Thread: Cracked Neck

Default Cracked Neck

There's a crack that runs along the heel, perpendicular to the neck. It runs about a 1/4 inch into the neck but then there is a shallower continuation of the crack that continues faintly just on the finish. It is fairly stable in that the crack does not appear to open or close if I reduce the string tension. In regards to tuning, it seems OK. I bought it second hand at a music store. I assume the "3 day grace period" on the receipt refers to a time period in which I can return the instrument, so that is a possibility. I'd really rather not return it though. Additional information: This may or may not be relevant but there's a bit of a bow in the neck, the bend moves away then back towards the strings as you continue along the neck. So my question is, if this is worth repairing, how should I do it? Or should I just return it? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	91219  

Default Re: Cracked Neck

What kind of mandolin is it? Does it have a truss rod? If it is a low budget instrument, you might be ahead to take it back. The crack is indicative of a neck joint problem, and if it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, it's not going to be a simple project to deal with the neck bow.

Return it and get your money back. The repair could end up costing more than the value of the mandolin.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Looks like a neck joint failure. I would return it if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rroyd View Post
    What kind of mandolin is it? Does it have a truss rod? If it is a low budget instrument, you might be ahead to take it back. The crack is indicative of a neck joint problem, and if it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, it's not going to be a simple project to deal with the neck bow.
    It's an Epiphone MM-30 AE. So yes, I suppose it is low-end. Guess I'll be returning it Thanks for the help everybody. Hopefully they'll believe I'm not the one who caused it, I just didn't notice it when I was looking at it in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by jecc View Post
    I just didn't notice it when I was looking at it in the store.
    OR... presume they will know that they might lose money on it (and street cred) in the long run and maybe they could make it worth your while to keep it by giving you some cash back... or strings, a credit on a layaway. etc. A "campfire" model would be a plus to the collection perhaps? Just because they might have got taken on the deal they made for it doesn't mean you should. -h

A repair to a neck joint failure like that one would prob entail removing the neck, cleaning the joint and regluing. As others noted above, unless the store was going to give it to you free of charge, it will cost in the hundreds of dollars to fix it properly. Also add the warped fretboard and you can prob get a very nice new instrument for less than the repairs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

You could buy a new mandolin of equal or much better quality for the money it would take to properly repair what you have. Take it back if you can.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I lowered the action when I got back home. Detune and then turn the thumbwheels. Is it possible that caused it?

Is it possible that caused it?
    Nope.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger