Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual IBMA Awards Thread

Default Annual IBMA Awards Thread

Have we had one this year? I'm watching them live but I missed the mando award. Who won?

Default Re: Annual IBMA Awards Thread

Adam Steffey

Who was nominated?

The usuals as I recall. How many times does this make for Steffey? And I love Doc as much as anybody, but guitar player of the year??? For what exactly?? I was happy to see the Gibson Brothers win for Entertainer of the Year AND Gospel Song. Singing As we Rise written by Joe Newberry is a simply wonderful song. And Junior Sisk won for best album and song. It seems that the voters had a slightly more traditional bend this year.

I can certainly do without Steffey but great for Junior Sisk,one of my favs and hooray for Joe Newberry.

Steffy is really good, but why keep giving it to the same guy?

Big congrats to my good friend Doyle Lawson, for being inducted into the IBMA Hall of Fame!!! WAY WAY past due IMO!!!
    Molon Labe

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Anyone else here catch the live webcast on Bluegrass Today? The sound and lighting were pretty bad, but it was great to actually get to see the show. FWIW I thought Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen tore it up! I also see that Adam Steffey was playing some sort of new F-style mando, think it was a Northfield.

As for the awards they were pretty predictable as always.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    Anyone else here catch the live webcast on Bluegrass Today? The sound and lighting were pretty bad, but it was great to actually get to see the show. FWIW I thought Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen tore it up! I also see that Adam Steffey was playing some sort of new F-style mando, think it was a Northfield.

As for the awards they were pretty predictable as always.
    I caught the end of it on the way home from an open mic night. I heard the Entertainer of the Year award, Steve Martin's tribute to Earl Scruggs, and the last 2 songs played on stage. I was rooting for Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers to win and really enjoyed the live pickin' too.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

I didn't watch the award show but I do live in Nashville and went to see some of the free showcases down on Broadway on Tuesday night. The best was seeing the Del McCoury Band at Robert's Western World (my favorite honky tonk in town) with special guests Sam Bush, Doyle ("Dole") Lawson, and Michael Cleveland. As I was walking out the back entrance to go next door and see Town Mountain (my favorite new BG band) I passed right by Steve Martin as he was going in to hang out with the band.

It is sad that IBMA is moving to Raleigh because these kinds of nights are just not going to happen there, Nashville is loaded with real-deal bluegrass musicians who can come out for stuff like this and Raleigh will not be able to match up.

Sigh, I think I need to plan a trip to Nashville.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested in hearing what attendance was like. Read a comment online somewhere that it appeared to be down again from the previous year--making that... a lot of years in a row down. The move out of Nashville has been given the spin treatment but I can't believe anyone thinks this is a sign of growth and prosperity for the organization. I'm not rooting against them, but it seems they've fallen on hard times. Lots of red ink that hasn't yet stopped flowing. I wish them well.

It's always subjective, but IMHO there are only a few grassers who could get entertainer of the year; Steve Martin & SCR, or Mountain Heart. They actually "entertain" with more than just "banjo kickoff, verse/chorus, fiddle, verse/chorus, mandolin, verse/chorus,banjo ending, capo change, mumble about the great crowd, etc.."

Top vocalist, there's no one in the same category as J Daley and R Moore. I love a good baritone, but Charlie Waller is gone, and everyone today wants to sing 2 keys higher than they're capable.

But, I still love grass!

Bob
    re simmers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I can certainly do without Steffey but great for Junior Sisk,one of my favs and hooray for Joe Newberry.
    Thanks Mike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Steffey View Post
    Thanks Mike!!
    Not denying obvious talent, just that my tastes run in a different direction. Certainly didn't mean it as a slag.

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Too funny!!!

Is Mountain Heart NOT considered bluegrass? I'm trying to understand why they weren't even nominated for entertainer of the year.

Considering the very few recordings or appearances of some of the nominees..........what was the criteria for nomination (all categories)? If we're reaching back for sentimental reasons, why not nominate Tom Gray for bass player? I heard him several times this past year. Wow! He is still in the top 4 or 5, if not the top 2. (no offense to Marshall Wilborn, the other of the top 2).

