Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin tips for a violinist? :)

Default Re: Mandolin tips for a violinist? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomy Plunk#er View Post
    Don’t place it under your chin! Just messing, Great advice given here!
    Hahahaa wise words C: Yes I didn't expect this many replies ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Optional: you can keep using rosin - to make the pick stick to your fingers.
    :O oh wow, I didn't think of that could be interesting hehe thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am not a violinist -- I am a fiddler, but before that I picked up guitar so I had no inkling that a hard callous would affect my fiddle playing.
    Oh okayy, it's just that after I spent the holidays playing guitar, I went back to violin and the E string was slightly painful on my fingers haha :P But I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Ahh, I've derailed the thread, I see.

I'd better offer an antidote of something constructive. My skills as a violinist have diminished quite a bit with the years, but as an ever-learning mandola player who also still wields a mean viola, I can certainly identify with one whose right hand is accustomed to using a bow more than a pick.

So, Jennn, my advice would be along these lines: Don't be overly dogmatic about how you hold it, or what shape or thickness of plectrum you use. Experiment as much as possible, practice slowly and deliberately, keep an open mind, and ultimately trust your instincts about what works well for you. A lot depends on what kind of music you are playing, and learning more than one way to use your picking hand is definitely a good thing. In fact, I would have never imagined where my own experimentations would lead me.

Best of luck!

bratsche
    I am a cat lover too and that's good to hear haha :D

Thank you heaps for your help! I don't really plan to take mandolin professionally or anything so I probably should try to be a little less dogmatic as you said :P I just want it to hurry up and work! XD But I'll keep at it, thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Well at least the doubled unison course is broader combined than the single string on the guitar..
    Broader combined.. I'm not quite sure what you mean :o If you're implying that the distance of and between courses makes it easier than guitar, I think it makes it difficult because the wrist movements need to be bigger and precise x_X Maybe you don't even mean that though >.< I like your username by the way, haha.