Thread: Recordings for practicing

Default Recordings for practicing

If there was a cd of, say, 20 or 25 of the most common fiddle tunes, each recorded at 2 or 3 speeds to facilitate practicing, and all excluding just the mandolin part, I'd buy it. Ever heard of such a thing? Brad Laird has some great examples in his paid lessons, and I've used those, but it'd be cool if someone would build a comprehensive resource.

Default Re: Recordings for practicing

Not exactly what you're aiming for, but it's a close relative: http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com/

Also, you might want to consider investing in some software like "Transcribe!" or "Amazing Slow Downer", which you can use to vary either the speed or pitch of a recording to suit your needs. It's also very helpful for transcribing other people's solos, which is the key to learning how to construct your own solos.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Also, you might want to consider investing in some software like "Transcribe!" or "Amazing Slow Downer", which you can use to vary either the speed or pitch of a recording to suit your needs. It's also very helpful for transcribing other people's solos, which is the key to learning how to construct your own solos.
    Is there any software along these same lines that is offered for free?
    Or at the bare minimum, a free program that can cut temp while retaining pitch?

It might help to indicate what music genre you're interested in.

"Fiddle tunes" means different things to someone playing Bluegrass, OldTime, or any of the various Irish/Scottish/Cape Breton etc. styles. The tune names can be the same, and they can even be derived from the same original source. But the rhythms can be very different, and the rhythm is critical to nailing the tune in your chosen style of music.

This book/CD set comes very close to your description. I have been working my way through it methodically and it has improved my playing substantially since doing so. The arrangements are very musical, and the up-tempo versions are ideal - fast enough to challenge but not so fast as to intimidate.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

This is the same book I am using..it works for me..
    AL

I use Audacity. It's free and open source. It allows one to change tempo without changing pitch, among a lot of other features.

Not what you asked for , but a really great resource just the same.

http://www.oldtimejam.com/Jam.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carleton Page For This Useful Post:

albehamAstro 

Quote Originally Posted by J Schupbach View Post
    If there was a cd of, say, 20 or 25 of the most common fiddle tunes, each recorded at 2 or 3 speeds to facilitate practicing, and all excluding just the mandolin part, I'd buy it. Ever heard of such a thing? Brad Laird has some great examples in his paid lessons, and I've used those, but it'd be cool if someone would build a comprehensive resource.
    Try Steve Kauffman's 4 hour Bluegrass Workout.

Someone has this for sale.

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/classified/4916

Amazing Slo Downer, VLC media player, and Audacity can all do what you're looking for.

You can get the Amazing Slow Downer Lite app free for ipad & iphone for free- try it out and can purchase the all-frills version... N.F.I. and used it for one section of a tune since I downloaded it today...
    Last edited by John Soper; Dec-26-2012 at 9:11pm. Reason: NFI notification