Thread: Vocal mic for recording recommendations

Default Vocal mic for recording recommendations

Howdy

What do some of you folks like for recording vox in a home studio. Approximate $500 price range.

Thanks

Default Re: Vocal mic for recording recommendations

Totally depends on what kind of vocalist you are (Frank, Sting, Waits, or ?), and whether or not you are recording the vocals in a live band situation or overdubbing...

Live with a band in a room--a good cardioid ribbon or a Shure SM7 will help isolate the vocal nicely, and yet still sound great...

ODs could be any number of choices, including the above...
    The trick is to try as many mics as you can (in context), and pick one you like...

My go-to mic on both men and women to start out with, is a Beyer M500 Classic, but YMMV...

Thanks. Should have been more specific; a general all purpose vocal mic if it's a 58 or 57 then so be it.

I really love my Neumann TLM 102. Small, compact, and gives me good results.

IG

A general all purpose mic an a mic for recording vocals in a home studio are probably different things.
    at $400 the AT4033CL is a good all around large diaphragm condenser that is fine for a home environment, but I wouldn't gig with one. I used this one for recording for many years before I acquired a Neumann TLM103 (~$1000)
    I have used and own the SM58 and 57 for live gigs, but I would not record with them, except for mic-ing an electric guitar amp to get a specific sound.
    I have both gigged with and recorded with the AKG C1000 ($200), a 'medium' diaphragm condenser. The Shure SM81 is similar, but has a different character to the sound.

Spruce is right that you should try a lot of different mics. Like mandolins, each mic has different characteristics to their sound, which your ears may or may not like. Many mics have a slight peak in the 2K- 4K region of the spectrum because most vocals sound better with it. Spruce mentioned ribbons, but keep in mind that they have a figure 8 pickup pattern which means that you have to be more careful with placement. Cardiod patterns are the most prevalent because that pattern is fairly one-sided. the C1000 comes with an attachment that converts the pattern to hypercardiod making the mic even more directional.

Then there is the MXL-990 (Large Condenser) and MXL 991 (small condenser) which is a Chinese made mic brand. If I was just starting out I would buy this pair ($69). That way you get a mic designed for vocals and a small condenser that is better suited for the mandolin and other instruments. I've done some recording with these mics and was pleaseantly surprised by their clarity and character. The 991 is a blatant lower quality copy of the KM-184. Grisman always uses the Neumann KM-84 for his recordings, but that is way out of your price range (current model is KM-184 $850).

I use a Rode NT1A (I have two). I don't know if they even make them anymore...

I am with Pete on this. I have two NT1As and they are amazing mics for the price. They sell up Canada way for 270.00 with pop screen and rubber mount. You DO need phantom power though. PM me and I will send you a link to some vids so you can hear what these mics sound like if you want...
    "Listen here Skippy. This here mandolin is older than your Grandpa, and costs more than a new Porsche, so no. No, I can't play any Whane Newton on it..."

I have a couple LDC mics, an AT4033 which has a definite presence peak. It works great on some voices. I have an OktavaMod 219 which is a very smooth mic with no sibilance at all. Very very nice. I also have Shinybox ribbon mic that I like on my voice as well as Beyer M88 dynamic mic.

I'd really check into the OktavaMod stuff. You can get mics that sound a lot more expensive than they are with his mods. I have a LDC capsule on order that will fit my Oktava 012 body that sounds freakishly close to a Neumann U67 (happened by accident). I'm looking forward to getting that one. Lots of sound samples on the OktavaMod site. Great mods for the MXL 990 and Rode too.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

Ones I have been impressed with in that price range:

CAD M9 (tube mic). Really a very nice mic. Not the best 'looker', but it delivers on a really clean, smooth sound.

BLUE Baby Bottle. Just a very good studio vocal mic at a great price.

sE Electronics sE4400a. Hugely versatile mic. Multi-pattern and works very well on instruments as well as vocals. A bit over budget (around $650) but great mics - I like these a lot.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I understand condensers dont like moisture, so the many pictures you see in studios of 1 or 2 spit screens
    in front of the recording Mic.. as the vocals are being recorded ..

