Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snark tuners damaging finish

Default Re: Snark tuners damaging finish

I don't keep my Snark parked on the headstock, but i make sure to pay a little attention to how it's being removed. How many scratches occur from dragging the pad across the headstock without the jaws being fully open? FWIW, I shelled out $10 for the Peterson iStroboSoft for my phone and that's a great app; it really nails the tuning!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
    Could they just come up with some other material, that won't damage finishes, to face the jaws of the clamp?

I know there are materials scientists here; maybe one of you knows of something.
    I noted that my intelli 500 has a round flat pad, maybe 7/16" in dia. but the Snark has a rectangular pad with
    ridges. Seems to me, the round flat pad is a better design, Also,,the spring tension on the Snark is stronger.
    I wouldn't leave the Snark on for any length of time,,just to tune. Don't like the ridges!!
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

Theres only one good thing about having an inexpensive, used, satin finish mando.

I dont care !

Like most things I buy, I immediately threw the instructions away and promptly left my Snark tuner on the headstock. The mark it left on my headstock was annoying but not unbearable. Next trip to the drugstore I picked up a packet of Dr. Scholls moleskin, a fleshcolored material with adhesive on the back. I think it's for corns or bunyons.

No further headstock marks. I've since put in the sides of capos (used on guitars only) and still have more than a life times supply.
    Tom Mylet

5. The following members say thank you to Tom Mylet for this post:

My camp: Clamp it, Tune it, Lose it.

I used to use a Boss tuner with a Matrix clip, which had a nice, light clamp grip. No danger of marring at all. But the Snark is so dang convenient...I actually think they could back off a bit on the jaws torque.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had a Eastman md varnish that had damge on the headstock from the PO who left a tuner clipped on. I have no idea if it was a Snark, but I suspect it was, or how long he left it on there.

Although I own one, I'm not a huge fan of the Snark. I think they look ridiculous when left clipped on the headstock. After tuning, I immediately remove the little bugger. And one of the little doodads that hold the tuning dial to the clip part broke off. I guess I can't expect much for less than $10.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

It is true that mandolins will start to look used if you use them.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Baldridge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I've never had a problem with them leaving a mark I couldn't rub off. I was thinking about gluing a small piece of leather on the grips but the moleskin solution seems easier.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    I have marks on all of my instruments from clip on tuners. I have yet to use one of any brand one that won't leave a mark, especially on varnish finishes. It's just the price I pay for convenient tuning until someone comes up with something better.
    My same experience. My planet waves tuners left worse marks than the snark. I'll often keep the snark on for quite a while (4 - 5 hours) with instruments sitting on the stand or during a gig. I've had good success removing/minimizing the marks with Meguiars. I like the idea of using moleskin, chamois or other soft material between the tuner and headstock.

Just to throw in my two cents:

I do in fact have a snark clip on tuner - and it has in fact marred up the head-stock on my Loar LM-600 quite a bit. It just looks strange more than anything, and I was never really concerned about it considering I bought the instrument for it's gorgeous voice and not it's looks.

I do not know enough about my mando to know what finish it has on it - but the snark is definitely marring it a bit from me leaving it on through gigs and night-long jams with friends.

(Anyone know if it continues: will it cause any serious damage beyond cosmetic issues?)
    ~Henry Clark

I've been using headstock tuners since the first Intelletouch models came out. (Still have a "patent pending" version.) I've never left any of them on long enough to cause finish damage - tune, remove, repeat as needed. I haven't done that to avoid damage as much as to minimize the visual distraction in my peripheral field of view.

I don't know the chemical makeup of moleskin, but I wouldn't assume that it is safe for lacquer finishes. If the padding or adhesive layers are vinyl based, it could do far more damage than the original padding on the tuner. Likewise, some chromium tanned leathers react with lacquer. Vegetable tanned leather is safe, but may not be tacky enough to hold. Thin cork padding is likely the safest alternative and it is fairly slip resistant. That would be my first choice if I wanted to replace the original rubber pads.

The Snark left a wavy mark on my new Gibson. It's very faint, and I was to rub most of it out with a polishing cloth. You have to know it's there and look for it at just the right angle under a light to see it.

Does anyone know if the Peterson StroboClip has the same issue? I looked at one and it has a softer, flat pad. It's also fairly pricey, and I've been known to drop them or lose them.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Hmm , the bulkier intellitouch , tuner, and only issue is on it is fitting tapered thinner headstocks, loose,
    like on my A50.
    It leaves no marks.. i've noticed.

