Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about western swing

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

Default Re: How about western swing

Dave Shapireu plays emando in West of Next, a Sacramento based western swing band. NFI, but Dave is my mandolin teacher.

Here's their website:

http://westofnext.com/

I realize this is an old thread, but i've recently discovered a great video on youtube of Merle Haggard leading some of the Texas Playboys in an 8 minute 24 second tour-de-force medley that aired after Bob Wills' death. Go watch it now, it'll be the best spent >10 min of your life:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbTJ8gDAvn8

It includes Tiny Moore on his 5-string Bigsby and an interesting-looking electric violin, with no f-holes and with a volume dial. Anybody know more about that?

There's a great dual-mando solo in "rolie polie" at about the 5:00min mark. But i'm not sure who the other player is, anybody?

Its Johnny Gimble. Tiny is playing a Jay Roberts 5 string. He used to sell those from his Music store in Sacramento and I bought one.

Thanks for that video, I hadn't seen it.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Its Johnny Gimble. Tiny is playing a Jay Roberts 5 string. He used to sell those from his Music store in Sacramento and I bought one.

Thanks for that video, I hadn't seen it.
    Thought it might be Gimble, great to see the two of them trading licks. Any idea on the third fiddle?

There's also a whole concert up , "the last ever concert", after the death of pianist Al Stricklin, in 1986. I will say that that '76 show is a little more on fire (and there is a substantially different line up), but there's plenty to love in this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jglq9...A3651F6C3183C4

Third fiddle is probably Joe Holly as he is left handed. I haven't seen pics of Joe so I'm not sure, but that is my guess.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by notneils View Post
    It includes Tiny Moore on his 5-string Bigsby and an interesting-looking electric violin, with no f-holes and with a volume dial. Anybody know more about that?

I think it is a National Electric Violin, which is also called a VioLetric. As far as I know, they all feature a single volume knob and except for the very early ones, they don't have any f-holes. I've only seen them in brown and blonde colors and never in a reddish colored one but that might be the quality of the video. They also have a large single pick up under the bridge but it is hard to tell from that video.

Here is a picture of one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	violectric_2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	109075

7. The following members say thank you to Django Fret for this post:

Blog Entries

One of the Asleep at the Wheel albums has Marty Stuart on an electric, if I am not mistaken.

Going on more than several 12 hour work days in a row so I could be sooooooo mistaken.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Django Fret View Post
    I think it is a National Electric Violin, which is also called a VioLetric. As far as I know, they all feature a single volume knob and except for the very early ones, they don't have any f-holes. I've only seen them in brown and blonde colors and never in a reddish colored one but that might be the quality of the video. They also have a large single pick up under the bridge but it is hard to tell from that video.
    Thanks, paused and zoomed on that video, best i could, and i'm pretty sure you're right. Dang, that's a hot fiddle. I'm not sure i've ever heard another fiddle with a magnetic p/u. I want one. Or rather, i want my daughter to want one since she plays and i don't. But she poo-pooed it (she's all fancy and classical these days, so not the tone she's going for).

Thanks, paused and zoomed on that video, best i could, and i'm pretty sure you're right. Dang, that's a hot fiddle. I'm not sure i've ever heard another fiddle with a magnetic p/u. I want one. Or rather, i want my daughter to want one since she plays and i don't. But she poo-pooed it (she's all fancy and classical these days, so not the tone she's going for).
    NotNeils, I don't know if this would help convince your daughter to play one, but you might want to show her this advertisement for the National Violin. It features some testimonials from a couple of classical players and Stuff Smith, the great swing fiddle player who was one of the first to play electric.

Name:	smith.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	109505

11. The following members say thank you to Django Fret for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Django Fret View Post
    NotNeils, I don't know if this would help convince your daughter to play one, but you might want to show her this advertisement for the National Violin. It features some testimonials from a couple of classical players and Stuff Smith, the great swing fiddle player who was one of the first to play electric.

