Thread: Bone's guitar and mandolin

For affluent fans of such stuff, I just received this e-mail from a book search service:

Your search for: Guitar and Mandolin by Bone
    Matched:
    Guitar and Mandolin by Bone, Philip J.
    Schott & Co. LTD. London. (1954)
    Signed
    $449.95
    http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?bid=8197238143

Well at least it's nice and cheap and only has a few "bumped corners". I'll take 6!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I think maybe the whole autographed-and-hand-numbered thing drives the price up a little. I seem to remember scoring my copy for ca. $80.

For those who are interested in this book for the content, I have a copy that I would gladly sell to folks on this board. It is the one currently sold on #Amazon and B&N for $79. It took about 6 months or them to get it to me a few years ago.

Be aware that this is a library-bound photocopy of the original book but is complete and has all the same information. I have barely used it at all and would sell it for reasonably less than either B&N or Amazon.

BTW it is strnage that Amazon has it for $79 and they list another reprinted one used by another seller for $149. Makes no sense.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I bought my new, original copy in the 1970s for the then outrageous price of $35. That was a LOT for a student, but I had to have it!

Being a relative newcomer, this is a book I haven't heard of yet. What's in it?
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by (milazzese @ Feb. 24 2004, 00:04)
    What's in it?
    Little biographic articles with some illustrations on everybody of note to have had anything to do with classical guitar and/or mandolin by 1914, the date of the first edition. #The second edition came out in 1954 and some biographies were augmented at that time, but I don't think any were added (e.g., D'Alton is not included). #Bone is sometimes criticized as being slightly speculative and for including too much on "major" composers to only be peripherally involved in the title instruments (e.g., Beethoven), but this is still an early classic in our field, rich in verifiable info (alongside the speculative), and worth having (especially if you can find one under US$450).