I put a lanyard on my tuner, [like the tools used on 'space walks'.]
    so if it falls it hits the arrest line before the ground.
    [Or, rather than drifting into the junk cloud in orbit above the atmosphere..]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm with 'trainmaster' on this. The Snark springs are stronger than they need to be. I also don't see the need for 'tyre tread' pads on the thing either.Those things would look fine on an SUV !!.Personally slightly weaker clip springs & a thin felt pad would be much better,provided it was stuck on with double sided tape (or similar) & not any type of adhesive that could bleed through the felt & damage the finish. Having just mentioned that aspect,maybe natural cork sheet (not the rubberised gasket type material) would do the trick.For anybody who wants (needs) to leave the tuner clipped to the headstock,replacing those rubber pads would be the answer (IMHO).
    There is one other option that the Snark tuner has,that of picking up the actual 'notes' played using the in-built mic. I've not tried it yet,but i'm wondering if the tuner was clipped to your strap close to the mandolin body,would that be sufficiently close to pick up the notes ?. It's worth a try,considering that it's meant to be clipped to the headstock & the mic.is intended to work from there- mmmmm !. Incidentally,i have tried the mic.held close to the strings & the tuner is spot on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DERIBBED SNARK.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	94715 I just removed the "ribs" w/sandpaper.
    I feel a lot better with a flat surface...no effect in performance.
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5

this is not a problem just for the snark tuners, it happens with just any other accesory with rubber parts in it, i have readed thousands of times the issues that can cause a guitar stands in the finish of guitars and mandolins with nitro finish...

they could put a cloth cover in the clamp, but the tuner would be more expensive and the cloth would wear soon... they sell a cheap product that can cause some problem (the same problem that pricier tuner can cause too), you must live with it or buy another tuner made of different materials, or a non clampable tuner

I haven't had any trouble with my Snark tuners, and I left one clamped to my octave for a couple of weeks at one point. Although two of my three instruments (including that octave) have satin finishes, so that might be part of why I'm not seeing marks. Generally speaking, I take the same tack as most people seem to be doing: clamp it on, tune the instrument, take it off, play.

I like the sanding-down-the-rubber-feet technique. Then how about covering (carefully, with glue) the nubs with those little green felt pads you see on the bottom of decorative plates and pottery?

If you sand down the ribs there is going to be more rubber making contact, which if thats the culprit, will just make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Why not a swivel out tab behind the neck where it joins the body?. Could sell a wee clip on chord crib sheet / set list holder too. Oh and a coffee cup holder too, and a place for clipping the screen for You Tube lessons...... ok I think I can see where this is going.

But a wee fold of lint free cloth will be thin but put a barrier between the finish and the rubberised plastic. I've tried it and it's no poorer at tuning with it in there. I won't bother using it normally as I don't care about a bit of normal wear and tear on my cheapo.
    That's what I did when I noticed some scuffing with a tuner I had before I got the Snark. Just sewed up a little cotton bootie to slip over the rubber pads. Didn't seem to affect the tuner function at all. I'll probably get around to making one for the Snark too.

Bill

Cork is NOT a better choice. My armrest came with a leather bumper on the top and cork on the bottom. The cork made a mark I cannot get off of the finish. The leather did not. I have since replaced the cork with leather. I've never had a tuner leave a mark, but I only use it to tune, I don't leave it on if I'm not using it.

For what it is worth I've left mine on the headstock for a year without any damage to the finish, though I do not have one of the delicate finishes mentioned above. It actually seems to be that constantly putting it on and taking it off might lead to more chances for scratches and wear than just leaving it there. However, I'll be more careful in the future.

Wow. I am learning a lot here. I have a Snark tuner. I tune with it and I take it off. No problems here.

The way I see it...if you don't want anything to happen to your mando? Leave it in the case. I bought mine to play and enjoy.

27. The following members say thank you to Dennis Peacock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Wow. I am learning a lot here. I have a Snark tuner. I tune with it and I take it off. No problems here.

The way I see it...if you don't want anything to happen to your mando? Leave it in the case. I bought mine to play and enjoy.
    You are absolutely right. People sure seem to get worked up about mere cosmetic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GDAE View Post
    Cork is NOT a better choice. My armrest came with a leather bumper on the top and cork on the bottom. The cork made a mark I cannot get off of the finish. The leather did not. I have since replaced the cork with leather. I've never had a tuner leave a mark, but I only use it to tune, I don't leave it on if I'm not using it.
    I've no doubt that some rubberized cork might attack a lacquer finish, but natural cork will not. Repairmen often use cork padded clamps on finished instruments without issue.

By the same token, some leather is safe while other isn't. I bought a capo once that had leather padding. I don't know anything about the origin of that particular leather, but it reacted with the finish on my guitar neck within the first week of use. I replaced it with a vegetable tanned leather pad and have had no further issues.