Thread: Pickup Options for Reso-Mando

Default Pickup Options for Reso-Mando

So I've seen and played a few resonator mandolins and am intrigued. However, an equal amount of my playing is acoustic and plugged in. Not yet aware of any AE reso models. I've added p'ups to many straight acoustic instruments, but never to a reso.

I know that a mic is overall probably the best way to go, but for now I'm asking about pickups for a resonator mando. I've seen the highlander (close to ~$ 300 - 400 USD) and the hot plate/slim-line (~$200 USD).

Anyone have experience with adding a pickup to a resonator? Or particular experience with certain brands of reso mandos? Thanks.

Default Re: Pickup Options for Reso-Mando

National RM-1 with the hot plate option. You will know eternal bliss.

Hubba, hubba! Dear Lord, she's a beauty!!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

There are pickups made for the reso guitars, same cone..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Hot Plate on a RM-1 is the cool way to go, but a Lace Dobro Sensor would probably work as a retrofit, if a bit wider than needed. It's only around $85 so it's one of the least expensive options.

I put one on a National Radiotone Bendaway a few years ago, and it sounded good... although as a single coil, it does buzz a little if you get it too close to a computer or other hot EM source. I ran the cord through the soundhole into a jack installed in the side, but you could just cheat the wire around the coverplate and mount the jack on the tailpiece if you don't want a permanent installation.

I like magnetic pickups on resonators if you're not going to use a clip-on mic (which would be my first choice), since they warm up the tone and don't sound too harsh, on what is already a fairly bright-sounding instrument. Contact pickups on resonator cones set my teeth on edge.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I've successfully used a K&K fitted to the biscuit on one reso I had and I use a Microvox powered condenser mic with a simple mini clamp I fashioned myself on my current RM-1 which sounds excellent.

Thanks everyone for the info!

Blog Entries

Unless you guys are talking about recording, you must be playiing some big venues. Good on you.

Most of the places I play there is no point to amplifying the RM-1. In fact, the few times they did, they had to pot me way down.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

This is a very timely thread, because Topher Gayle is starting to build a Mandonator for me. We just had a conversation about pickup options for it, and I was intrigued by the National Hot Plate. However a review I saw mentioned some deterioration of the acoustic sound. That's just one person's opinion, and of course subjective, but it's something I haven't resolved. Has anyone with the Hot Plate noticed any difference in acoustic quality with and without the Hot Plate?

The Highlander mentioned in the OP's post looks like a great option, as well. Anyone using one of those (besides Mark Knopfler)?

My Mandonators use the spider bridge arrangement, as opposed to the biscuit bridge (which most other reso-mandos use). They are very different, and so some of the pickups are very different. So far:

The McIntyre Feather was very easy to install but had very faint output levels, too faint even for my ParaCoustic DI to boost acceptably. I suspected a faulty device, and sent it back for rework, but the repaired unit (which they said wasn't all that bad) was about the same. I don't know if this is a mismatch between the spider configuration or what.

The Fishman donut crystal (I forget the exact name) worked pretty well and sounds pretty good, but the installation is fussy. You have to use one screw (the one under the saddle) to do two adjustments. And the adjustments have to be done when the coverplate is off. So there's a setup period where you might have to assemble, string, tune and check the pickup several times in order to get it right. That's potentially several hours on a five-string instrument, since the middle string hides the adjustment screw! All that said, once the pickup is in correctly, it sounds good and has plenty of output.

I have plans to try the K&K pickup. It uses a spring to tension the donut, and so one of the two adjustments should be automatic - that's a substantial improvement, from the builder's point of view.

(Brad, just got the top glued on your instrument yesterday!)
    Maker of The Mandonator(TM) custom resonator mandolins.

I play them, too. Also guitar, bass and percussion. find out more here;http://www.tophergayle.com

I've put K and K's in a couple of resos, and they worked great.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher Gayle View Post
    I have plans to try the K&K pickup. It uses a spring to tension the donut, and so one of the two adjustments should be automatic - that's a substantial improvement, from the builder's point of view.

(Brad, just got the top glued on your instrument yesterday!)
    Thanks, Topher. I"m eagerly awaiting the completion of Mandonator #19! I've been checking the progress photos on your website.

I've been thinking about the amplification options again lately, and I'm anxious to hear how the K&K performs. I'm also still considering the Hot Plate, although it's considerably more money (and I wonder about its effects on acoustic sound), as well as clip-on microphone option foldedpath mentions above.

I use a combination of piezo under the biscuit and a Lace resonator humbucker under the plate. I get piezo's from my local electronics supply shop in packs of 10 for $4. Same technology and sound as K&K at a fraction of the cost.

On the humbucker, I didn't want to cut through the cover so I first tried mounting a small Lace Resonator humbucker under the plate. It worked but there wasn't enough output so Lace made a special hot-wound version for me. It works better but it's not as hot as I'd like so I may yet have to cut a hole in the plate to get it closer to the strings.

Piezo's and humbuckers have their strengths and weaknesses. I find the "best" tone comes from a combination of both.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Oh, the Hot Plate most likely won't work with the spider bridge as the pickup projects below the plate into the space where the spider is.

We can sacrifice a couple of the highest frets and put a Lace Sensor at the end of the fret board. I haven't tried it yet on a mando, but it works fine on my National guitar.

I also have just seen a really nice Fishman spider bridge pickup that fits in the saddle slot, replacing the maple saddle. Two wires run off to the jack. It's got plenty of output and sounds great. So that may e the best approach.

The back is braced, attached, and trimmed, and the binding ledges have been cut. Progess is so slow. I have too many fun things to do, like teach at California Coast Music Camp next week!

I play them, too. Also guitar, bass and percussion. find out more here;http://www.tophergayle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Topher Gayle View Post
    Oh, the Hot Plate most likely won't work with the spider bridge as the pickup projects below the plate into the space where the spider is.
    Can't say I know much about spider bridges, but doesn't the Hot Plate use a normal type of magnetic pickup? If so, it will react to the vibration of the strings and not really care what is happening with the bridge. As long a the pickup is close enough to the strings to sense the vibrations I don't think it will be a problem?!@#?

- ---==< V >==--- -

Verne,

You are right about the interaction of the magnetic pickup and the strings.

The problem is mechanical. though, not magnetic. On the hot plate that I looked at for guitar, the magnetic pickup has some thickness and is mounted in a hole in the coverplate (and so is the 1/4" jack, as well. So these two components stick down below the level of the coverplate.

These will interfere with the spider, which is just a few mm under the coverplate. I wish I had a photo to post here. but I don't!

Thank for the explanation Topher. I get it now.

- ---==< V >==--- -

I think the people who invent a pickup made on flat film with an adhesive backing will make a fortune [if it sounds good].

- ---==< V >==--- -

Might fit a mini mic, lavalier type. into the body under the cone ..
    physically only hearing the cone right on top of it
    should make S/N level fine.

only monitor, moving the cone, from the outside, to contend with,
    for acoustic feedback..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Rigel G-110 Resophonic has the standard Rigel p/u installed...