Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands that should have a mandolin

warren haynes- soulshine

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Seems like a lot of people are thinking along the lines of grafting a mandolin onto the existing outfits. So now there'd be a newgrass/new-acoustic/etc. style mando playing some fills or a break and some backup.

That's OK, but I guess, but I'm on a different wavelength. #Instead, of "Creedence + a mandolin", #what of the mando-player (acoustic or electric, single or double strings, mando register or lower) replacing one of the existing instruments without really altering the sound of the band that much?

What about making a mando or e-mando sound right at home in any of the following?:

Blue Oyster Cult
    The Police
    Robin Trower Band
    U2
    Santana
    Prince & The Revolution
    Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels
    Social Distortion
    Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    Quicksilver Messenger Service <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(mando replacing Cipollina)</span>

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Eric Hansen

Moody Blues ?
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Quote Originally Posted by
    Social Distortion
    The Mike Ness solo album "Cheating at Solitaire" which is very good, IMHO, has quite a bit of mandolin on it. Social Distortion in general is really good on e-mando. "Story of My Life" is one of my favorites to play.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

&lt;sputter&gt; "...mando replacing Cipollina." I love the electric mandolin, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

I like the idea of mandolin in The Police quite a bit, though I might vote for making it a quartet so the middle wouldn't fall away. I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...
    I've been playing with reggae & ska a little bit and totally agree. If anything, I prefer the acoustic to the electric with its additional percussiveness. I had a tuning issue the other day which left me with out of sync string pairs, and it sounded darned close to steel drum...

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I used to play some reggae tunes on the acoustic, and it's nice with the chop, you're right. Since getting an electric though, I prefer the sound of a single coil pickup for this kind of thing. Funny you should mention steel drum, I've played around with emulating that sound through various combinations of single coil, wah, reverb and sometimes delay. It's fun, for sure...

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

hey crucian, i love the way you think. how many folks would we have to provide you with to do a workshop in new england. i'd love a blues and a rock workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by (taboot @ Mar. 01 2005, 15:37)
    &lt;sputter&gt; "...mando replacing Cipollina." #I love the electric mandolin, but that's a tough pill to swallow. #

I like the idea of mandolin in The Police quite a bit, though I might vote for making it a quartet so the middle wouldn't fall away.
    Christian
    OK, mando in the Cipollina "role".

I'd asked about Cipollina's vibrato technique on Comando several years ago and was told by Banana (ex Youngbloods) , who had played in some of the same post-QMS bands as J.C., that Cip was doing it with his fingers. #"So, OK, I'll take his word for it" and decided if he could get that shimmery sound, I was going to get it too. #By the time someone sent me a copy of the Electric Guitarslinger video doc, which showed him doing it with a Bigsby whammy bar, I was beginning to get the sound as a controllable effect with just my left hand. At that point, there seemed no point in discontinuing the pursuit of the Quicksilver vibrato!

Which prooves the power of mind over mando!

Re: Police and the mid-range.... that's what mandola or low-tuned 5-string, or OM are for.

Niles H
    RockMando

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Quote Originally Posted by (ira @ Mar. 01 2005, 11:56)
    beachboys on "sloop john b." "surfer girl" and "in my room"
    Gee, Ira...

You and I sure seem to have similar tastes in tunes...

I *try* to play, "Don't Worry Baby" but, man...that's a tuffy... #To me, it's got those nice syncopated chords goin' that are just fit for mandolin...

I really like your idea for "Comfortably Numb" too...

Ira, Soulshine sounds pretty good with a mando when our jam band plays it.

Niles, Little Bit of Sympathy by Robin Trower is a blast to play on mando with the opening lick resolving to an open G. May be enough fun to push me over the edge to buy a Mandobird VIII. Now, if I could only sing like James Dewar......

R

Niles, Little Bit of Sympathy by Robin Trower is a blast to play on mando with the opening lick resolving to an open G. May be enough fun to push me over the edge to buy a Mandobird VIII. #Now, if I could only sing like James Dewar......
    Now we're talking!

Bridge of Sighs and The Essential Robin Trower get their share of regular car player rotation. Dewar did a good job singing; I would have liked to have heard Rory Gallagher with someone like Dewar up front on the vocals. #

If you want to hear one (maybe) the hardest rocking female vocalist album ever made, pick up acopy of Rats by Sass Jordan. You can find used copies at Amazon or half.com for a dollar or two. Think of a woman fronting Robin Trower!

"Don't Worry Baby" is Lobos doing a SRV thing.

