Thread: Punch Brothers Ahoy! EP

Default Punch Brothers Ahoy! EP

My pre-ordered copy arrived while I was out of town on business this past week, so I haven't listened yet. It includes Squirrel of Possibility and Down Along the Dixie Line, one of my favorite Gillian Welch / David Rawlings tunes. I assume other forum members are beginning to receive their copies as well. Any early reviews to share?

Default Re: Punch Brothers Ahoy! EP

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    Any early reviews to share?
    Ok then - I just finished my first listen, and here's my brief take. If you are expecting to hear a Punch Brothers recording, your expectations will be fulfilled! Down Along the Dixie Line was the high water mark for me. The PB turn this beautiful but lugubrious Welch/Rawlings tune into an energetic bluegrass barn-burner. Icarus Smicarus is PB at their most dissonantly challenging. More unfathomably virtuosic - and harmonically genre-bending bluegrass from this bleeding-edge ensemble. (How's that for as many $0.25 words as possible in a single sentence?!)

Hey! This is a FUN recording. I've owned it for 15 minutes, so I won't try to review it. But how about that instrumental by Paul Kowert?! That's a damn nice fiddle tune.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

The whole EP is available to listen to on http://www.rdio.com
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Duncan For This Useful Post:

I've been listening to it quite a bit in the last few days. It's one of the more approachable Punch Bros recordings, and I've listened to it more times in the last 36 hours that I have their last full length LP (Who's Feeling Young Now) in the last two months. Every tune in the EP is a delight to listen to. My favorite is the opening track 'Another New World' which goes from a very mournful start to a climatic ending that leads nicely into the new track 'Down Along the Dixie Line'.

Yeah. And if their version of Down Along the Dixie Line is too fast for you to play along with, you can try the original by Gillian Welch at 1/4 the tempo!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

Their take on Down Along the Dixie Line is great. While I really like and appreciate CT's version of Another New World; I don't think it quite hits the strength of Ritter's original. I could also be biased though as JR is definitely one of my favorites.

CT ran really hit it on vocals too - something I've constantly been impressed with is his phenomenal mando talent, layered with a stellar voice.

Good stuff.
    ------------------------
    VeniatRegnum

Definitely digging this more than their other releases. Good looks OP.

I think this is a great EP. I just wonder why they put one of the songs from the "Who's Feeling Young Now" LP on it. Moonshiner is on both. That being said, the four new tracks are great. I particulary like Icarus Smicarus.

Have been listening to the download for awhile. Another New World is just haunting. Looking forward to seeing the Punch Bros in Chicago in 3 weeks!!!!!!

I have really enjoyed Ahoy! For some reason Icarus Smicarus really irritated me the first time I heard it, and now I do not mind it at all. I suppose this also fits for most of the Punch Brothers music for me. They have definitely required me to grow as a listener (for which I am thankful!).
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

I downloaded "Ahoy" exactly one month ago, and although I have been a bit of a skeptic up to this point, this may be the recording that actually pushes me into Punch Brothers fandom. I actually signed up for their mailing list a few minutes ago!

My favorite track on the EP is the haunting, evocative "Another New World". I have found Chris Thile's singing voice a bit overwrought at times, but on this song he really drew me in with his phrasing and delivery. The instrumentation is excellent, I really like the way the drama builds throughout the piece. I almost wish there were a few more solos in the song, but it's almost perfect as it is.

I'm a big fan of Gillian Welch, but I'm usually not a big fan of cover versions of her songs. I didn't really like Thile's version of "Wayside / Back In Time" on "How To Grow A Woman From The Ground" very much at all. However, I like the PB version of "Down Along The Dixie Line" nearly as much as the original.

The rest of the EP is good, as well, but just hasn't quite clicked with me as much as these two tracks. "Icarus Smicarus" was mildly annoying at first, but has grown on me some.

Based on these opinions, which other other Punch Brothers recordings would their fans recommend? I'm thinking about downloading the deluxe version of "Antifogmatic", based on the inclusion of a cover of "New Chance Blues". What say you, Punch Brothers fans?
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Antifogmatic is good and has more of a song based structure rather than extended pieces. The deluxe version is for diehards I suppose. Songs like Rye Whiskey are excellent:

Enjoy!
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Hastie View Post
    Antifogmatic is good and has more of a song based structure rather than extended pieces. The deluxe version is for diehards I suppose. Songs like Rye Whiskey are excellent:
    The nice part about the deluxe version is you get a second CD of all instrumentals...which is welcomed as well as a DVD from a venue in New York where they play all kinds of stuff not on any albums including the Bach Brandenburg Concerto.

If you don't have 'Who's Feeling Young Now', I would get that one along with Anti-Fogmatic.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON