Thread: Strings Move Apart When I Fret Up The Neck. Why?

Default Strings Move Apart When I Fret Up The Neck. Why?

I got a new mandolin and the 2 D and 2 G strings move apart when I fret, primarily up the neck. My other mandolins never did this. This one has a radiused fingerboard, which my others don't have. I'm hoping this is just a set-up issue, such as the bridge or something not being adjusted correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Lance

Carpe Mandolinium

Default Re: Strings Move Apart When I Fret Up The Neck. Why?

Going from a flat board to a radiused one, many find that they need to adjust their fingering mechanism just a tiny, tiny bit so that the fingertips are coming down onto the strings as close as possible to perpendicular to the fingerboard, which, on the bass side, is tilted an itsy-bitsy bit away from your left hand. The change comes easily and more or less naturally on the higher strings and lower frets, but as you move up the fingerboard and the strings get ever-so-slightly further apart, you may need to think about it. Usually it really is a *tiny* difference, so just being aware of it may be enough that you'll find yourself doing it. If you don't make this adjustment you can inadvertently push the strings apart with your fingers; hence, the issue you've found. I'd guess that the situation you're encountering is a bit worse when using your third and fourth fingers(?)
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

3. The following members say thank you to John McCoy for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I've had that happen on G's because they were set too close to the neck edge and one would slip over the end of the fret, but that's not a "radius" issue. But the D's??

Have you tried measuring the inter-string spacing with a micrometer, at both the nut and the saddle, to compare your various instruments?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I would blame it on your technique, if it appears that the strings are properly spaced compared to your other mandolins. Perhaps you should work on bringing your fretting fingers straight down on the strings and fretboard. Most people make the transition easily from flat to arched fretboard.

Another possible cause might be that your mandolin is poorly set up, or never set up if you purchased it mail order. Actually this is the most likely cause. A poorly set up, or un-set up instrument is a nightmare to play and will never sound right. I would guess that your nut and bridge have never been adjusted after leaving the factory. What you are esperiencing just shouldn['t happen on a well-adjusted instrument.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
    Going from a flat board to a radiused one, many find that they need to adjust their fingering mechanism just a tiny, tiny bit... I'd guess that the situation you're encountering is a bit worse when using your third and fourth fingers(?)
    Yes, it is worse with the third and fourth fingers. I have also learned to adjust my fingering so that it doesn't happen, but didn't know if it was because of being radiused or not setup properly. Sounds like it is because of being radiused and my technique. Thanks!

Lance

This can happen when the bridge slots are too far apart...somewhere here on the Cafe there is a post that shows what distance is preferred at the bridge, I`m sure you can locate it....I think it was posted by Frank Ford.....Pressing down too hard on the strings can also cause this and worn frets too....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassWarehouse View Post
    I got a new mandolin...
    Lance,
    Did you find yours local? Not a very large turnover of showroom stock over here to try out.

Willie, I haven't been able to find that post. It's possible that is what is causing it. I will keep looking for that post, and if you happen to find it, please let me know.

Rodney, not much of a selection in the Effingham area, is there? I ordered mine from the builder and had it slightly customized (inlays). Do you play bluegrass? I'll be having a bluegrass jam before too long.

Lance

I just play with Christ's Church Band over on Veterans Drive. (mostly chords and slow melody playing) We are playing "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day in the morning services. The clean version of course Arthritis and poor memory slows me down too much for bluegrass.
    I did buy my first Fender at Samuel Music. It was priced $12.00 higher than internet prices. But internet ones had an $11.00 shipping fee you had to add. So order one and save a dollar, then wait. Or drive to town, pick it up and play.... No brainer.
    Chestnut Family Music sold a Breedlove a while back. Other than that, mostly low priced starters is all that's being stocked.

Lance...I searched for that post for quite some time and wasn`t able to find it either....

Surely someone on here can show a bridge saddle with the recommended slot measurements between strings....I thought I had just seen it a few days ago but went back and also tried the search with no luck....

One thing you might want to do is check the spacing at the nut of all the strings and compare those to whats at the bridge saddle, strings run pretty close to the same space at both of them....I do have a book that might give the spacings, if I find it I`ll post it for you or send you a PM....

If I find it I`ll be sure to get back to you....always glad to help in any way I can....

Willie

Lance....I looked at a book by Roger Siminoff and he shows the bridge slots, he don`t give any dimentions so I measured them and here is what I see, this is not anything official but it is what I found...

The E and A strings appear to be 3/16ths of an inch apart and the D and G strings seem to be 1/8th of an inch apart, that is from center to center...I checked two of my mandolins and they appear to be the same distance as Rogers book....

I`m sure if some builders find these not to be accurate they will post and offer their opinions....

good luck.....Willie

I have the same issue with my Flatiron pancake...it's probably just string spacing at the bridge being a tiny bit too wide. Every time I pick up the Flatiron I'm reminded that I need to get it fixed, but then I just kind of get used to it/work around it, then forget about it for a while. I mostly play my Silverangel econo now. So, now I'm reminded to try to get the Flatiron in to my guy this week...thanks! (If not string spacing, then technique adjustment is probably the answer)...
    Chuck

Thanks Willie! I'll have to check out what mine measure. I appreciate you looking that up!

Lance

Actually I have the same issue with my dulcimer(s). Usually it's that the two melody strings will want to crowd together, rather than separate a great deal. Since it happens only occasionally, and only on the 2 dulci's with the lower action, I'll go with operator error. If I re-position my finger, instead of sliding to the next fret position, it usually corrects itself.
    Connie

Sometimes with new mandolins that are inexpensive (under $500) it can be an issue with the strings. They tend to put really light strings on. That and finger board technique will cause this. I would suggest changing the strings to J-73 or J-74 D'Addarios first...
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

They didn't feel like light gauge strings, but that is an idea. I'll have to try that as well. Thanks for the idea!

Lance