Another of those bands that you ought to revisit is SPIRIT with Randy California on gtr. #They did some great stuff on the first four albums. #There's a 2-disc compilation called Time Circle which has nearly the entire first album (Spirit) and (minus one track) 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus and most of The Family that Plays Together and Clear, plus some previously non-CD and unreleased things.

I'm waiting on a Mandobird VIII, should get here today. Really need a solibody 8-string; the acoustic w/.pickup just has too too much feedback negatives at r&R volume I'll probably experiment on it (physically, additional pickups etc.). There are some things which I can just pull off more effectively on an 8-string than the 17" inch scale octave lower 5-string. #The stretches on the latter can be too long for certain doublestop voicings, and there a lot of split-string stuff which you can't manage with single strings (duh). Actually, I think that a doubleneck #(8-string, plus low-register 5-string) is the solution which will allow one to replace a guitarist without giving up much. You really need both (and a lap/table steel or slide tuned e-gtr on legs in front of is even better!)#Until I get Don Kawalek to help me to build a doubleneck, I may get a metal plate and bolt both electrics together with it. Maybe reshape one of the bodies so they nest together. Low-tech doubleneck.

NH

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocrucian @ Mar. 03 2005, 10:05)
    #

"Don't Worry Baby" is Lobos doing a SRV thing.

NH
    What does that mean?

What is, "Lobos" and What is, "SRV thing?"

I have no idea... but if you're puttin' down that song... #I've got a bone to pick with you...

No, always loved the tune, have occasionally messed with it myself.

Los Lobos doing a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of thing. It was either Cesar Rojas or David Hildalgo who said in interviews that they were intentionally going for a SRV-ish sound. (it's the first track on Los Lobos' How Will The Wolf Survive?)

Of course, if there is a different song titled "Don't Worry Baby" and that's what you were referring to, my post wouldn't have made sense, but I just assumed you were talking about Los Lobos.

Niles H

Oh... Sorry for the confusion...

I was referring to the "Beachboys..."

Ya know, "Well it's been building up inside me for, OH I don't know how long..."

I am unfamiliar with "Los Lobos" and all those other folks you mentioned... #But... if you are unfamiliar with that song by the Beachboys... #well... #I could post the lyrics and chords, but that's about all I can do, as I just can't do much on the computer, here... #It is a BEAUTIFUL song, yet quite complicated... #Weird chords...hard ones to play on mando... #Chords on top of chords... #It's very lovely... #And rhythmic...

Niles,

To pursue the James Dewar digression a bit further, I'm betting you are familiar with the duets he sang with Maggie Bell (speaking of powerful female voices) in Stone the Crows. I can imagine a mando part woven through "I Saw America." We could probable pull some of the jazz mandolinists along on that frolic.

R

Quote Originally Posted by (mandocrucian @ Mar. 01 2005, 12:14)
    ...Instead, of "Creedence + a mandolin", #what of the mando-player (acoustic or electric, single or double strings, mando register or lower) replacing one of the existing instruments without really altering the sound of the band that much?
    Related observation: I was listening to Lighthouse by the Waifs on the radio the other day, and realized that the fills and riffs by the harmonica would work really well on the mandolin. Anyone out there experiment with playing harmonica parts on the mandolin? (Although it might be tough to replicate bends and slurs on an acoustic.)

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Mad Dawg, #I've been listening to some blues by Little Walter lately and was thinking the same thing. There's some great licks there but I don't know if I'm up to the challenge. #I'm thinking a slide or maybe even an E-bow might be called for.
    Eric

...and you can put on some Blues Traveller for some even more intimidating licks! #

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

as i play both, but have been playing harp for a way longer time than mando, i hear solos very often as harp, but play on the mando. the tonal range is so close and the feel that you can get with tremolos etc... for that soulful groove is so easy to translate from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by (jmkatcher @ Mar. 01 2005, 16:03)
    I would love to hear just about any reggae band swap an electric mandolin for the rhythm guitar in the standard lineup...
    I've been playing with reggae & ska a little bit and totally agree. #If anything, I prefer the acoustic to the electric with its additional percussiveness. #I had a tuning issue the other day which left me with out of sync string pairs, and it sounded darned close to steel drum...
    the reggae thing works great on mando , if you can get the chop going right , No Woman no cry , redemption song are a couple that we been jammin' on mon #

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I think Flatt & Scruggs would have sounded totally cool with a mandolin!

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

went to see rusted root last night in boston. great show. i've seen them open for folks once or twice in the past, but never bought any of their music.
    amazing percussions- polyrythmic and fun.
    they would sound superb with a mando on many if not all of their tunes.

Rusted Root used a mando on virtualy every track of their CD Remember.

Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

nothing mando happening in their live show, but its all good.