Thread: Peter Ostroushko's Mando Chronicles

Default Peter Ostroushko's Mando Chronicles

I just finished listening to the second of the three discs in this set, and am looking forward to listening to the third one tomorrow. The title really says it all; it's like around-the-world-in-50-tracks, covering several centuries of music. There is such a wide range to the set that I can't imagine people being able to agree on which tunes are the ten best. It's a great collection!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Default Re: Peter Ostroushko's Mando Chronicles

Chomping at the bit Amazon says it's in the mail

I received my album a couple of days ago and I've listened to everything once. All of it is great! I love hearing Peter play with Norman and Nancy Blake. The tunes he plays with Johnny Gimble show how verstile Peter is.

Been listening to Ostroushko's "The Mandolin Chronicles" on my commute to work and back home

I am partial to the second disc - which has the most Eastern European Folk music
    on the first disc - my favorite is "lantern in the ditch" although it seems familiar to "muddy creek" from Meeting on Southern Soil
    I was glad to see "the Long March through Texas" which I heard Norman and Nancy play ( without Ostroushko) many years ago - but they did introduce it as a Peter Ostroushko tune. It was great to hear the Rising String Fawn Ensemble once again - I have always been partial to the cello ( and mandolin) playing of Nancy Blake.
    "Monkey on a Dogcart" appeared on Blue Mesa previously , I think I prefer this version - it's a little more sparse.
    His sort of "jazz" treatment of Monroe's "Crossing the Cumberlands" is refreshing
    I must say Peter's interpretation of Duke Ellington's "in a sentimental mood" is my favorite
    it has been recorded quite a lot by acoustic players as well as Jazz groups.
    I'm not usually one for quirky stuff - but the version of "Entrance of the Gladiators" is quite entertaining!
    as stated above the Johnny Gimble stuff is really cool - how many version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" have you heard - I bet none like this!
    Also the Vivaldi mandolin concerto is with a smaller orchestra - so I was glad to hear it in this "fresh state"

a lot of different mandolins in use, with plenty of mandola and mandocello for those interested in examples of "alto and tenor' mandolin family instruments.

highly recommended

I'm a bit late to the party here but I picked up this set recently and have been listening to it. This is a great collection of diverse music, but what strikes me most is the versatility of Peter as a musician. The guy can pretty much play anything. I guess there are a lot of players who can do a bit of this and that, but he seems so disciplined in so many different areas that at times it's hard to believe you're listening to the same guy. Disc three is probably my favorite. I enjoy his interpretation of Vivaldi about as much as anyone's I've heard, and as someone else noted, the small orchestra really sounds wonderful behind the mandolin. It doesn't sound like a concert hall production and I like that. I also like the tone of his mandolins. Most players use the standard f-hole instrument but he takes the less traveled road with the oval hole. I love the f-hole sounds but it's nice to explore great music using other tones too.

6. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: