

guys I missed:
    Joe Strummer
    Duane Allman
    Allen Woody in Gov't Mule (I saw him w/ ABB once or twice tho)
    Pigpen
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

This thread reminds me of the Far Side by Gary Larson.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decomposing_maestro.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	91235

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I would have liked to see Amy Winehouse as well. Wish I had payed more attention to her. She seems like a force of nature. What a tragedy.

I've seen most of the greats from 60/70's 'cause I was lived in the Bay Area. The Dead and Airplane played for free quite a bit. I actually got tired of hearing them play, lol. They were our extended neighbors. Never got tired of John Cippolino and Quicksilver, though. If I listed the folks I saw, it would take too long. Besides Jimi Hendrix, Jr. Walker and a few others, some of my favorite performances were at our local bars where folks like Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Cassidy, Nick Gravenities and others would jam.

Honestly, the quality of musicians here in Portland have cured any longing I might have had for the music of yesteryear. There are so many outrageously great musicians in so many genres, it's quite something. Plus, I like the fact that there isn't a crazy drug induced, envelope pushing culture going along with the music. It's just good music that the locals support as much as possible. Maybe I'm just old, but I find it easier to focus on listening to the music in the current Portland environment. The whole sixties scene just took a lot of effort if you wanted to hear music ... and I was young and frisky in those days. Today, it would probably kill me to go out to listen to good music in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I would really have liked to have seen Amy Winehouse put on a musical show. My fear is that her concerts can't live up to her recordings because of her problems with the bottle. But between her, Lady Day, and Nina Simone, I could be happy... I know. None of them are rock and rollers.

Jamie
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Has anyone posted any of these druthers to the website? Because it has been looking rather, well, moribund. I mean, every time I look there has been very little change in the tallies, if any. Not exactly the, uh, liveliest survey ever.

Some of these musicians needn't be brought back in order for their work to continue. Apparently there are those who seem happy to carry on in similar fashion. I expected there to be plenty of young ladies wishing to emulate Katy Perry, for instance (Cher LLoyd, for instance), but I was surprised, when assaulted by an oft-repeated Heineken commercial while watching the US Open, to see someone closely resembling Amy Winehouse in look and sound. This isn't that exactly but similar (she is more prominently featured in the newer version, and some of her mannerisms are more distinctly Winehousesque). Here is Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes with "Love Letter."

Last edited by journeybear; Sep-07-2012 at 10:25am.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...every time I look there has been very little change in the tallies, if any. Not exactly the, uh, liveliest survey ever
    Nostalgia has limited appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    There are so many outrageously great musicians in so many genres, it's quite something.
    I'm with Loretta--too much going on in the present

I guess I'm more interested in hearing bands than in any one individual. My fantasy would be to hear the following bands with the original members--alive, healthy, and in their prime--one more time. Here's my lineup for the Dead Guys Rock Festival:

The Beatles
    The Band
    The Beach Boys
    The Allman Brothers
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
    The Grateful Dead
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    There are so many outrageously great musicians in so many genres, it's quite something.
    I was out one day recently shopping at the local recycled materials market--and heard playing what sounded like...the Davies/kinks...but with an unmistakable American vibe/verancular...twangy guitars, high-lonesome harmonies...imbedded in an edgey, classic sound with spiritual vocals, melodies and harmonies as much like Ray and company as I've heard. It was a long piece, and every time I was "sure" it was the Davies...surprised that I'd never heard this before...an "alt-country" lick came across, and I said, "NAHH!...wait, maybe it's NOT Ray...wait..." When the thing was still going on after about 10 minutes--and I realized it was a live recording, and being played by the local 20s-something merchants...I realized it was proably one of the popular "jam" bands going around today...like Gov't Mule or Widespread or any number...

Still, I'd take a jam with "One-String," Otis Redding, and Bob, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    After much consideration I'd go with Syd Barrett, as long as I was assured that we'd get the pre-madness Barrett.

Barrett is my choice because it's almost like he died twice. Being able to see/hear the pre-madness Barrett would be a double resurrection of sorts.
    Of course if you got the other Syd Barrett he wouldn't talk to you (or anyone else).

How about Joy Division with the late Ian Curtis? I'm not a huge fan, but I've heard that they put on some killer shows.