Thread: Cavaquinho Joao Batista Classico de faia

Default Cavaquinho Joao Batista Classico de faia

I'm going to buy a Joao Batista cavaquinho this month in Sao Paulo. I live in Holland and I read that jacarandá is used in some instruments. Some is called Jacarandá de Bahia (a.k.a. Brazil Rosewood) In Holland, and I presume in other countries also, it is not allowed to trade. I don't wan't to risk any problems at the douane so I'm going to buy de Classico fe faia, wich is out of maple. See:
    http://www.jbinstrumentos.com.br/pro...oria=89&tipo=5

My question is: does anybody has experience with buying instrument from Brasil wich are made out of Jacarandá (rosewood) and is all rosewood used in Brasil "wrong" rosewood? Is it possible that builders in Brasil are using this wood, even if this is forbidden and they are the 'bigger' luthiers who ship their instruments all over the world?

Default Re: Cavaquinho Joao Batista Classico de faia

I have heard of some luthiers who bought logs of BRW long ago. i would be very careful about it in any case. I guess it depends on your customs officials in your country and how strict they are. Here in the US i think it may vary.

I have heard in general that many of the players, at least of bandolim, actually prefer maple for the tone and volume they get and acoustically it projects more, to their ears than rosewood. I am not sure how the cavaquinho players feel and what they prefer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

sander 

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for the quick response and information! I think indeed that maple has a better tone when your playing acoustic. And it's also safer to bring to Holland. It's a lot of money if you have to leave it at the customs officials. I know some cavaco players with de maple model and I like the tone. It has more middle frequenties.

What actually happens if the instrument is confiscated? Do you just forfeit it? Fine? Jail? All of the above?

I just contacted a Brazilian luthier about a viola tenor and he said it wouldn't be a problem importing it. But something tells me otherwise.