Thread: Blueridge Tenor Guitars

Default Blueridge Tenor Guitars

I know this guitar has been talked about here before but wanted to reiterate what a great deal these are. I got a used one for $300 and put .48, .036, .024, .015(GDAE) strings on it. Great tone, sustain, great fun and a great stretch for us fiddle/mandolin players.

2. The following members say thank you to mjb128wv for this post:

Default Re: Blueridge Tenor Guitars

Hey mjb, I feel the same way about my Blueridge tenor. I just got back from playing a gig with mine, and I have to add "great volume" to your list.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

4. The following members say thank you to SGraham for this post:

I'll add my plaudits for the Blueridge BR 40T which I took delivery on just a few weeks ago. It sounded very mellow and loud with the original CGDA string gauges (.010, .014, .022W, .032W). I struggled with transposing for a while, then gave in to practicality and converted it to GDAE (John Pearse 450L's, .013, .020, .030, .042) with a little filing of the nut grooves.

At first, I thought its sound suffered a little from lowering the pitch, but as my ears have become more accustomed to the sound I've come to enjoy the deeper voice.

I bought this guitar to increase my exposure to the swing tunes I had been learning on the mandolin and recover some of the "reach" I had lost over the last 12 years as my 6-string guitars languished in their cases and the mando took over. The first time I worked out an arrangement of "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" I knew it was all good. I'm having to re-think my solo's, though, since the stretch for notes is harder.

As a bonus, I can play the same arrangement on my mandolin (and improvise much easier) and the tenor chords have expanded my chord work on the mando. Everybody wins!
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

I just ordered a K&K Twin Spot internal for mine - gonna play it through a Zoom A2. Looking forward to it. I too have found tenor a great "cross training" tool for mandolin - which seems much easier after a good set of fiddle tunes on the tenor.