Thread: Question about Regal Octofone

Default Question about Regal Octofone

I just received a recent eBay purchase: a 1928 Regal Octofone... or so I thought. Upon receipt, I noticed a few things that were inconsistent with the other Octofones I have seen. I have a short window to return the instrument, so I thought I would ask here to see what you all make of the following things that made me suspicious:

1. Decal on the headstock is green oval "Regal," not the white "Octofone" I've seen on most. Did any years of Octofone have the green label?

2. The back of the headstock is black and lack the embossed "patent applied for." Did all models have this embossing or just the early ones?

3. The tailpiece is pretty ornate-- most of the ones I've seen are simple.

4. No label or SN on the inside of the instrument.

I'll try and post pics later today, but thought I'd get the question out there. The link to the auction is still up and pics can be viewed here.

Can't believe how many "octofoners" are on this forum-- I look forward to your help! Thanks.
    Last edited by zbaze; Dec-13-2012 at 10:29am. Reason: fixed link

Default Re: Question about Regal Octofone

1. Mine has the green oval "Regal" label.
    2. Back of my headstock is blank.
    3. I have a simple tailpiece as well.
    4. Mine's totally unlabeled.

So, unless you and I have two counterfeit Octofones, I think you're OK.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

woohoo! glad to hear it. i've only had it a day but have really fallen for the thing. thanks for the information. quick question for you, allen, as i've read a lot of your posts about this instrument on the forum:

given the delicate nature of these instruments, how would you recommend i string it if I plan to be tuned gdae? specifically, i'm wondering what gauge strings to buy and whether or not you tune half a step down. thanks!

Wish I could be more helpful, but I honestly don't know the string gauges that my shop put on after it came back repaired (the second time; long, sad story). When I go to replace the strings I'll have Dave dig out his micrometer and measure.

Side issue is that I have strung the G and D courses with octave strings, so there's one wound and one unwound. And also, I assume you're contemplating octave mandolin GDAE, not the same pitch as a mandolin.

So my only advice is, "light gauge." D'Addario J-80's go .012/.022/.032/.046; GHS are the same except the 4th string's .044. I'd try either but bring 'em up to pitch gradually. The Octofone scale is very short for an OM, so the string tension shouldn't be as high coming up to pitch. Balancing that, the O-fone is one of the most lightly-constructed instruments I've ever seen, and when I had mine originally strung OM without the octave strings, it developed warped-neck problems in short order. (Hence the retrofitted carbon fiber reinforcing bar, hence the replacement ebony fingerboard, not to mention the two headstock repairs...)

Take it easy, take it slow, and if you start seeing any deformation, pull the strings off and customize a lighter set. Remember, these babies went for $15 new when they were made; we don't have an F-5 here. Lovely instruments, but require lots of TLC.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

No need to post in two places. Most of us check all areas or look at the newly updated postings. I posted in the other thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

i ahve seen a few of these. regal must have done several models or just were not consistent. most i have seen have binind around the top. yours doesn't, but i saw one just like yours once as well. it looks right to me. i have noticed wide variation int eh sound quality. if you got a good sounding one, good for you