Thread: Krishot Mandolin Comparison

Post Krishot Mandolin Comparison

Recently had the chance to have three F5 Krishot mandolin's together - a 2002 Englemann/Maple, a 2003 Adirondack/Maple and a 2004 Sitka/Maple. Just curious as to which one is the best... http://youtu.be/swm8CGqZpUc Great value in a mandolin. Bryan does a nice job of comparing these.

Default Re: Krishot Mandolin Comparison

Great video! I was surprised how much I liked the Sitka to tell you the truth. All 3 sound great to me. Now hand over that Sitka! LOL That's the one for me.
    Shawn Brock
    Free Mandolin and Guitar Lessons
    https://www.youtube.com/shawnbrockmusic
    www.shawnbrock.com

I've only heard a couple of Krishot mandolins over here in the UK,but both were excellent.They're superbly built to a very high standard. Which one is the best - for you or for me ?. The only answer is the one that's the 'best' for you. I'd be pleased with either of those 3,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Eduard Kristufeks mandolins are really nice and the price is absolutely right. It should be noted, that he builds (at least some of) his instruments with an x-bracing pattern. His newer mandos have a different logo. Maybe itīs a design feature, maybe itīs a different built style. Iīve seen "The Garnet" inlayed. They look different. I have liked these kind of Krishots quite a bit: http://www.krishot.com/ekrishot/fotky/garnet1.jpg; http://www.krishot.com/ekrishot/ennews.php
    Olaf

I'm trying to track down anyone selling one of these. The Old Town Pickin Parlor hasn't had one in a long time and "don't know when they will get one again." Lets just go ahead and talk about the price, everyone says what a great deal they are, but never states the price. According to Old Town, the price is about 1900 for an A, and $3400 for an F. Now that's a hot deal! The thing about these mandolins is they have a lot of depth, but don't get muddy. Now that's the trick that makes a good mandolin to me. Who knows, maybe I'll just contact him and see about ordering. The price may even be less if your not going through a dealer.
    Shawn Brock
    www.shawnbrock.com

I really like the Sitka top as well sounds really good.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrock View Post
    I'm trying to track down anyone selling one of these. The Old Town Pickin Parlor hasn't had one in a long time and "don't know when they will get one again." Lets just go ahead and talk about the price, everyone says what a great deal they are, but never states the price. According to Old Town, the price is about 1900 for an A, and $3400 for an F. Now that's a hot deal! The thing about these mandolins is they have a lot of depth, but don't get muddy. Now that's the trick that makes a good mandolin to me. Who knows, maybe I'll just contact him and see about ordering. The price may even be less if your not going through a dealer.
    I know that Antony Hannigan (Music Moose, Hickory Project etc.: www.myspace.com/anthonyhannigan, http://www.hickoryproject.com/) has one (has a Gilchrist also but travelled to Europe with his Krishot) and thinks they are great. If I do remember right from a conversation we had, he knows Eduard Kristufek and sort of sells these mandolins or at least he can establish contact. I thought he was into selling his and getting a new one. Check him out.

Also Byron Berline (you know: Bill Monroe, Country Gazette, Rolling Stones etc.) selles/sold them through his shop in Guthrie Oklahoma (http://doublestop.com/).

As for the price, I think you are right with your estimate. And thatīs a great deal for this kind of mando.
    Olaf

The second mandolin in the video is for sale. Contact me and I'll give you his information. Tim tmcgaughy at juno doc com

Wow, these seem to be really consistent on tone, response and appearance. I've heard a lot of locals there play Krishots, may be why we don't see them too often. I'd like to see some of these high end Czech instruments gain notoriety because many of them are very good instruments.

I think you did mighty fine Tim!

Adrian Minarovic

I believe the price for F will be a bit higher than $3400, but not much. He certainly asks a bit less than other well known CZ builders like Prucha or Capek. Perhaps if bought directly from him and taken on the plane to US (without paying taxes or customs) will get you close to that. I heard he used to bring them personally to US and that would bypass customs (in most cases) and keep the price low.
    PS: I own a '96 Krishot (tonebars, somewhat higher "gothic" arching of the era) and it is very strong sounding instrument that cuts extremely well (I was even offered 3000EUR to sell it, I refused as that amount would certainly buy a new one). Later he used x bracing a lot and often slightly larger f holes than normal that together produced distinctively woodier sound. I don't know what he uses now, but trend is towards tonebars in the world so he probably uses them more. Some of the newer seemed a bit stiff (tight) but they could be played relly hard and were very even sounding.
    Adrian

Hey Tim, I emailed you yesterday. Let me know if the mandolin is still up for sale.
    Shawn Brock
    www.shawnbrock.com

Great video, thanks. I just stumbled over it via searching for Krishot reviews.

I have a Garnet F which Eda Kristufek built for me in 2009. I had heard and played the Garnet F prototype at a jam session and then immediatly decided to expand my budget for the long needed good sounding factory built mandolin by quite a factor and ordered a black Garnet F. I never regretted this step!

It has mahogany neck, sides and back. And it has X-bracing. But the f-holes are the same size as the ones in my old Kentucky KM250. The Garnet F has a very rich bass and a impressive punch. It can really bark ;-) And besides having this woody sound I love so well, it is the loudest mandolin I have ever heard (well here in Europe I did not hear too many) and it has a very good projection. No problem to be heard besides a loud guitar r banjo, no problem to use a clip on mic on a loud stage with electric guitars and drums.

The name comes from the gem garnet. The headstock even holds a small garnet in the flower pot. Eda lives near Prague which is famous for Bohemian garnets.

I have heard that Eda now mainly builds this model.

Krishot mandolins are now available in the UK, sorry I don't ship to the US. I am very impressed by them.

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...mandolins.html
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I think you did mighty fine Tim!
    Thanks Shaun. Believe it or not I just came back to this post after 5 years and I still love my Krishot and it sounds and plays better than ever.

Tim McGaughy
    Amarillo, TX

16. The following members say thank you to tmcgaughy for this post:

I preferred the Adi sound I guess like my Adi topped Ellis. All three are really strong. Issue of taste, for me.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I have been looking for a Krishot. They're not easy to come buy. Maybe I'll place a WTB post in the classifieds.

Sent Eduard (Eda) Kristufek an email directly via his website, he'll always answers and maybe you can work out a deal.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    I have been looking for a Krishot. They're not easy to come buy. Maybe I'll place a WTB post in the classifieds.
    Opportunity knocks: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/111904#111904
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I know owner of that mandolin and I played it few times and I can say it is one of the best of recent Krishots. It's got x-brace under flatish arch and has really fast and loud attack of tone - mor emodern than traditional but excellent for BG. Great chop as well.
    Interesting is back made of curly alder if I recall correctly.
    Adrian

22. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Eda made this mandolin (he actually made two) just before he finished my F5, which is a great mandolin, the looks (except for the scroll ;-) and sound from the video are very much comparable, I totally agree with HoGo.

The one who's buying this one won't regret it!