Thread: Jams in Boston?

Default Jams in Boston?

Does anyone know of any jams in metro Boston? (not counting the Old Time Jam in Waltham, Mondays at Sandy's, or the Burren on Saturday). None of those work for me, for one reason or another.

Thanks all!
    jc.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: Jams in Boston?

Boston Bluegrass Union has a callender that lists most of what is around.
    BBU.org

Tuesdays at Cantab Lounge, Central Square, Cambridge.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks guys.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

The Cantab is a good one, usually starts around 9:30pm or so on Tuesdays. There's also one in JP/Dorchester on Sundays (depending on the season/weather). In the summer the jam is typically at Jamaica Pond and in the winter it's at Gerard's Restaurant in Dorchester near Ashmont. I have yet to go but may pop in tomorrow. The guy who runs the jam usually posts something about it on craigslist. If you happen to work in Boston, I sometimes meet some friends to pick at lunch time in Southie too.

Also just stumbled upon the below link from craigslist, looks like a mandolin/violin jam at the Garage in Cambridge on 11/29 at 7PM.

http://www.meetup.com/Violin-and-Man...ents/91457842/

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but I saw the title and thought the people I am trying to get in touch with might be looking at it.

I am what I think you would call and advanced beginner. Playing for about a year and a half, have a couple of dozen tunes under my belt and can play reasonably good chop chords. What I am miserable at is playing with others. I have been to some jams, and enjoyed them, but there are few that I can make it to on a regular basis due to time and location.

I am looking to meet one or two other begining to intermediate bluegrass/old time musicians that live in or near the I-495 corridor north and west of Boston (say between Rt 3 and the Pike) that would like to get together once every couple of weeks for a couple of hours. Mando, guitar, fiddle, and yes even a banjo player would be welcome. I am not looking to set up a formal or even informal jam. Just a couple of folks getting together to learn and play so we can be better when we do get into bigger jams.