Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Comparing Northfield with Kentucky KM 1500

Blog Entries

Default Re: Comparing Northfield with Kentucky KM 1500

Yes, that does have a 'meatier', richer voice..in addition to quite a bit more volume, but.... I'd add that my other Fern (March 29, 2000) signed by Charlie Derrinton, is kind of mid-way between that and 'drier' voice of the KM-1000, though it too has lots of volume.... so, you definitely get quite a bit of variation, even between "identical" models.... put 5 side-by-side and they all have their own characters, newer mandos or original Loars. I'd very much like to try a Northfield for an extended period - only ever seen one, and that was not under ideal conditions. My initial impression was that it was a fine mandolin.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I take your point that it does help to hear an instrument do different things... certainly in future I'll throw in a few slow bluesy licks and a bit of crosspicking. You're right. Blue Grass Stomp is a good one for putting a mando through its paces. Not sure about "My Sweet Blue Eyed Darling" being at less that 80 BPM, though, I have not measured it, but Monroe used to move along pretty quick on that one! Of course, you could add in chops and tremolo.. but there's only so much you can do in a short clip.
    Sweet Blue Eyed Darling is played pretty quickly by Bill Monroe, definately a lot faster than 80 bpms. I just named that tune because it is quite nice for fiddle technique on the mandolin, you could throw in a tremolo here and there, a bluesy intro or outro, some chop licks... Itīs not a blues powerhouse tune like BG Stomp but it has its qualities if you do not want to get really slow (like maybe Smoky Mt Schottische, Evening Prayer Blues, Slow And Easy Blues etc.)

I would still like to hear your clips (or maybe part of them) with the addition of one of your guitars (recorded under the same conditions.

A good effort to show the differences in two mandolins anyhow.
    Olaf

Come see my band, Larry Keel and Natural Bridge, on the Mountain Song at Sea cruise with my newly endorsed, master model F5 by James Bernabe!!!! .... If I get a flight case by the, maybe I can bring the Brazilian rosewood '76 Tennessee A as well!!

www.bernabemandolins.com

I want to bump this. Almeria, now that you own a Northfield, what are your thoughts?

Blog Entries

I have been enormously impressed by the Northfield. I find myself playing it a lot. It's very well made, using great materials (this one has the 'upgraded' wood option),great 'fit and finish' and I really cannot fault it. It sounds powerful, complex, and I've played some mandolins at three times the price I like less. It's a really high class instrument, by any standards. Most certainly a serious contender in the mandolin market. Now, as always, there will be some variability, and not everyone's preferences run the same way, but I'd say that anyone looking for a really fine mandolin should at least check these out (if they can find one).

I see you have #121!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I have been enormously impressed by the Northfield. I find myself playing it a lot. It's very well made, using great materials (this one has the 'upgraded' wood option),great 'fit and finish' and I really cannot fault it. It sounds powerful, complex, and I've played some mandolins at three times the price I like less. It's a really high class instrument, by any standards. Most certainly a serious contender in the mandolin market. Now, as always, there will be some variability, and not everyone's preferences run the same way, but I'd say that anyone looking for a really fine mandolin should at least check these out (if they can find one).

I see you have #121!

Almeria Strings My original question was based on a comparison of Ky 1500 and Northfield. Now that you have a Northfield, I'd love to hear how it compares with your Ky 1000 (and the post-flood Gibson). Thanks again for your willingness to provide us with very good comparisons. Your playing is superb!