Bob

PS - Congrats to Adam Steffey, who somehow gets that same deep, big, woody sound out of every mandolin with his phenomonal right hand.
    re simmers

Simmers, please accept my remarks here as my personal opinion. Mountain Heart is really much closer to rock music & farther from Bluegrass, especially traditional Bluegrass. I had the opportunity to see them in Texas, where they followed Peter Rowan, & Tony Rice w/
    Tim O'Brien playing fiddle & singing harmony & Billy Bright on mandolin. The contrast was huge. Mountain Heart was loud with little in the way of dynamics. To be honest we watched a few tunes & left, & then again Peter R & Tony with Tim would be a very hard act to follow. But then that's the way I like my music. & I did buy every Lynrd Skynrd album back in the day.....

Doc, it's been 2 yrs since I saw Mt Heart at Gettysburg. They played 2 shows on stage and one at the workshop tent and they were spell-binding, but they were grass. I didn't realize they went that far over the line.
    re simmers

I have been saying on here for years that bluegrass is going the way country music went, too many promoters wanting to get rich and advertising everything as "Bluegrass" and what better place to do this than IBMA, real die hard bluegrassers are tired of the way this is heading, I can only speak for my self but that is what I think the problem is....

Why would a good band need to get a high rated movie star to play banjo for them? To get some publicity of course, Steve Martin is a good banjo played but how can he flourish at both careers at the same time? how long will he play with that band? I wonder....

Willie

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

To be fair, I believe that the movie star got a good bluegrass to play with him and he used to hang with the old Nitty Gritty Dirt band back before they went to Gnashville and were basically playing rootsy acoustic music. Not that I don't believe that any of what you say may happen but in this case I trust the integrity of Steve Martin. Perhaps he is doing more to raise the public's awareness of bluegrass music far more than the IBMA is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Steve Martin. Perhaps he is doing more to raise the public's awareness of bluegrass music far more than the IBMA is.
    Unfortunately I think this is likely true. IBMA presents to the choir, but nobody outside the BGbubble ever heard of IBMA.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, i've not attended a Nashville IBMA,so i can't speak from experience. As Scott implies,the Nashville IBMA Festival has been loosing attendees for a while now.I certainly know that some of the builders quit years back because of the high cost of setting up a booth.
    I did however attend the IBMA Festival in Owensboro,KY back in '92 & thought that it was as good as it could ever be. A relatively small venue with a superb trade show & lots of Bluegrass musicians buzzing around. In the evening,the general gatherings in the hospitality suites was like Bluegrass heaven. I can only hope that maybe the proposed move to Raleigh NC will provide more focus on the music /musicians than the actual venue,& again hopefully,the costs might come down a bit & attract the builders back.
    Over here in the UK i'm too far away from the coal face to understand 'absolutely' what's going on,but i think that the IBMA maybe tried too hard to promote Bluegrass for financial reasons,rather than for the benefit of the music/musicians themselves.
    Meanwhile congrats. to Adam Steffey on winning once again - i really must try to figure out that 'run down' in ''Green's Fees'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

So I take it the relocation is a cost-cutting measure, correct? If that's so then I think it's a good thing. While I like Nashville for what it represents, putting the event into an area that has a lower cost structure and possibly boosting that area's economy sounds like a win-win situation.

I don't know about attendance, but sounds like it's been going the wrong way and perhaps next year I'll try to find a way to go and boost it by 1!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

You could be right Mike about them wanting to give bluegrass a shot in the arm but there is also the thought that after those stars have lost there drawing power they seem to go to another form of music to get some bookings, a lot of the Nashville regulars are not as popular as they were in days past so they are calling their music bluegrass, Not that it isn`t good music its just that when bluegrass needed a shot in the arm they were not to be found, only doing country or pop music...Quite a few of them are recording bluegrass CD`s now days and hope to get bookings on bluegrass festivals...That is the take I have anyway, could be a little of both, I`m sure some of them are really bluegrass lovers but found that there was more money to be made in country or pop music....

Don`t feel bad, Adam steffy got on me one day for posting that I couldn`t hear any melody in a song that he was playing, he is still one of the best but I have to agree that maybe the awards should be passed around a little bit and only let a picker win so many times, like three....

Willie

27. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post: