Thread: Thumbs up to Richard Beard!

Thumbs up Thumbs up to Richard Beard!

Last year I bought a Richard Beard bouzouki used from Charles Johnson. I snapped it up because I just played a friends Beard cittern and loved the sound of it. The woods were the same (spruce top and koa backs and sides) so I went for it. The fact that Charles said that Richard would also cover the instrument under warrantee was also a plus, although I never have needed warrantee service before.

Well, I'm not sure if Richard saw a dime on this transaction, but he stepped right up to the plate when I needed him. I had a top brace pop on the zouk last month. I dropped him an email and he responded back right away. He offered to fix it himself or pay to have it fixed by luthier locally.

I opted to have him do the work and shipped him the instrument. He kept me updated on the progress and answered my questions when I had them. I just got the bouzouki back today. It is actually in better shape than when I first bought it.

I want to publicly thank Richard for his outstanding customer service (especially when the customer was not a direct customer!). For all of you considering Octives, Bouzoukis, Mandolas, etc., I couldn't recommend Richard more highly.

Thanks!

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Default Re: Thumbs up to Richard Beard!

I'll second that endorsement. I've had three of Richard's instruments( a bouzouki, a cittern and an Octave mandolin) and they were all outstanding - I still use a Beard Octave Mandolin as my primary instrument.. Richard has always been a pleasure to work with while he's building an instrument and his customer service is outstanding. Richard also makes dulcimers and guitars.

This is confirmation of my decision: I have an OM ordered from Richard Beard-due in Oct or Nov.and I am excited more than I can stand. I was swayed by comments on this forum of Beard's quality work and reputation and he is close to my digs. So thanks for the post, Pete; and I hope you enjoy your find. And thanks Eddie for your comments-you are one of the ones that helped me decide. I'll post more when I get it.

I also recently purchased a remarkable OM from Richard Beard- Kentucky walnut body with cedar top beauty that plays and sounds beautifully even as a new instrument. The fit and finish of the OM is impeccable. I have the good fortune of living fairly close to Richard so I auditioned the OM at his shop in North Carolina. He also makes excellent mountain dulcimers, bouzoukis, and an occasional guitar. Being a talented Celtic session player and a founder and Sunday DJ of the excellent NC public radio station, Richard brings a deep understanding of what goes into the sound of a great Celtic instrument.

Richard is good people and I recommend him without reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    Last year I bought a Richard Beard bouzouki used from Charles Johnson. I snapped it up because I just played a friend's Beard cittern and loved the sound of it. The woods were the same (spruce top and koa backs and sides) so I went for it.
    I have a spruce/koa cittern of Richard's that I bought used six or seven years ago. It looks gorgeous and sounds phenomenal! I haven't played many other citterns, but I've never played one I liked better.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories