Thread: Two Pipe Marches on Octave Mandolin

Default Two Pipe Marches on Octave Mandolin

Have just added a new recording to my SoundCloud page. A 2/4 followed by a 6/8 march, to see how they sit together. Recorded on octave with acoustic guitar backing.

Here is the link: http://snd.sc/QzgmOG

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Two Pipe Marches on Octave Mandolin

Very jaunty, John, though I must say I found it difficult to march to the second one - it's more of a quick waltz danced across the Rhine after war is over
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Lovely stuff, John. Those 6/8 marches are great fun on the OM - you're inspiring me to learn a few more of them.

Pete

Thanks, both of you. Bertram, given the time in history I'd imagine that had I been there I'd not have been loitering either! . Apparently Donald Ramsay wrote the tune hoping that his Pipe Major would play it as the Highland Light Infantry made the crossing, but the PM selected the old favourite Hielan' Laddie instead, so Donald's tune was not played at that historic moment. But a great tune, nevertheless!

The 6/8 marches are regularly played faster by country dance bands and become jigs, but I feel this can spoil the effect of the pipe tune as it was meant to be played - but then here I am playing it on an octave!

Another pair of nice tunes, really well played.
    Finding your SoundCloud page a great resource and a real help in my attempts to learn new tunes , thanks.
    Cheers
    Jim

Jim, Many thanks for your generous comments. SoundCloud is a great resource and one I am glad I signed up to - initially as a way of getting sound samples of my home-builds on to my website without having to store them on my site, and it just grew from there.
    Glad the tunes are of use and glas to hear from a fellow Scot - maybe we are not too far from each other? I am on the shores of The Holy Loch here in Cowal.

Blog Entries

Good stuff. I am going to learn the first one, 25th KOSB Farewell to Meerut. That just gets under my fingers and stays there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hi John, I'm just outside Edinburgh, but I know your area quite well.
    Learning "Barrowburn Reel at the moment, from one of your previous posts, nice tune.
    Jim

Small world, Jim, especially Scotland! My younger daughter lives in East Calder and works in Edinburgh University in the Law School. Perhaps we might meet up some time and share a tune or two.
    Barrowburn is a great wee reel.

Sounds good John. Would love to drop by if I find myself in scenic Argyll and have closer look at what you modestly call your "home builds".

Blog Entries

Great tunes John! I really enjoyed that! How do you record the back up then play octave to the tape?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Jim, please feel free to call if you are over our way.

Bernie, I usually record the melody first on one track then add the chordal backing on a second and sometimes a third track while listening to the main track on headphones. I like to start with the melody as this is the important part and any slight variations in timing (rarely use a metronome as I find it just too mechanical) I can then say are actually my putting feeling/dynamics into the tune . When I play with my band mates it is a case of listening to each other and taking up melody as required - I regularly play rhythm on guitar behind the accordion and try to get the effect a piano player gets. You quickly get a sense of the tunes and their timings when you play regularly with the same group of players, especially when playing for dancing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

I listened to a bunch of your pipe tunes... excellent job!

Very nice John, I enjoyed them both and several of your others on soundcloud. Never knew of the site and took a second to figure it out. Best to you