Thread: What do you play mostly on your E-Mando?

Default What do you play mostly on your E-Mando?

Been quiet in this nook of the 'Cafe lately, so....

What do you play mostly on your electric mandolin?

Most of my time is spent playing blues and blues-rock. Have been playing ZZTop Lagrange lately with a Youtube Backing track. Every once in a while, I'll turn my modeling amp up on the highest distortion setting it has and play some fiddle tunes for fun too...

So what do you play? Jazz, Country, Blues, Rock, Srinivas Indian?
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Default Re: What do you play mostly on your E-Mando?

Hendrix - Voodoo Chile, Wind Cries Mary, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing
    Yank Rachell - Shotgun Blues, Brownsville Blues
    Doors - Roadhouse Blues, Love Me Two Times
    Allman Bros - You Don't Love Me
    Lightnin' Hopkins - Baby Please Don't Go

I play what ever my heart and hands come up with . some times I find a groove and can stay in it for hours and then I never find that groove again . I like music for the creative outlet it allows me and I do not often try to play someone else's music though I am often inspired by other music of all genre's

I run the gamut, everything from blues to Beatles to classical to tv themes.

Blog Entries

I borrowed an 8 string mandocaster for several months. I played the same stuff I play accoustically. I was thinking of buying it but ultimately I returned it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Been a while for me.

I used to play in a band in California with a band leader who wrote 90% of our material. The band was called MahaShakti and we played bajan-inspired tunes. So I did a lot of accent rhythms, riffs, and took a solo once in a while.

I just added emando parts to an original of my own that my wife and I recorded. That was the first time since moving to the UK that I uncased the Fender FM-988. The JBovier 5 string and the Mandobird have yet to get tickled in England.

I'll probably sell the JBovier and the Epi (as well as an EJ sig Strat) in order to finance a new CF mando.

Daniel

Thats some great variety! So cool to see the versatility of these little instruments!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Straight ahead Jazz, 50s variety.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Mostly jazz of various sorts -- based in straight-ahead swing and bebop but also including Latin and Gypsy jazz...a good amount of western swing too. Those are what I'm using it more for now but, through the years, have played almost everything imaginable on the 5-string electric. It's been a very versatile instrument for me.
    Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chinn View Post
    Thats some great variety! So cool to see the versatility of these little instruments!
    Shouldn't be all that surprising. It's a mandolin, after all!

I play just about anything I can think of, want to, like, am inspired by, or dream up on my own. It is my reality interface, after all, the means I use to give physical form to the ideas in my mind. So that may take the shape of rock, blues, pop, country, swing, psychedelic, ambient, folk-rock, reggae, calypso - just about anything, really. Now, sometimes those last three - the softer side - will be better served by the acoustic. And while it may seem more likely that the acoustic will work better for chord-driven songs, that isn't always the case. There are ways to produce solid backup with the emando through the use of reverb, and feedback loops generated by the wah-wah pedal help provide a continuously sustained aural backdrop. The thing is, my involvement with this is so much more recent than the acoustic that it's a lot like having a new toy - just can't get enough of it. Also, the sounds it produces are much more in line with the sounds I hear in my head anyway, and have for so long, that it just makes more sense to play the electric. One exception worth noting, and it surprised me, but for the occasional sitting-in gigs I've done with a reggae band, the acoustic worked better, with a bit of wah-wah. But for the most part I like the variety of sounds I get with the electric, and being able to bend single strings 2-3 frets gives a lot of flexibility to its voice.

BTW, I started with a MandoBird, but have graduated to a Steve Ryder custom build with two humbucking pickups. It's got some growl. Funny thing - the acoustic with a Fishman M100 bridge pickup produces a stronger signal. Go figure!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Herlihy View Post
    Hendrix - Voodoo Chile, Wind Cries Mary, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing
    Yank Rachell - Shotgun Blues, Brownsville Blues
    Doors - Roadhouse Blues, Love Me Two Times
    Allman Bros - You Don't Love Me
    Lightnin' Hopkins - Baby Please Don't Go
    Would love to hear your version of "Baby Please don't go"

I play western swing and old standard swing on my 5-string a/e mando. Currently playing mando and fiddle in 7 piece western swing band..lots of twin fiddle and twin guitar-mando breaks..more fun than shootin' rats at the dump!!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Same here, mostly western swing. No matter how I start or what I start playing, it all ends up going swingy, whether that was my intention or not. Lots of fun trying to play along with the Hot Club of Cowtown and match Whit's licks.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    Would love to hear your version of "Baby Please don't go"
    Don't have a recording but here is a Tabledit file I created to learn the song.

Baby Please Don't Go.tef

I play carnatic. I am shrinivas sir's disciple. here is a link to an improvisational piece i played in a concert. It was recorded with a handycam by my dad. So please excuse the quality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JP9GtGu0hys
    I'd love to hear your comments on this.

16. The following members say thank you to Aravind Bhargav for this post:

Mostly Irish jigs and reels, on an electric octave mando. Occasionally some blues. It doesn't get played as much anymore, since I started guitar

I play western swing and jazz. Mostly the western swing tunes now since I'm playing fiddle and emando in a western swing band. It's a lot of fun working out harmony parts for the emando to play off the guitar melody line.

Quote Originally Posted by Aravind Bhargav View Post
    I play carnatic. I am shrinivas sir's disciple. here is a link to an improvisational piece i played in a concert. It was recorded with a handycam by my dad. So please excuse the quality
    Aravind- I love it! Congratulations on your fantastic performance. Please continue on this path (and regards to your guru).
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Aravind Bhargav View Post
    This is really great.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

When I first got my Schwab I was playing bass in a cover band playing mostly Fela Kuti and Afrobeat horn stuff. The guitarist and I started switching off and I was running the Emando through a Twin w flanger and chorus. Lots and lots of riffing and the occasional King Sunny type leads. The Schwab is a true space ship.

It sat idle a while while I nurtured my bowl back-side. I've gotten re-electrified the last couple years mostly to start playing swing. The Tiny Moore-Jethro "Back to Back" blew my mind.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I play mostly Jazz, ad a little gospel and worship music as well. Miles Davis (I think I like him most of all the great Jazz fathers), Tom Harrell, some standards... the cooler the better.
    Tom
    Who finds a mistake, may it gladly keep

Lead, melody lines on top with five string mandolin.
    Twelve string guitar for the middle.
    Bass guitar for the bottom.

Man... I feel sooooo inadequate. I play rhythm, rhythm and more rhythm... depending on the music we are doing it is e/a mando, octave mando, 4 string hollow body or 4 string solid body. But, I don't seem to have an affinity for lead. Oh well, someone has to be in the background

Searching for the Sound

I play poorly with my acoustic / electric into garage band ... trying to get a song down that my nephews and I put together. Anxiously awaiting the Fender MandoCaster in a month so I can play poorly, but with style....