Thread: Good "starter" Bach for mandolin

Default Good "starter" Bach for mandolin

Hello all,

I've played a few Bach pieces on guitar and piano before, and am somewhat new to the mandolin. On the other instruments, I've used Bach passages as exercises to improve my technique on the instrument and then, eventually, learned whole pieces.

I'd love to get started right away on one of the easier Bach pieces that work well on mandolin. It is probably going to be a violin piece, due to the identical tunings.

Any suggestions or advice?

Default Re: Good "starter" Bach for mandolin

Everybody is playing the prelude to Cello Suite #1.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

The Allemande from Partita II in Dm.
    Bob Kirkland
    Rigel R100 Deluxe
    Mix F5
    Epiphone Mandobird VIII

Blog Entries

This might be worth your while. Standard Notation for The Tab-Addicted Mandolinist by Debra Chen. Lots of Bach there.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

5. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I would try the Cello Suites transcribed for Violin way before any of the Sonata & Partitas. The work nicely on the mandolin. As PJ suggested # 1 is pretty popular but others sit rather nicely as well. You can download them free from this page.

This book, JS Bach for Mandolin also has a nice collection of pieces you may enjoy.

For eve easier pieces, many of the Suzuki violin books have pieces by Bach.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

* Elizabeth Knuth's arrangement of the Bourrée Lute Suite in E minor, BMV 996

* Elizabeth Knuth's arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

* Danny Daniels' arrangement of Prelude from Cello Suite no. 1

* Danny Daniels' arrangement of the Gigue from Cello Suite No. 5

* Danny Daniels' arrangement of Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 5
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    * Danny Daniels' arrangement of Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 5
    I am not a big fan of tab anyway, but that one doesn't even have bar lines.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I agree with Jim. The Mel Bay book is a good place to start. I found that pieces I knew really well in my head, for example being able to hum the entire melody helped tremendously.

Bach's works continue to inspire awe for me! The time signatures of his preludes seem to agree most with my bluegrass style right hand. My Classical technique is a work in progress. Here's a video of one I've almost got down.

I don't think this particular Prelude is in the Mel Bay book. The Prelude to the third Cello Suite is. If you do get Bancalari's book I would say try "Bouree I" in G major. The piece is short and not too difficult.

Enjoy your journey,

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

bump
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

I'd start with Minuets...

Ed
    i printed all of your links
    and played them through a couple of times yesterday
    first-thanks-they are fun

second
    to everyone else-Ed's links are, regardless of other considerations, ie transcription accuracy to originals,

are a superb workout and exercise in getting nice legato and sustained ringing notes
    and the longest one, for cello was indeed a challenge at times

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Ed

to everyone else-Ed's links are, regardless of other considerations, ie transcription accuracy to originals,

are a superb workout and exercise in getting nice legato and sustained ringing notes
    and the longest one, for cello was indeed a challenge at times
    As far as the tabs for the Cello suites go, for GDAE tuning I would still play the CGDA tabs for a Solo performance (in effect transcribing up a 5th) otherwise the voicings aren't the same as the original. If playing with others in original tuning go ahead with the GDAE tabs.

Blog Entries

Start with tunes you already know. Read from the piano music. My experience is that most fits well enough on the mandolin. Violin music of course.

Easiest to start with tunes you already know.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

May also want to look at the prelude to the Vivaldi mandolin concerto. It was written for mandolin and chamber orchestra, but works well as a solo. I started mandolin last September, but have been working on it as a "stretch my technique piece":
    A google search turns up the score (standard notation only) on a Stanford site.
    Here is a link:
    http://xenon.stanford.edu/~geksiong/music/
    Last edited by avaldes; May-30-2013 at 10:47am. Reason: Inserted link to score

19. The following members say thank you to avaldes for this post:

avaldes: I found a Stanford site but it looks like there are some restrictions to access the files. You can post a link to a pdf -- it should be no problem.

In any case, the Vivaldi piece you mention is discussed here.

Also, I do not have the sheet music in front of me but you look into different fingerings for that Vivaldi piece. Your left hand does not need to move around as much as it does.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim, I had no guidance at all on the fingering, so maybe I need to revisit that now that I have been playing mandolin for a little longer.

Here is the link to the Vivaldi (looks like some other good stuff there as well):
    http://xenon.stanford.edu/~geksiong/music/

* Danny Daniels' arrangement of Prelude from Cello Suite no. 1 . This one has some *s, anyone know what this means?
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    * Danny Daniels' arrangement of Prelude from Cello Suite no. 1 . This one has some *s, anyone know what this means?
    I'm more familiar with standard notation than tabs, but I think those *'s indicate where the GDAE fingerings are sounding an octave higher than what is written by Bach. The cello hits some really powerful dramatic low notes on the C-string but the mando can't get down there.

That is why I think you'll get a better representation of the piece on mando by playing the CGDA tab fingerings on the mando (just pretend it says GDAE instead of CGDA and play as written). You will get a better approximation to the original, just transposed up a fifth.

Personally I use violin transcriptions in standard notation and they are transposed up a fifth. Therefore when the Cello is supposed to be hitting a powerful low note, you'll be hitting a powerful low note relatively speaking.

24. The following members say thank you to jmp for this post:

pefjr 

Quote Originally Posted by jmp View Post
    I'm more familiar with standard notation than tabs, but I think those *'s indicate where the GDAE fingerings are sounding an octave higher than what is written by Bach. The cello hits some really powerful dramatic low notes on the C-string but the mando can't get down there.
    This is why I generally shy away from playing the cello suites on mandolin - it just doesn't sound right without that depth. A big exception, though, is the 6th suite, which was written for a 5 string cello (CGDAE) and utilizes mainly the upper registers. You can even play it in the original key, with only a few modifications when the range goes too low. There are several violin versions out there that you can choose from. A warning - this is *not* a beginner piece. Granted that it's easier on the mandolin than the cello, but it's still incredibly demanding. Rewarding, too, if you're ambitious enough to give it a try!

The two part inventions are fun with a pal (or if you have recording capability, you can do both parts): http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...ns_00745.shtml

Is there a transcription/tab/book which shows the fingering? I get turned around and become unsure of which finger to use when I attempt the Cello prelude.

On the Bach prelude, in an early measure (5 I think) it goes D-c#-g-f#-g....
    I play the D open on the D string, then ring finger on fret 4 of the second string for the c#. Now, do I use middle and index for the g-f# part, or should I use the index on the g and slide down? Or something else entirely?