Thread: Reputation IS currency. MC Classifieds

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Reputation IS currency. MC Classifieds

I would suggest before anyone comments on the topic thread, they view the entire video, but this fascinating lecture by Rachel Botsman addresses some profound ideas on relationships, reputation, and economic value that I think explains the success of the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds. We really have an unprecedented and effective opportunity to exchange our wares here, and much of what she has to say addresses why.

It's fair to say that those who leave a positive trail of transactions and participate in the MC community probably get a better price for their goods, just as an eBay seller's score is a marketable benefit.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

garded

Default Re: Reputation IS currency. MC Classifieds

I watched that a while back too Ted. Actually I watch the TED talks every chance I get. It's the most hopeful (for me) thing I watch.

What was fascinating about her talk was the common sense of it. You can see how this equates when you see something on ebay that's a great deal, but the seller has either no history, or very little. And the deal just sits there.

The other thing that was very interesting is how to keep your "rep currency" with you as you go. And how that technology is going to evolve. There are so many problems that could be solved if it wasn't for the fact it takes some transparency to do this, and you would think that could just open you up to getting your "rep" hijacked by some unscrupulous net thieves.

I do live, like so many others on the Cafe, by my rep. And if not for the Cafe, I'd not have the rep capital I do have. I'm proud to be a part of a community that through vision and vigilance is such a haven for all of us.