Dynamic mics , this is no problem, and so live singers P and S away at close distances ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I understand condensers dont like moisture, so the many pictures you see in studios of 1 or 2 spit screens
    in front of the recording Mic.. as the vocals are being recorded ..

Dynamic mics , this is no problem, and so live singers P and S away at close distances ..
    I think you are making this up. Thos screens you see are because sensitive don't like plosives.

A variety of mics is a good thing. Every studio needs an sm58 and sm57 or similar dynamic mics in their collection. I think the MXL large and small diaphram condensers are a good way to start with an appropriate phantom pwr/pre-amp ( I use ART 12ax7 w my MXL) . you could get those 4 mics and the pre amp for a bit less than your $500 budget. of coarse you need stands and cords too. I'm not saying those mics are necessarily the best (for their purpose the shures might be) but a good place to start letting you experiment with close and not so close micing.
    Jim Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think the MXL large and small diaphram condensers are a good way to start with an appropriate phantom pwr/pre-amp ( I use ART 12ax7 w my MXL) . you could get those 4 mics and the pre amp for a bit less than your $500 budget.
    I couldn't agree more. I've used the MXL 990/991 combo in my bands for years and they are great for stage use. Certainly they're not as good in the studio as more expensive mics, but to start out I'm sure they will sound great. You can get the 990/991 combo at Guitar Center for $79.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

The People at Rode included re dehumidifying silica gel dessicant pouches, and Zip Lock bags
    with the pair of Microphones I got from them and that was the gist of the instructions

put the mic in the bag with the pouch to pull out moisture, once the pouch is saturated
    you heat it in the oven to drive out the accumulated moisture and repeat..

same stuff us used in cameras , to pull out moisture..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like AKGs for recording generally. The AKG 451s are around second hand for reasonable prices [plus they work well with instruments], and the other one i use currently is the AKG C2000b. You could get one of each within your budget and compare for yourself. I would NOT recommend the AKG C3000 series though - worst mic I ever owned.
    sapiens populus eo per camelus
    http://www.allsingtogether.com/

An AT4050 is an excellent all around microphone which can be had within your price range. It is a professional tool. Rode, MXL, and other low-end Chinese mics are cheaper but, with a few exceptions, awful (IMHO).

Blog Entries

Rode is not actually Chinese, but made in Australia. I have tried a couple of their tube mics (NTK's, I believe) on various occasions, and thought they were very good.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Shure KSM-44 LDC. Superb vocal and instrument recording mic. Also outstanding live LDC mic in a "quiet room" situation. Very underrated and sometimes overlooked mic. Ask anyone who has used one. Simply outstanding mic.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I've got an SM57, an AKG 950 and a CAD 179 condenser. They're all different and need different settings for each application. Fun to play with all that though.
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
    Shure KSM-44 LDC. Superb vocal and instrument recording mic. Also outstanding live LDC mic in a "quiet room" situation. Very underrated and sometimes overlooked mic. Ask anyone who has used one. Simply outstanding mic.

Tom

Sorry, I just noticed your price range was $500. Last I knew, a new Shure KSM-44 was about $800. When I purchased mine about 6 yrs ago I researched LDC mics available at the time including the comparable Neumann and Mojave and the KSM-44 was very highly recommended. If you could find a used one I'm sure it would fit your budget.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Registered User calgary.fiddler's Avatar

I would highly recommend the Avantone CV-12. Amazing sounding mic. Tube is the way to go for warm sounding vocals in my opinion.
    https://www.facebook.com/thewaronlight

https://thewaronlight.bandcamp.com

2003 Collings MF-5
    The Loar LH-600-VS
    Gold-Tone OB-250
    Martin 00-15M
    Eastman E20D

Registered User calgary.fiddler's Avatar

For a little less money the Audio-Technica 4040 is a great all around condenser mic. It sounds great on vocals and phenomenal on basically any acoustic instrument.
    https://www.facebook.com/thewaronlight

https://thewaronlight.bandcamp.com

2003 Collings MF-5
    The Loar LH-600-VS
    Gold-Tone OB-250
    Martin 00-15M
    Eastman E20D