Thread: Kevin Griffen, Eoin O'Neill & Quentin Cooper

Default Kevin Griffen, Eoin O'Neill & Quentin Cooper

Here's a great YouTube video I saw linked over at the session.org recently. It features Banjo player Kevin Griffen backed by Eoin O'Neill on bouzouki, and some mad mandolin backing by Quentin Cooper:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kevin Griffen, Eoin O'Neill & Quentin Cooper

Thanks! Love all of these guys and great playing all around. I play the Floating Crowbar fairly often in our sessions.

Cheers,
    Avi

That's ace, love the contra-motion going on in the backing and the mando playing is bonkers but really impressive.

Quentin's got quite an idiosyncratic approach to music. He was a rock and blues guitarist before discovering the mandolin and traditional music. I remember a friend of his telling me that, when he first moved to Clare, he insisted that he hated traditional music and would never play it. It didn't last long.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Thanks for posting this up! I met and played with Kevin Griffin a number of times in the 1980s in McGann's in Doolin (it looks a little like the video might have been shot there) and he was a big influence on my own tenor banjo playing as well as being a thoroughly nice fellow. I too really like the backing here.

I think this is great!

I would say Quentin Cooper is really inspired and I don't find it 'bonkers' at all, in fact I think it's very original and I like his whole approach.

The banjo playing is steady as a rock and - well, I think it's just beautiful, actually. I'm afraid I've never heard of Kevin Griffen. Obviously my loss.
    David A. Gordon

You hear/see more of Quentin Cooper and Eoin O'Neill here (among other clips) with fantastic Clare fiddler, Yvonne Casey:

Also, searching on The Ceili Bandits will give you a few hits.

Having met and played with Quentin on numerous occasions, I can attest that he certainly has a touch of the 'bonkers' about him - in a good way.

"Having met and played with Quentin on numerous occasions, I can attest that he certainly has a touch of the 'bonkers' about him - in a good way."

I kind of like that!
    David A. Gordon

The album Kevin Griffin - Eoin O'Neill - Quentin Cooper, Live at the Burren Centre, Kilfenora is great. It's a live recording of a lunchtime concert complete with baby crying in the background. I got mine from Custy's Music Shop in Ennis, it's well worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I would say Quentin Cooper is really inspired and I don't find it 'bonkers' at all, in fact I think it's very original and I like his whole approach.
    Didn't mean it in a derogatory way, rather that it's a very original and free approach. Also the talent and knowledge to play like that must be substantial.

OT I'm going to order your book shortly

Quote Originally Posted by paganskins View Post
    Didn't mean it in a derogatory way, rather that it's a very original and free approach. Also the talent and knowledge to play like that must be substantial.

OT I'm going to order your book shortly
    It's ok, I thought you probably thought that. Judging by his appearance, I should think he may well like to present a slightly 'bonkers' persona but as you say it is indeed a very original and free approach and he does seem to have the talent to pull it off.

I like him!

Hope you enjoy the book!
    David A. Gordon