Name:	smith.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	109505
    Thanks, i started googling around looking for info on these instruments and i'd seen that. I feel like Mr. Stuff might scare her right off We had such a time tying to get a decent amplified sound out of her fiddle, though, that if she goes back to needing amplification she might be game to try magnetic.

What i couldn't find googling around, though, is what these sell for (which tells me that there don't seem to be a lot of them!) Interesting that fiddlers/violinists have largely eschewed magnetic for piezo, given how dang fussy they are!

What i couldn't find googling around, though, is what these sell for (which tells me that there don't seem to be a lot of them!) Interesting that fiddlers/violinists have largely eschewed magnetic for piezo, given how dang fussy they are!
    I have only seen a few of them over the years and they seem to range in prices to around $750 for ones needing repairs, to around $1,500-2,000 for ones in playable condition and up to $4,000 for ones in perfect condition. Buying one brand new in 1938 would have set you back around $250 and that came with a case!

Isaac Eicher plays with the Tulsa Playboys. The next show is January 10th at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. February 15th in Canton, Texas. The CD is coming very soon, although I played most of the mando parts on the recording except for the solo on Fat Boy Rag.

My chosen solution for amplified fiddle is a clip-on condensor mic (DPA 4099v.) Its as transparent a sound as you can get on a potentially loud stage. I run that either directly into a phantom powered board or my Acoustic Image amp. I've used it in a variety of situations and that is the best, cleanest sound I've ever gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    My chosen solution for amplified fiddle is a clip-on condensor mic (DPA 4099v.) Its as transparent a sound as you can get on a potentially loud stage. I run that either directly into a phantom powered board or my Acoustic Image amp. I've used it in a variety of situations and that is the best, cleanest sound I've ever gotten.
    Thanks. We went for a cheaper piezo pickup (Fishman).... but then found it necessary to get a pre-amp & a better amp to compensate. She wasn't going for much of a natural tone, which was helpful, but getting GOOD tone was still a struggle. I will file this recommendation away for the if/when she goes back to amplification.

My solution was this fiddle

http://www.acousticelectricstrings.c...c4strings.html

The inexpensive one was 600. No need for special amp or preamp. Sounds great just like it is. My amp is my electric Mando amp, a Quilter MicroPro 8.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Every time I visit Texas, I go to see Paul Glasse. He is a killer mandolin player. His usual thursday night gig in Austin with the Lone Star Swing Band also features Rick McRae (George Strait's Ace in the Hole Band)on guitar....& one of the finest anywhere, anytime. Paul is a master of the instrument and plays an Monteleone A and a Michael Stevens (built Junior Brown's Git-Steel - http://www.stevensguitars.com/models/mandolin/), Paul Glasse model. Always, every time, beautiful playing & beautiful tone. There are a few youtube videos of Paul Glasse playing with Robert Bowlin...they are something special.

Here is a clip with two mandolin players performing in Al Dressen's Super Swing Revue. Jason Roberts is listed in the description but don't know who the other player is but both sound pretty good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OljQj3-orvE

those are your two greatest e-mando monsters right there, Jason Roberts and Paul Glasse! I'm pretty sure the tune is Johnny Gimble's "Mandolopin'". Thanks for posting this!

That's also Rick McRae on the tele taking the break after Paul. Lots of talent on that stage!

I've just got myself a copy of the "Tiffany Transcriptions" set by Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys. Hundreds of selections recorded in '47/48 to serve as "live" broadcasts on far-flung stations. The songs are longer than the studio recordings, which were short to fit on 78s, and the playing is a bit wilder & unhinged.

I mention this here because Tiny Moore is all over these performances on electric mando playing wild, crazy stuff. Everybody who likes that sort of thing should get your hands on this collection! Lots to be said for ALL the musicians, of course, the but electric strings on this collection are pretty much rock and or roll in it's earliest, primitive form. Amazing stuff.