Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe I should part out my Loar

Default Re: Maybe I should part out my Loar

In the spirit of things you should sell those strings individually, that way you'll make more on the shipping.
    Jim Richmond

I haven't been to this forum in quite a while, and decided to check it out after posting an ad in the classifieds and ebay.
    I'm really considering the pricing on my mando considering it has a Loar era copy bridge on it that has to be worth at least a grand. Hmmm.

I would say, in that case, the very max might be $150.00. But, not likely that high, they are very common.

Suppose you had a Loar-signed F-5 and you knew the bridge on it was a modern replacement. If you were pretty sure this was really a 1921 Gibson bridge, maybe off some lesser model, how much would that bridge be worth to you to have a period correct bridge on your Loar?

Hmmm.... my reply above is meant to go with this quote. Sorry for the confusion.

You answered your own question Ken........ they are very common. As I said you, me and Darryl sell off our stash of 20's bridges for $2000 each we could take one heck of a cruise together first class in the Penthouse. But that won't happen as this one is not going to bring that much. It's in poor shape too. You could by a whole 20's A model mandolin with a 20's adj. bridge on it for that much. Duh..........

Blog Entries

Well for some reason no one has snapped up this bargain, Lora-era bridge. It is still for sale....
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

He should have pulled the trigger on my $5 bid when he had the opportunity :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    looking a gift horse in the mouth he was perhaps......
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    From the looks of it he is pulling something but I don't think it is a trigger.
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Wow that guys smokin somethin very bad or drinkin the wrong water!,If thats what that bridge will bring, I might as well sell some of my old parts and go on that cruise with some of you guys!
    On the contrary, I think what he has been smoking must be very, very good.

This bridge deal is an extreme example, of course, but I've noticed lately that people on Ebay seem to think any old mandolin or mandolin part is worth gold. I understand that vintage Gibsons and Martins bring a lot of money (comparatively), but I now see old Harmony, Regal, Silvertone and other cheap mandolins from the past with what I consider ridiculous starting bid prices, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANDOLIN-VIN...item257a825f38 or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kay-...item3cceb5dffd

I might like to own some of these old vintage American made mandolins, except the prices are prohibitive. Is is me, or have others noticed a jump in vintage prices on Ebay lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Summers View Post
    On the contrary, I think what he has been smoking must be very, very good.

This bridge deal is an extreme example, of course, but I've noticed lately that people on Ebay seem to think any old mandolin or mandolin part is worth gold. I understand that vintage Gibsons and Martins bring a lot of money (comparatively), but I now see old Harmony, Regal, Silvertone and other cheap mandolins from the past with what I consider ridiculous starting bid prices, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANDOLIN-VIN...item257a825f38 or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kay-...item3cceb5dffd

I might like to own some of these old vintage American made mandolins, except the prices are prohibitive. Is is me, or have others noticed a jump in vintage prices on Ebay lately?
    G'Day from Australia

It looks a lot like the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The Harbour Bridge deals usually have sweeteners thrown in like Tasmania and a block of flats (apartments). This one doesn't even have free shipping. I think I'll have to pass it up this time.

What are these people thinking?????
    Alex

Thinking - Ha! Good one, lad!